How does the disembark In Galveston compare to Florida

swaco

It's a LONG drive to the airport. Be sure to give LOTS of time to catch your flight (if you're flying).

We had one very long disembark there, but it was on Easter Sunday. I don't think they were adequately staffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It gets a bad rap. Folks point to RCI...but, RCI does not control customs and immigration or the USCG.

The ship is only there from November to April...which means that it has to go through full blown inspections when it arrives. Then it is up to the customs folks to adequately staff ....the staff comes down from Bush International...so at times they arrive late or understaffed.

We have had one boarding experience we did not enjoy. Otherwise on and off just as fast as any other port.

The advantage of crusing out of Galveston???? The passengers!!!! You will find the passenger mix to be warm friendly and outgoing! You will rarely find "attitude" like you will encounter from other geographical areas of the US.

It gets a bad rap. Folks point to RCI...but, RCI does not control customs and immigration or the USCG.

The ship is only there from November to April...which means that it has to go through full blown inspections when it arrives. Then it is up to the customs folks to adequately staff ....the staff comes down from Bush International...so at times they arrive late or understaffed.

You are 100% correct as far as you went. The folks running the Galveston port are the ones who supposedly negotiate for the services needed to smoothly process the ship & passengers.

THOSE are the folks that should be taken to task @ their inept handling.

If they are elected; vote them out. If they are appointed; insist on someone other than Bubba's cousin in the job.

As a Canadian I was seriously offended with the disembarkation in Galveston.

The USA Citizen line(s) were 4x what were offered to non-US residents and they flew through. Once their lines were reduced and even completed, they didn't open up more lines to accommodate those of us stuck in 3+hr lineups that would go 10mins at a time without moving an inch over and over. (not exaggerating).

It was unacceptable and all of us in the lineup were commenting that if this is how they are going to treat foreign visitors to their port (Galveston) then we'll consider other alternatives to spending our money. It was that bad.

I've been to several other ports and have never had a problem like this - Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and Miami all are much more efficient.

I'll not be going back to Galveston as a Canadian - I shouldn't be punished for bringing my hard-earned money to a Texas port so I can cruise out of it. I'll stick to Florida if it is going to be that much of a problem. Again, US Citizens shouldn't have a problem but I'd think that the economy would do more to ensure that foreign dollars are brought to the State.

The only time we disembarked in Galveston was one of the notorious fogged-in days, where the port was closed for an extended period of time.

Thank goodness we knew of this possibility and told our Houston friends NOT to meet us there. You can imagine the havoc this created with people who had flights to meet and some of the embarking passengers were horribly delayed. Especially the Carnival people as they were delayed more than 24 hours !

The process itself was the same as everywhere else, but the scene outside the terminal was chaotic!

10 cruises out of Galveston and only 2 badly delayed disembarkation - the infamous fog and one was Easter Sunday and apparently a lot of port employees "called in sick". A few delays boarding - one due to fog, the other due to a large % of Mexican citizens so the customs/immigration went slowly.

Heading South - sorry that happened. We've seen the non US lines when we cruise Galveston and they are generally shorter. I hope that was an isolated incident and you don't generalize that Texas was punishing anyone. After all, when I visited your lovely and amazing BC the first time, I was in non Canadian customs at the airport for almost 3 hours. One of my worst travel moments ever. It didn't stop me from going back to Vancouver! ;)

If they are appointed; insist on someone other than Bubba's cousin in the job.

Speaking of offensive.....

Please Beachin - we get it. You went on one Galveston cruise and hated the port. You are an expert on all things related to Galveston. Now I guess you think all Texans are bubbas. :roll eyes: Really - it's ok, you don't need to come back. We're fine without you.

I cruised out of Port Canaveral one time. The computers were down so hundreds of people stood out in the hot sun for over 2 hours. Nowhere to sit, no water, limited bathrooms available. Egads - the workers there should all be fired for ineptitude or maybe they are related too? Sheesh.

As a Canadian I was seriously offended with the disembarkation in Galveston.

The USA Citizen line(s) were 4x what were offered to non-US residents and they flew through.

Every time I have disembarked I have been sent to the USA lineup... the first time they got mad at me when they saw my Canadian passport in my hand and I was going towards the non-US resident lineup... Have no idea why but if it gets me out of there that much faster I go with it. (I do always play dumb and ask the reps which line up to go in just in case ;)

I have tossed around cruising from Galveston since the prices are pretty good but when you factor in the transfers to/from the airport and good seasonal airfare to FL it's kind of a wash :(

Please Beachin - we get it. You went on one Galveston cruise and hated the port. You are an expert on all things related to Galveston. Now I guess you think all Texans are bubbas. :roll eyes: Really - it's ok, you don't need to come back. We're fine without you.

Dude chill; Bubba lives in every state & country. Nicer way of saying inept morons.

Say what you will but there sure have been alot of negative threads on this issue at THAT port. Coincidence ......sure ....... wanna buy a bridge?

De'nial - no longer just a river.

The perception of Galveston as a cruise port is also different if you are a drive-in cruiser vs a fly-in cruiser.

The folks that fly in have to deal with no rental car agencies on the island that are open on Sunday. I realize there are shuttle services, but the costs are high compared to places like Port Canaveral, which has a similar drive from the airport. They also have to deal with hotels that many times want a 2 day stay on the weekend.

Fog that delays disembarkation is not a huge deal for the drive-in cruiser, but can be much more inconvenient for the fly-in cruiser.

Just got off the Mariner today. We were the first group(56) off after self assist. We were asked to meet in The Savoy Theater at 8:15. We were told once the lines in the terminal were gone they would call our group. Our group was called around 8:30. From the time our group was called to the time I was sitting on the bus for my airline transfer it was an hour. Not too bad....could have been a lot worse!

Just got off the Mariner today. We were the first group(56) off after self assist. We were asked to meet in The Savoy Theater at 8:15. We were told once the lines in the terminal were gone they would call our group. Our group was called around 8:30. From the time our group was called to the time I was sitting on the bus for my airline transfer it was an hour. Not too bad....could have been a lot worse!

We are heading out on the Mariner Sunday! We have been on the Mariner a few times, but I am always anxious to hear how the shows were, food, and anything else you would like to share! Hope your cruise was awesome!

The staff were wonderful. The sailing prior to ours had an outbreak of the norovirus so our embarkation onto the boat was delayed a little. The crew was wonderful about sanitizing everything. They reminded you frequently to use the hand sanitizers. Our first three days in the Windjammer you were not allowed to serve yourselves. You couldn't even serve yourself syrup, drinks, or creamer. It was really nice to know they were taking precautions. After the first couple days I guess no cases were reported and they allowed you to serve youself after that. We ate in the MDR every evening. Some nights were better than others food wise. We are very picky eaters and not very adventurous when it comes to food so we are probably not the best judge on that front.:) All in all though the food was good. The soft serve ice cream (my fav) as always was wonderful :D.The Shows were really good. We especially enjoyed Ice Under The Big Top, Center Stage, and The Unexpected Boys.

Here is the schedule for the shows for our sailing:

Sunday Jan 27, 2013

Welcome Aboard Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and Comedy of Dan Grueter also the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers and the Mariner Orchestra

7:15 One Show only

Monday Jan 28, 2013

Ice Under the Big Top (Ice Show)

2:30 and 4:30 (Tickets went really fast so make sure you get in line around 9 am if you want tickets for that day's show)

Center Stage

VERY good show!!

8:30 and 10:15

Tuesday Jan 29, 2013

The Unexpected Boys

Loved this show!

6:30 and 8:30

Late Night Comedy with Dan Grueter

10:30

Wednesday Jan 30, 2013

Ice Under The Big Top

Love and Marriage Game Show

10:00

Thursday Jan 31, 2013

Gallery of Dreams

The costumes and the general idea for the show was good but I was not too impressed with the music

Friday Feb 1, 2013

Ian Finkel World's Greatest Xylophonist

Somehow he ended up on the boat without his xylophone and didn't realize it until Friday so the Mickey Utley Band performed instead.

The Quest

10:15

Saturday Feb 2, 2013

Farewell Variety Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and juggling act of Mike Price

7:15 One show only

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. As just having got off the boat I'm tired and my brain is not functioning quite like it should! Feel free to ask away:)

We sailed from Galveston one time. It may be great for folk who drive to the port, but we found it a pain since we have to fly, and the transfer took over an hour. It is the ONLY port, out of 25 cruises, where we had to use the ship's airport transfers and stay at the ship's pre-cruise hotel, because we could not find a decent alternative. The disembarkation was a "mess", as the port did not seem prepared to handle the 2 ships which arrived at the same time. The cruise, itself, was enjoyable, and the hotel was very nice, but we will not cruise from there in the future.

We debarked from the Mariner on 1/20. We had suite debarkation and it was a breeze. All the suite guests had breakfast in Chops and then Luca (concierge) came by around 8:25 and led us through the Solarium to the elevators and we went down to deck 4 and off the ship. We got a porter and found our luggage and got in line for immigration.

What holds things up is that every other week when the ship returns from the Roatan, Belize, Cozumel run there is a full immigration check. Instead of just looking at the documentation they run the passports through the machines and check the National Crime Info computers. All the birth certificate and DL info has to be typed in and these people are not speedy typers. It was taking 3-5 minutes or more for each family with passports to be processed and much longer for those without passports. The porter said that if you had any outstanding warrants, owed back child support or had a drug conviction in your past it would be "an ugly day." Apparently, Honduras is the cocaine capital of the Americas and they will search your luggage if you ever had a drug conviction.

To get through quicker get a porter and pay the few $$$. The line of people dragging their luggage around the perimeter of the terminal to get to immigration was very long, but the porter lines were short and were a straight shot to immigration.

Want to get off faster in Galveston ? Book a suite, pay for a porter and make sure you have passports and nothing in your past or present that will cause problems at immigration. We were told by our porter that they had a big drug bust when the ship first came to Galveston this season and that quite a few people were picked up for outstanding warrants and back child support so far this season.

Just and FYI to add info.

Some hotels require two night stays, usually during holiday periods or spring break, etc. But, you are not restricted to two night stays. There are a ton of hotels near Hobby Airport and any one of several local transfer companies can offer reasonable tranfers without sitting on a bus and waiting for others...ie, Super Shuttle, Galveston Limo, etc.

Yes, Galveston is a smaller port, but its service is at a level where you can anticipate a great cruise.

The staff were wonderful. The sailing prior to ours had an outbreak of the norovirus so our embarkation onto the boat was delayed a little. The crew was wonderful about sanitizing everything. They reminded you frequently to use the hand sanitizers. Our first three days in the Windjammer you were not allowed to serve yourselves. You couldn't even serve yourself syrup, drinks, or creamer. It was really nice to know they were taking precautions. After the first couple days I guess no cases were reported and they allowed you to serve youself after that. We ate in the MDR every evening. Some nights were better than others food wise. We are very picky eaters and not very adventurous when it comes to food so we are probably not the best judge on that front.:) All in all though the food was good. The soft serve ice cream (my fav) as always was wonderful :D.The Shows were really good. We especially enjoyed Ice Under The Big Top, Center Stage, and The Unexpected Boys.

Here is the schedule for the shows for our sailing:

Sunday Jan 27, 2013

Welcome Aboard Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and Comedy of Dan Grueter also the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers and the Mariner Orchestra

7:15 One Show only

Monday Jan 28, 2013

Ice Under the Big Top (Ice Show)

2:30 and 4:30 (Tickets went really fast so make sure you get in line around 9 am if you want tickets for that day's show)

Center Stage

VERY good show!!

8:30 and 10:15

Tuesday Jan 29, 2013

The Unexpected Boys

Loved this show!

Late Night Comedy with Dan Grueter

10:30

Wednesday Jan 30, 2013

Ice Under The Big Top

Love and Marriage Game Show

10:00

Thursday Jan 31, 2013

Gallery of Dreams

The costumes and the general idea for the show was good but I was not too impressed with the music

Friday Feb 1, 2013

Ian Finkel World's Greatest Xylophonist

Somehow he ended up on the boat without his xylophone and didn't realize it until Friday so the Mickey Utley Band performed instead.

The Quest

10:15

Saturday Feb 2, 2013

Farewell Variety Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and juggling act of Mike Price

7:15 One show only

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. As just having got off the boat I'm tired and my brain is not functioning quite like it should! Feel free to ask away:)

Well, no one is answering the OP's question, and I can't either since we've gone out of Galveston on every cruise but 1. Never had any problem other than fog a couple of times.

Thanks for this unrelated post however, as we will be on Mariner on Feb 17 and appreciate this information. Xylophonist forgot his Xylophone??! Hilarious!

• 4 weeks later...
10 cruises out of Galveston and only 2 badly delayed disembarkation - the infamous fog and one was Easter Sunday and apparently a lot of port employees "called in sick". A few delays boarding - one due to fog, the other due to a large % of Mexican citizens so the customs/immigration went slowly.

Heading South - sorry that happened. We've seen the non US lines when we cruise Galveston and they are generally shorter. I hope that was an isolated incident and you don't generalize that Texas was punishing anyone. After all, when I visited your lovely and amazing BC the first time, I was in non Canadian customs at the airport for almost 3 hours. One of my worst travel moments ever. It didn't stop me from going back to Vancouver! ;)

I cruised out of Port Canaveral one time. The computers were down so hundreds of people stood out in the hot sun for over 2 hours. Nowhere to sit, no water, limited bathrooms available. Egads - the workers there should all be fired for ineptitude or maybe they are related too? Sheesh.

Thanks Wolfgang....you're right it is a blanket statement about not going back there because of a bad day/experience and if the opportunity to sail from that port again presented itself I'd consider it. I'm glad you were able to visit BC and I hope you enjoyed it - I grew up in Vancouver :)

I think someone hit the nail on the head when they said Galveston is a great drive-to port vs a fly-in port. If I lived within driving distance I'd be there all the time!!

Archived