Horseshoe bay-warwick beach

deedee290

Hi

DH and I are cruising to Bermuda in May on the Summit. We've been on cruises but never to Bermuda . I am putting together the places I want to see. Horseshoe Bay looks perfect but I am reading about Warwick beach. If I am understanding right, there is a path connecting these beaches as well as a few other. Can anyone tell me how far it is from one beach to the next?

We are thinking of spending one day in St george and 1 in hamilton and the 3rd at the Dockyard .Any commets would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is a satellite photo of the beaches and the paths that connect them here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33784717&postcount=17 . I remember a post that said there are signs along the way now, but to be safe, I would print the satellite photo. The distance from the norhteast end of the first beach (Horseshoe Bay, in lower left corner) to the southwest end of the last beach (Warwick Bay, in upper right corner) is about .6 mile.

The beaches you can walk to, in order, are: Horseshoe Bay Beach , Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove , and Warwick Long Bay.

I would start at WLB and end at HSB because HSB has full facilities.

SBtS

Can a taxi or guided tour let someone off right at the beach? I am thinking if there is a long walk to the beach from a parking area My Mom might not be able to do it. I would like her to see it but never being there myself don't know what is involved. She is moble but not an endurance walker esp inclines. Thanks for ahy info.

Hi

DH and I are cruising to Bermuda in May on the Summit. We've been on cruises but never to Bermuda . I am putting together the places I want to see. Horseshoe Bay looks perfect but I am reading about Warwick beach. If I am understanding right, there is a path connecting these beaches as well as a few other. Can anyone tell me how far it is from one beach to the next?

We are thinking of spending one day in St george and 1 in hamilton and the 3rd at the Dockyard .Any commets would be appreciated.

Thanks

this is a great itinerary - we climbed gibbs light house first then walked to horseshoe (which was down hill we saw exausted people who started at the beach and walked up to gibbs--- they were not having as much fun:))

and along the beaches toward warwick last year .... it was a wonderful day !! we were there the first week of may -- never too hot -- just perfect !!. there was a way to do this along the waters edge thru large coral/rock formations and sand(tides would play a part) or a natural path --which reminded me of a state park type walk//mostly sandy and natural. hamilton is hilly when you get off of the dock area...which in my opinion you should to see gardens and churches and the fort . and we walked from st georges to tobacco and many points in between. it was a long walk but not strenuous. dock yard on your last day will be just enough time to do what is offered in that area.

loved Bermuda so much --- we will be going this year too ...you are gonna love it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

We walked the path last year. Maybe we were doing something wrong, but not all of the beaches connect. It seemed like the path ran along an upper ledge along the beaches. At times, it was a little tricky to get down to the beach. We enjoyed it very much, but definitely wear appropriate shoes. I will be doing it again in May when I sail on the Breakaway.

We walked the path last year. Maybe we were doing something wrong, but not all of the beaches connect. It seemed like the path ran along an upper ledge along the beaches. At times, it was a little tricky to get down to the beach. We enjoyed it very much, but definitely wear appropriate shoes. I will be doing it again in May when I sail on the Breakaway.

You weren't doing it wrong. Most walk the path since it is near impossible to walk the whole way on the beach itself. There are outcroppings of rocks and the tides both present obstacles although I thought I read that someone manage to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a satellite photo of the beaches and the paths that connect them here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33784717&postcount=17 . I remember a post that said there are signs along the way now, but to be safe, I would print the satellite photo. The distance from the norhteast end of the first beach (Horseshoe Bay, in lower left corner) to the southwest end of the last beach (Warwick Bay, in upper right corner) is about .6 mile.

The beaches you can walk to, in order, are: Horseshoe Bay Beach , Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove , and Warwick Long Bay.

I would start at WLB and end at HSB because HSB has full facilities.

SBtS

Just read an article about HSB facilities in sad shape anybody confirm or deny.:(

Just read an article about HSB facilities in sad shape anybody confirm or deny.:(

I've only seen two items about Horseshoe Bay recently. One announces Horseshoe Bay being selected in the top ten beaches in the world, and the second was this, announcing that the planned upgrade of facilities at the beach had been put on hold:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130222/BUSINESS03/702229993

The latter article says nothing about facilities being in "sad shape", just that the upgrade project had been suspended. Can you provide a link to what you read? Please don't confuse the people posting comments after the article with the article itself. Just about every Royal Gazette article you read is followed by a slew of acerbic comments from people who seem to have nothing better to do than attack everything and anything.

Are the facilities at Horseshoe Bay overdue for an upgrade? No doubt. But if it's that horrible why haven't we gotten any complaints here when the posters who know Bermuda are always recommending you visit Horseshoe Bay?

We were there in May of 2012 and found nothing "sad" about it. The facilities were clean and the surrounding beachs and landscapes are natural and beautiful. What ever is done to up date there I hope it blends well with the environment and and isnt too "fake" or "touristy" .

~Karen~

I, along with HJH and SBtS, are very curious about that article and still waiting for a link.;) Until people get a change to read the article there's no way anyone can confirm or deny, except people who have been there recently, me included, saw nothing wrong.:)

• 2 weeks later...

First time to Bermuda and plan to go to horsrshoe beach. I know I have to take bus #7, but should take ferry to Hamilton first and then take bus or take bus from dockyard?

Also see people talk about ferry/bus pass, where to buy it and how much?

First time to Bermuda and plan to go to horsrshoe beach. I know I have to take bus #7, but should take ferry to Hamilton first and then take bus or take bus from dockyard?

Also see people talk about ferry/bus pass, where to buy it and how much?

You would only take the ferry to Hamilton first if you wanted to go there for whatever reason. Otherwise, get on a route #7 bus at the Dockyard and politely greet the driver and tell him your destination (Horseshoe Bay). He will call out the stop as the bus nears it.

The Transportation Pass is sold at the Visitor Information Center. There is one at each Wharf and near the ferry dock. In 2012, the 1 day TP pass cost $12.00; 2 day $20.00; and 3 day $28.00. You will have to pay cash for a TP. Also, the price of the TP is going up by 25% in 2013.

SBtS

The Transportation Pass is sold at the Visitor Information Center. There is one at each Wharf and near the ferry dock. In 2012, the 1 day TP pass cost $12.00; 2 day $20.00; and 3 day $28.00. You will have to pay cash for a TP. Also, the price of the TP is going up by 25% in 2013.

SBtS

Thank you! By any chance do you know the bus cost when I pay get on bus?

Thank you! By any chance do you know the bus cost when I pay get on bus?

The 14 zone adult cash fare is $4.50. It's payable in coins only. Bills are not acceptable.

The three zone cash fare is $3.00.

Bermuda is divided into 14 bus zones. For any trip over 3 zones in length you pay the 14 zone fare. Almost every trip you're likely to take will require a 14 zone fare.

SBtS

The 14 zone adult cash fare is $4.50. It's payable in coins only. Bills are not acceptable.

The three zone cash fare is $3.00.

Bermuda is divided into 14 bus zones. For any trip over 3 zones in length you pay the 14 zone fare. Almost every trip you're likely to take will require a 14 zone fare.

Not mentioned in my post or NJH's, is that you could purchase tokens to pay the fare with. You would buy the tokens at the same place, Visitor Information Center, as the Transportation Passes. The current price of a token is $4.00.

FYI, cash is not accepted as fare on the ferry. So if you use the ferry you will have to purchase a TP or token before boarding the ferry.

SBtS

Personally, i would go to Horseshoe first and walk toward Warwick. There are so many people at Horseshoe, its harder to catch the bus back from there. There was NO ONE at Warwick bus stop. and it has bathroom facilities. Also at the top of the hill,by the road, there was a truck vendor selling burgers and hotdogs and such.

Been to Bermuda twice, the walk was awesome. Little private coves to stop at and cool off if you needed to. Walked most of it right on the shore, altho there were a couple spots we were forced to go up to the trail bc rocks and tide made it impassable. Some people were walking around the rocks in the water, i was afraid to!! : )

Per my wife from her most recent trip there, the bathroom facilities at Warwick Long Bay are horrible...something you'd only want to use in an emergency. The facilities at Horseshoe Bay are much better.

No running water but there was a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Just my 2 cents since we did this the last time

We did Warwick to Horseshoe.

It was nice to end at Horseshoe with facilities and food. We didn't take a bus back though. We took a cab and it was well worth it!!!

We're going again and we will use the cabs instead of the buses. I hate waiting for the buses and trying to figure out schedules. On our meet board we connected with people to share the cost.

If you are worried about the crowds at Horseshoe, as you look at the water just set up to the left of the beach just beyond the rocks.

12806839_DgM9F9#!i=923328853&k=fcCqm7h&lb=1&s=A

Can a taxi or guided tour let someone off right at the beach? I am thinking if there is a long walk to the beach from a parking area My Mom might not be able to do it. I would like her to see it but never being there myself don't know what is involved. She is moble but not an endurance walker esp inclines. Thanks for ahy info.

at Horseshoe Bay the main road is a top a pretty steep hill that would be tough for those with mobility issues. if you come in on the bus there is actually a guy there that will drive you back up to the top for a buck or so. I would imagine any taxi could let you out right at the bottom by the faciltiies.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
Per my wife from her most recent trip there, the bathroom facilities at Warwick Long Bay are horrible...something you'd only want to use in an emergency. The facilities at Horseshoe Bay are much better.

I can confirm this as we were just there in June. The bathroom at WLB is more like a concrete porta-pottie. I would recommend entering only with a hazmat suit on. The facilities at HSB are actual bathrooms with running water.

There was a food truck type trailer in the parking lot at WLB for hot and cold snacks and drinks.

It's fairly easy to walk between the two beaches. That walk is one of the highlights of my trip. We did it several times.

I would hang out at one of the secluded coves between HSB & WLB and then walk back to HSB for the facilities when needed.

Archived