Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Sherri, thank you for all your wonderful reviews...enjoying this one especially since we were just on her in December. Also to add to other comments, I rather the smaller ships but the shows and what the ship has to offer is awesome...

Thank you! I'm with you...I do prefer the smaller ships, but I really did enjoy this ship....between the activities, shows, and restaurants, I was a bit overwhelmed....!

Sherri,

Will you be doing a report from the Top Chef cruise? I really think it will be a fabulous cruise.

MOST DEFINITELY!!!

Hubby says I need to tell Fabio that I am an EPIC FOOD CRITIC, so maybe I'll get special perks. I think just cruising on the same cruise ship as Fabio is a perk in itself. ;)

Enjoying your review very much. I starting reading before my cruise, we gone for 2 weeks and came back and I am happy to still be reading your review.

Anyway, I lost my photos on my memory card last year when we were in St. Kitts, my husband said, no problem you can recover them; i guess when you delete photos they are still mysteriously still there. He had me download a program and sure enough it recovered all the photos.

Arlene

Yes - who would ever guess that you'd STILL be slogging through this review, all this time later?!! I hope it's helped a bit with the Post Cruise Depression that befalls some of us...:rolleyes:

Silly Lady Person, it's an olymphant, everyone knows that.

Next time, when you just HAVE to go solo, I'll bit the bullet and accompany you. You know, so you'll have a chaperone :D

Excellent review, you're a hoot.

And here I thought I was ignoring the elephant in the room!

Ah, you think I need a chaperone? To keep me out of trouble??!! Hee hee..

And thank you...I'm glad I can entertain you. ;)

Sherri thanks for a wonderful and funny review, one of the best I've ever read. I've wanted to cruise Oasis/Allure since they arrived on the cruising scene but my husband wasn't keen on such large ships. I am now happy to say after your review and photos that he is really keen and we are looking at autumn (fall) 2014, as our 2013 cruise is already booked, and combining it with a transatlantic from UK and trip to Orlando then fly back to UK.

Now going to check out your Eastern med review!

THIS IS WHY I WRITE! I am so glad that your Hubby is now convinced to give this a try!!! Seriously, this DOES make me feel all tingly - to know that someone is going to have an AWESOME experience because of something I posted. Good luck - let us know how it turns out!

P.S. The Eastern Mediterranean review...wow. That's a novel. You'll finish that one by next year when it's time to cruise on the Allure. ;)

Absolutely love your review. I'm going on my first cruise in August and have a couple of questions. What do you wear in the Thermal Suite? Also where is the closest place for me to get a good cup of coffee in the early morning? I'm cruising with my sister in law who doesn't get up as early as I do Our canon is on the 12 deck and plan on taking advantage of the private balcony. Thanks

Yay - your first cruise...! As someone said below, a swimsuit in the thermal suite is fine...I only used the heated bed; didn't use any of the rooms, so sometimes, I'd just go in shorts and a t-shirt. They provide robes for you in the locker rooms...

A good cup of coffee??? Hmmm...keep in mind I am not a coffee drinker...so perhaps other readers will be able to give better advice...there is a Starbucks on Deck 5, in the Promenade...but that will cost you. You can also get coffee in the Cafe Promenade - where I got my Chai tea....

Sherri, I'm loving this review. Thank you! I found it yesterday & I'm up to date now. But now I have to go back and check on the your other reviews, especially the Europe one, as that's where I am.

Never really been keen on the idea of a huge ship but I'm changing my mind & I keep showing my DH the great photos to change his mind too. Food plays a big part in my holidays (in my life in general really) so I'm loving the descriptions and photos of your wonderful meals.

Less than 4 weeks til we go on our next cruise over here & can't wait. I'm feeling inspired to write my own review!

I hope you enjoy my other reviews; if you read the Europe one first, you'll then get some of the references in the other ones - such as "klingons"! ;) I became a foodie about 10 years ago, as I figure we have to eat anyway - why not make it fun and exciting and adventurous?!

Have fun on your cruise - I hope you DO write a review!

Sherri, Thanks again for your wonderful review! Sure are enjoying it in cold, snowy, Kentucky. We'll be down in Ft. Myers in late June! This will be our first trip there. Any suggestions on what we should do besides the beach and golf? Any restaurant suggestions would be helpful too. Sorry to hijack!

Oh, you're coming to #Dunk City?! (Sorry - can't help it - our own FGCU is doing phenomenal in the NCAA tournament so far! Our town is proud!)

Beach and golf are the big draws...shelling over on Sanibel Island and Captiva...shopping at some of the outlet malls...and visiting the Thomas Edison & Henry Ford winter estate/museum....

Restaurants - some of my favorites are Doc Ford's for seafood (YUM!), the Yucatan (right on Fort Myers Beach - the pompano sandwich is to die for), RumRunners (over in Cape Coral - good all around food), and the Prawnbroker - good seafood. Hmmm....seafood seems to be the common theme in Fort Myers!

Be sure to visit Norman Love Chocolates - by the Fort Myers airport; Consumer Reports said he was #1 in the country last year for chocolate. Has good gelato, as well!

On Fort Myers Beach, I love Kilwin's Chocolate Shop - for ice cream sodas, shakes or chocolates. Yum. :)

I'll be back here in #Dunk City after July 4th...for several weeks. I hope you have fun!

Izumi is located right next to the Windjammer…besides having a $5 cover charge (for dinner…lunch is a $3 cover charge), you then pay for whatever you order off the menu (however, note that the $5 cover charge includes your gratuity). In my quest to try all dining venues, I bit the bullet – although I wasn’t happy about the cover charge in addition to a fee for the food, and I’m not big on Asian food…so I was skeptical.

Interesting! Did you get a dining package? I'm don't understand paying for the dining package then also a fee for the food. I think the wonton soup is higher than our local Chinese restaurant, but I don't think we get Shrimp in ours. The hot rock sounds interesting! Back to the dining package, on our next cruise, we ordered the Royal Dining Package that is supposed to include Chops, Giovvani's and Izumi's. So, I'm curious about yours.

Really like your photo review! Looking forward to more. Be sure to bring the cruise compass to your next morning stretch.

Edited by knittinggirl

Restaurants - some of my favorites are Doc Ford's for seafood (YUM!)

Be sure to visit Norman Love Chocolates - by the Fort Myers airport

On Fort Myers Beach, I love Kilwin's Chocolate Shop

I'll be back here in #Dunk City after July 4th...for several weeks. I hope you have fun!

We'll be on Captiva the week after the 4th. How far is Ft. Myers from Captiva? I want all the chocolate you mentioned!!

We're actually visiting because hubby likes Randy Wayne White novels that are set on Pine Island and all the surrounding areas so a few meals at Doc Fords are a must (he's the main character in all the books). We live on the east coast of FL so we're driving over, staying at Jensen's on the Beach. Should be a fun vacation even if no cruise ship is involved :)

Oh, you're coming to #Dunk City?! (Sorry - can't help it - our own FGCU is doing phenomenal in the NCAA tournament so far! Our town is proud!)

Thanks so much for the great review. I'm another one who never wanted to go on such a big ship, but I think I've changed my mind. Lower prices would be nice, though, since I'll be going solo too. Now I'm going to look for your Europe review.

Just wanted to say that I saw FGCU beat Georgetown on Friday. What a great game! I had never heard of them - just took my nephew because he loves basketball. The game was so much fun to watch - love those dunks:)

Thanks for the Ft. Myer restaurant and chocolate information. I really appreciate it. We are still trying to decide where to stay in Ft. Myer 9on the beach).

We are staying for 3 days in Naples before we come to Ft. Myer.

Your reviews are EPIC. We really appreciate you here in cold snowy KY.

I know you are getting ready for your surgery, and I accidentally posted the below in another thread. I had wondered what had happened to my post! :rolleyes:

I have had a lot of issues with my sinuses for years so you have my sympathies. I made the mistake last year of getting on a plane (I didn't realize how bad they were that day) and I paid for it.

Have you ever been tested for allergies? I started allergy shots a couple years ago and they really have reduced my sinus infections...my allergies (pollen, grass) would lead to the infections. Hopefully I only have to take them for a few more months.

This day by day review is great. I'm trying to get DH to read a few reviews before we set foot on the Oasis next month. Afterall, I'm going to need him to get me around the ship since I'll be lost every other minute. :D

Ty

Edited by tyry

Loving your review.

I have a request....DH and I are hoping to go on an Alaskan cruise in 2014. Could you go on one before then and I can just copy what you did. It would really save me a lot of time researching everything.:rolleyes:

enjoying the review

Thank you! It shall continue... :)

Did you get a dining package? I'm don't understand paying for the dining package then also a fee for the food. I think the wonton soup is higher than our local Chinese restaurant, but I don't think we get Shrimp in ours. The hot rock sounds interesting! Back to the dining package, on our next cruise, we ordered the Royal Dining Package that is supposed to include Chops, Giovvani's and Izumi's. So, I'm curious about yours.

Really like your photo review! Looking forward to more. Be sure to bring the cruise compass to your next morning stretch.

Yes...but keep in mind, there are a couple of different dining packages to choose from...I got the Central Park Dining Package - which switched out Izumi for 150 Central Park, but also had Giovanni's and Chops. I thought $2 for Wonton Soup wasn't too bad...and it was a generous portion, for sure!

And thank you - I'm glad you like it. :)

We'll be on Captiva the week after the 4th. How far is Ft. Myers from Captiva? I want all the chocolate you mentioned!!

We're actually visiting because hubby likes Randy Wayne White novels that are set on Pine Island and all the surrounding areas so a few meals at Doc Fords are a must (he's the main character in all the books). We live on the east coast of FL so we're driving over, staying at Jensen's on the Beach. Should be a fun vacation even if no cruise ship is involved :)

I have every single Randy Wayne White novel there is...I have his autograph in one of my books. He often visits one of his Doc Ford restaurants to sign books, which is where I met him...I behaved like a bumbling idiot - said something really stupid, I'm sure - so he probably has a restraining order against me now or something. ;)

Thanks so much for the great review. I'm another one who never wanted to go on such a big ship, but I think I've changed my mind. Lower prices would be nice, though, since I'll be going solo too. Now I'm going to look for your Europe review.

Just wanted to say that I saw FGCU beat Georgetown on Friday. What a great game! I had never heard of them - just took my nephew because he loves basketball. The game was so much fun to watch - love those dunks:)

I hope you enjoy the Europe review - that was the best trip. EVER. ;)

OMG - you were AT the game??!! How much fun...all that slamming and jamming and dunking...those guys were having so much fun...I don't think we have a chance to beat Florida, but it's been fun while it's lasted! :)

Thanks for the Ft. Myer restaurant and chocolate information. I really appreciate it. We are still trying to decide where to stay in Ft. Myer 9on the beach).

We are staying for 3 days in Naples before we come to Ft. Myer.

Your reviews are EPIC. We really appreciate you here in cold snowy KY.

You're welcome - I'm glad my info can help! there are lots of good condos and houses for rent on the beach...you can't go wrong! I like to stay up north - by the pier - as there are lots of shops and restaurants there that I like. Naples will be fun - more high end shopping, but still fun!

Where are you Sherri? I am going into withdrawals....LOL

PLUS, if there are no Sherri updates, I have to actually "work" at work!!!

Barb

Barb, you crack me up!

I apologize...I have good days...I have not-so-good days...I've never really had chronic health issues before, so this has been frustrating, to say the least. And - my parents arrived Sunday evening....they purchased a condo two weeks ago here in Ft Myers, and so I've been getting them settled. Sigh. Parents are SO fun. #Not.

I know you are getting ready for your surgery, and I accidentally posted the below in another thread. I had wondered what had happened to my post! :rolleyes:

I have had a lot of issues with my sinuses for years so you have my sympathies. I made the mistake last year of getting on a plane (I didn't realize how bad they were that day) and I paid for it.

Have you ever been tested for allergies? I started allergy shots a couple years ago and they really have reduced my sinus infections...my allergies (pollen, grass) would lead to the infections. Hopefully I only have to take them for a few more months.

This day by day review is great. I'm trying to get DH to read a few reviews before we set foot on the Oasis next month. Afterall, I'm going to need him to get me around the ship since I'll be lost every other minute. :D

Ty

My allergy testing is scheduled for April 23...six days after my surgery. The doctor wants to see what is triggering the attacks to begin with, and I'm sure I'll be on some sort of shots or inhalers. Fun, huh?! You will NOT be lost! There is so much signage everywhere - and this is from the World's Most Directionally Challenged Person - EVER! :)

I thought Sherri was waiting until after her next cruise to have sinus surgery????

Barb

Yes. My cruise departs April 10th...surgery is the 17th...but I had a lovely CAT scan this morning...speaking of World's Most Directionally Challenged Person - I got lost. And was 15 minutes late. Gah!

Loving your review.

I have a request....DH and I are hoping to go on an Alaskan cruise in 2014. Could you go on one before then and I can just copy what you did. It would really save me a lot of time researching everything.:rolleyes:

Ha ha ha!

Actually, I have a deposit down on the June 6 Alaskan cruise on the Radiance...just come cruise with us! It will be so much FUN! ;) I haven't started planning it yet - just grabbed the cabins I wanted - but it will be fun to plan!

We’re up to Day #5…! This had us docking in St. Maarten…and here’s where I decided to change things up a bit. Originally, I had thought that I would just stay on the ship – the entire time – except for that brief “step off” in Nassau…but…by Day #5, I was going a bit…ship crazy. Yes. Even on a ship as large as the Allure – the feel of soil beneath my feet was calling me, and I decided that I absolutely MUST get off the ship in St. Maarten, or I was going to go off the deep end. Ha - no pun intended. When you start talking to the towel animals in your room, you know you need a change of scenery!

Amy & Steve were going to be renting a car and driving around the island – including a stop at the famous Maho Beach (for the airplanes). I’d just done that in July on my mother/daughter cruise, and it WAS pretty cool, but I needed something…different.

So…about two nights before we docked in St. Maarten, I perused the interactive TV in my cabin, and came across a shore excursion entitled “Made in Paradise.” For $56 (and it is now $59, I see on the RCI website - INFLATION!!), this is the description:

Start with a scenic drive in an air-conditioned tour bus through the rolling landscape uncovering the charm and highlights of the Dutch side. Continue across the border into the French side traveling to Orient Bay lookout point, hailed as the "French Riviera of the Caribbean".

You will then proceed to Ma DouDou's locally crafted rum factory situated in a tiny shack obscured by overgrown foliage. You will be fascinated with the century old tradition of how to create flavored rum using tropical fruits, spices and other exotic aromatics. Free tastings of different varieties are also part of this fun experience including one that possesses aphrodisiac properties.

Your tour continues to the island's only working perfumery, Tijon, where you will receive a guided interactive tour on the French fine art of traditional perfume making. A master perfumer will reveal the secrets of perfume creation. As he verbally tests your knowledge about perfumes, he will explain the manufacturing process utilizing French traditional methods.

You will then proceed to the highlight of the tour, a French Caribbean cooking demonstration. A reputable French chef will demonstrate, worthy of a Food Network Show, several cooking methods and recipes typical of the French Caribbean. Using local ingredients and spices of the region, a variety of dish samples will be created for you to try in a picturesque ocean setting featuring one of the most beautiful beaches of St. Martin. This is an absolutely breathtaking setting too irresistible to be missed.

After the demonstration you have the option of visiting the Creole market or remaining on the beach before returning to the ship.

This sounded like the perfect excursion for me…because, really, rum? You can never go wrong with rum…and perfume? I am a perfume fanatic…there is seriously NOT a day that I don’t have a spritz of perfume on. I really do feel naked if I’m not wearing a scent, so I thought this would be pretty interesting to visit a perfumery. A French perfumery, no less….! And then – the highlight of the tour – a cooking demonstration? Well. We all know that I am a major FOODIE, so this sounded…wonderful. Caribbean food. Bliss. Finished with some time at the beach, and this was going to be truly “made in paradise.” Count me in.

With a click of the button, I had purchased a ticket for this excursion, which was in my stateroom by the next evening. Keep this in mind if you don’t want to stand in long lines at the Shore Excursion Desk on the Royal Promenade…you can do it quickly – and effortlessly – in your own cabin, via the TV screen.

So…the morning that we docked in St. Maarten, I had a bit of time before meeting up with my tour group…so, I had some decisions to make with my free time. My first decision was that I was going to PUNISH Ms. Cameron Diaz-twin in the gym for her snarky attitude yesterday by NOT going to Stretch Class…HA! That would show HER! How dare she question our integrity the day before….? Well. As far as I was concerned, I was DONE with Stretch Class…and I couldn’t help but notice that my inner conscience celebrated just a tad bit when it realized it didn’t have to drag my butt out of bed every morning by 7:30 a.m.

I'm sure Ms. Diaz-twin noticed my absence and was upset by it greatly.

My second decision was breakfast…I could go fight the inevitable crowds in the Windjammer, or I could go visit William in the Café Promenade. For Chai and chocolate.

Needless to say, William won.

My tour group wasn’t meeting until 10:00 am, but I was too anxious to sit on the ship anymore…so I soon disembarked and sat on the pier for awhile. There are little benches that are available for seating, and I had a grand old time watching cruisers disembark, find their tour groups, and head off to explore the island. Yes, I highly recommend pier-people-creeping, as it is truly fascinating. Some people come off the ship, all excited and laughing and happy…and then…there are those OTHER families…that come off the ship, already sniping at each other….

“Did you bring the sunscreen?”

“NO! That was YOUR job!”

“No, it wasn’t. My job was to bring the tickets for the excursion. You only had ONE job – and you blew it!! Now I have to go ALL THE WAY BACK because you BLEW it!!"

I’d shake my head, wondering just how the rest of the day was going to go for THOSE people. And so glad they weren’t going to be in MY tour. Because I'm selfish like that. Hee hee.

At various times, the Shore Excursion people would hold up their paddles, announcing what tour group was now forming, and the masses of barbarians would swarm and form a line behind their leader. One such barbarian group amassed right by the bench that I was sitting at, and as I was glancing at them, one couple stood out. Initially, it was because they were so close to me – that I could have reached out and touched them. “Personal space, personal space,” I muttered, as I looked at them a bit more closely.

Wait. I KNOW these women!!!

It was the Brazilian Muster Mother/Daughter Couple! Fernanda and Amelia!

Again – what are the odds? That of all these passengers, I keep running into two – TWO – that I know? So bizarre…. I had a brief moment to say hi to them before their own Paddled Leader was leading their troops off to battle…I mean, off to explore the island. Their army had to consist of at least 75 barbarians – I mean, cruisers – and I thought, “Wow. I wonder how big my OWN barbarian army’s going to be? I HATE large crowds.”

Soon, it was close to 10:00, so I began looking for my own Paddled Leader…and to my pleasant surprise, I not only found my Leader…I found that our “army” was less than 15 people. Whew. Small group, which was fine by me.

Our tour guide, Gabriel, was quite the character. As he got us settled on the nicely air-conditioned mini-bus, he explained that we could call him “Angel” Gabriel – as he was our “guardian angel” for the day. As we drove to our first stop, Gabriel kept up a running commentary on the island – with a bit of humor thrown in for good measure.

I was looking forward to the Rum Factory…I envisioned a 10,000-square foot factory with forklifts and machinery and thousands and thousands of bottles of rum...ha. We pulled up to Ma Dou Dou’s – as evidenced by the sign out front:

RumSign_zpsa25ccd9a.jpg

I then looked for the 10,000-square foot rum factory I had dreamed about, and saw this, instead:

RumFactory_zps76f4fc6c.jpg

Oh. My. That's a FACTORY???!!

If I’d bother to read the tour description in full, it DOES say:

“You will then proceed to Ma DouDou's locally crafted rum factory situated in a tiny shack obscured by overgrown foliage.”

Yes. This is true. It's a tiny shack obscured by overgrown trees.

Ma DouDou herself – otherwise known as Anna – then comes out to the little awning, where she gathers our group up around her – in front of a display table that is covered with all sorts of colorful bottles and such:

DisplayTable_zps75d1cee5.jpg

Rum! Pretty!

She then begins explaining how the various rums are concocted – such as the banana rum, or the coconut rum…

MissAna_zps10ac64d9.jpg

Soon, it’s time to sample the various rums…she pours generous sips in little plastic cups and hands them out. This stuff was STRONG – but good. Yum. I liked it. I liked it a lot. I liked it TOO much for only 10:30 in the morning – on very little breakfast.

RumSample_zps2957f8c8.jpg

Yum. I like rum. I like rum in my tum. Dad gum, I LIKE rum.

After sampling at least three different kinds, I was feeling REALLY good…so good, that I managed to capture this AMAZING photograph…

PictureofMyShadow_zps2a0a5646.jpg

…of my own shadow. Yes. You know you’ve had TOO MUCH RUM when you take pictures of your own shadow while on a Caribbean island. Sigh. Perhaps I DO need a chaperone while cruising, after all. To save myself from embarrassing moments such as this.

Anyway, after the tasting, and after taking pictures of shadows on the ground, Ana directed us – in small groups – to the pink shack, where we could purchase some rum of our own – for $10 a bottle. Well. Wanting to help the economy as much as possible, I purchased a few bottles. Strictly an economical thing, mind you. I also got a bottle of AMAZING hot sauce for Hubby. He told me later that it is some of the best hot sauce he’s ever had – and he’s the king of hot sauces – so it really must be good. I won’t touch hot sauce if my life depended on it, although that would be ONE way to clean out my sinuses, I guess. And wouldn't cost as much as surgery.

Soon, it was time to head on the bus and leave for our next stop, the perfumery.

Goodbye, rum. Goodbye, rum in my tum. It was yum!

My view: this stop was exactly as promised, if I’d bothered to read the fine print on the excursion…and actually, I found it charming. It reminded me a LOT of when our family stopped at the roadside stand in Santorini, Greece, this summer…at Anna’s, coincidentally. Some times, the best food and drink samples come from the little hole-in-the-wall places, and NOT the 10,000-square foot factories. Just my opinion, mind you!

Oh, my, a chance to share some info with the Drama Queen. Yeah! We were on the Radiance in Alaska in 2011. I'll be happy to share my shore excursion information if you like. We were on the pre-cruise land tour that did NOT go to Denali. We loved every minute! The cruise is amazing as well. It is a totally different vibe on the ship during this cruise.

You'll have a blast no matter what you do! It is beautiful!

And - my parents arrived Sunday evening....they purchased a condo two weeks ago here in Ft Myers, and so I've been getting them settled. Sigh. Parents are SO fun. #Not.

Well, at least your parents purchasing their own Ft. Myers condo bodes well for the furniture arrangements in YOUR house. ;)