New York train attraction

RSteele

I don't know where else to go to get some information for a friend...I know someone will beable to help me!

I'm trying to find info on a "tourist attraction" (we think) that was built somewhere north of New York City that has to do with trains. Apparently this guy had lot's of money and he used some of it to build a place that tourist could come and ride trains....see trains...I'm not sure. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

Hello RSteele,

I live in NY and am a train buff. There are a few train attractions outside of New York City, but nothing really close by. What you're describing, almost sounds like the original "Steamtown USA", which was started by Nelson Blount, in Vermont in the 1960's. Since his death, some of the collection was moved to Scranton Pennsylvania, to become the new Steamtown, which is operated by the National Park Service. If this isn't it, maybe you can give a little more information and I'll try to narrow things down for you. You might also try this link to tourist rail sites in various states http://www.cwrr.com/nmra/Tourista-NR.html.

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the "ESSEX STEAM TRAIN" in CT. IT is just off of RT 9, but it is at least an hr and a half ride from NYC.. IF you have a rental car, fine, but public transportation is NOT going to get you there. IT is a nice place, though. Several old locomotives and cars you can go in/on and a about a 45 min ride throught the CT countryside along the CT river. SPECTACUALR in the fall!

• 1 month later...

Archived