Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Wow -- I'm an addikt now! need more Sherry reviews !!! Hope you're recovering .... and start new reviews!!!!!!!!!!!

I lurked on your Serenade review which blew me away ---- and off course had to instantly switch to the Allure review. Just finished it .... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORT!

We're going on a similar med cruise on the Serenade with our "new" foster kid in July. First time to travel with a kid .... I mean Klingon ... he's 13. where there lot's of foreign teens when you went? His english is rudimentary--- and that's upgrading his actual skills --- sigh....

Stef

Kanscocoa - Going on West.Med Cruise the end of month and a fellow roll caller advised of your review. What fun it was to read in anticipation of our trip. Enjoyed it so much, that spent way too much time scrolling and laughing through your other reviews. Coincidentally, have also been on the Allure and Freedom and your comments are all spot-on! Love, love, loved Freedoms' director, Graham. Should have seen this middle-aged lady doing the Mick Jagger chicken walk during the British invasion on the Promenade. We were lucky to make a great choice of a balcony room overlooking Central Park on the Allure. It was lovely. The ship is big, but somehow, it works.

Also went on Rhapsody to Alaska last year. You'll have a great time! Highly recommend the helicopter to Mendenhall. Will continue to look for your blogs.

Take care!

I'm so glad you found this review before you left on your own adventure! Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) I would have LOVED to have seen you doing the chicken walk! (See - I was so sore from Boot Camp that I couldn't have danced if my life depended on it! Hee hee!)

Thanks for the recommendation for Alaska - I have GOT to get planning on that!

Have a wonderful time in the Mediterranean - eat some gelato for me! ;)

Loving this thread ... yay

Yay - I'm so glad!

Sherri,

Self-publishing e-books is actually fairly simple.

Good luck,

Myron

Wow - thanks for the tips! One of these days - when I'm "caught up" with life (does that ever happen??!!), I will have to look into this. :)

Wow -- I'm an addict now! need more Sherry reviews !!! Hope you're recovering .... and start new reviews!!!!!!!!!!!

I lurked on your Serenade review which blew me away ---- and off course had to instantly switch to the Allure review. Just finished it .... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORT!

We're going on a similar med cruise on the Serenade with our "new" foster kid in July. First time to travel with a kid .... I mean Klingon ... he's 13. where there lot's of foreign teens when you went? His english is rudimentary--- and that's upgrading his actual skills --- sigh....

Stef

Thank you, Stef! Oh, you're going to have an amazing time - and so will your Klingon! It's hard to say if there were lots of foreign teens onboard - since my own Klingon didn't intermingle with anyone or anything other than the arcade games - gah! I'm sure - if he decides to hang out in the Teen Club - that he will hopefully find SOMEONE he can hang with. Does he speak Spanish? I would think, since the ship ports out of Barcelona, that there would definitely be Spanish-speaking kids onboard. Good luck - and I hope you come back and tell us all about it! (And again - eat some gelato for me! Find that Perfect 10!!!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an amazing review. I stumbled across your review yesterday and was immediately engrossed. You are a very talented writer. My wife and I have been reluctant to sail on such a monstrous ship, but because of your EPIC review we just booked a cruise on the Allure.

Thank you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an amazing review. I stumbled across your review yesterday and was immediately engrossed. You are a very talented writer. My wife and I have been reluctant to sail on such a monstrous ship, but because of your EPIC review we just booked a cruise on the Allure.

Thank you.

LOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE this!

I am so glad you booked it! I know you're going to have a great time - and be sure to come back and post a review, so I can make sure I didn't lead you astray!

(And thank you!!!)

Came across your review whilst researching Allure - LOVED your review! Great photos, great info, & thoroughly entertaining! I couldn't tell you how many times I lol while reading it - my husband thought I was watching a cat video on You Tube (or losing my mind). Thanks So much for taking the time to post this. Your review was far more informative & interesting than most of the reviews I read in travel magazines (and I read a lot of them). You belong on the Travel Channel!;) Take Care & Can't to read about your upcoming adventures!

Sherri, firstly another thanks for your review which I read thoroughly before we embarked on our own Allure adventure. Well your insights were invaluable and helped enormously. We're currently on our last sea day heading back to Fort Lauderdale on this great ship.

The 'Made in Paradise' excursion was interesting just as you described.

My partner is writing a blog which I'm going to reference in my review, but it won't be for a while as we have 6 days in Kissimmee post cruise to enjoy.

I have some photos to which there is a link in my signature.

Haven't experienced all this ship has to offer. 7 days isn't enough although I have done the zip line twice.

Came across your review whilst researching Allure - LOVED your review! Great photos, great info, & thoroughly entertaining! I couldn't tell you how many times I lol while reading it - my husband thought I was watching a cat video on You Tube (or losing my mind). Thanks So much for taking the time to post this. Your review was far more informative & interesting than most of the reviews I read in travel magazines (and I read a lot of them). You belong on the Travel Channel!;) Take Care & Can't to read about your upcoming adventures!

Okay, you made ME laugh out loud - imagining that your hubby thinks you're watching cat videos...hee hee! (I watch them all the time!) I'm glad you enjoyed it - and if only I could convince my own dear Hubby that I should do this professionally! ;)

Sherri, firstly another thanks for your review which I read thoroughly before we embarked on our own Allure adventure. Well your insights were invaluable and helped enormously. We're currently on our last sea day heading back to Fort Lauderdale on this great ship.

The 'Made in Paradise' excursion was interesting just as you described.

My partner is writing a blog which I'm going to reference in my review, but it won't be for a while as we have 6 days in Kissimmee post cruise to enjoy.

I have some photos to which there is a link in my signature.

Haven't experienced all this ship has to offer. 7 days isn't enough although I have done the zip line twice.

Can't wait to read the blog and the review! And you are SO right - I couldn't experience it all, and I even skipped a port day or two in the attempt to try it! It's just too big!

Thank you for sharing your pics already. I have a friend on the very ship with you. She was married on it before embarkation. Did you spend some time at a resort instead of going on an excursion? I have enjoyed the adventures of the Drama Queen an will board my Allure adventure in a few weeks when I get married on the Allure. Counting down the days!!

Thank you for sharing your pics already. I have a friend on the very ship with you. She was married on it before embarkation. Did you spend some time at a resort instead of going on an excursion? I have enjoyed the adventures of the Drama Queen an will board my Allure adventure in a few weeks when I get married on the Allure. Counting down the days!!

How wonderful to be married on the Allure. Best wishes to you. :):)

We didn't spend any time at a resort, sorry. Best wishes for your upcoming nuptials.

Thank you, Stef! Oh, you're going to have an amazing time - and so will your Klingon! It's hard to say if there were lots of foreign teens onboard - since my own Klingon didn't intermingle with anyone or anything other than the arcade games - gah! I'm sure - if he decides to hang out in the Teen Club - that he will hopefully find SOMEONE he can hang with. Does he speak Spanish? I would think, since the ship ports out of Barcelona, that there would definitely be Spanish-speaking kids onboard. Good luck - and I hope you come back and tell us all about it! (And again - eat some gelato for me! Find that Perfect 10!!!)

Hi Sherry,

nope, he only speaks German. That's not going to help him a whee bit I guess. But we've got some other 13 year old Klingons on the roll call from the UK and the US, so I'll just make him join us for the inofficial and official meet and mingle party and force him to try some english-- so there, what a mean fostermom I can be:D.

I'll try to write a review...but by no means will it be as epic as yours. But of course I would feel honoured if you read it anyway and maybe enjoy it a bit. That way I could pay back some of that fun time I enjoyed reading Your reviews:).

Stef

I was wondering the same thing about the Celebrity cruise...will keep checking! Also, inviting you (as a way to thank you for the great readings) to take a look at my "live" review still going on. Not even close to your epic ones but should be fun and great pictures (no pigeons, though :( :D ) .

See ya!

Hey Sherri thank you sooooo much for the best review of all time. Here's from all of us to you. Also for the great work you do for the red cross you are truly wonderful person.

standing-ovation-0907-lg1.jpg

Edited by oceanblue33

• 2 weeks later...

Sherri,

I was wondering if you have a spreadsheet of some sort for your Allure planning.

I know you carry/use a binder (I read your Med. review -amazing btw), and was wondering what you use to organize your events and such. I'm trying to find/gain ideas to help create my own for upcoming Key West/Allure trip.

Thanks!

This review is fantastic. We were on Oasis last year and for the most part thought we'd figured it all out ... but ... I've got a dozen things jotted down now that I didn't notice on that ship that we need to keep in mind for our Allure trip this fall. Thank you thank you thank you!

28 pages and we're still not even finished the ship tour... I really think that you and Gambee should go on a cruise in say.... November/December this year and between the 2 of you the rest of CC could have our whole winter's entertainment with:

"Gambee and Middle Aged Drama Queen's most EPIC Review and Complete Pictorial Guide of ______________________"

:D

I know I'm late to the party, but I must agree!!! Fabulous idea!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Café Promenade

CPFood_zpsab804ade.jpg

The offerings would change as the day went on…and the nice thing, the Café Promenade is open really, really late….

Okay, I'm late to the party here on this review...but am enjoying it immensely as I get ready for my Allure cruise in 20 days!

You see that cranberry-ish, raisin-ish bread in the center of the lower row? It's got a little bit of glaze and some slivered almonds on top. I don't know what it's called, but by a landslide, it's my favorite thing to eat on a Royal Caribbean ship. I always have it for breakfast. I had no idea it was in the Cafe Promenade as well...I don't recall ever seeing it there. This could be a serious problem for me....

• 2 months later...

Sherri, girl I loved this review. I stumbled on to it while reading your Med review. So I stopped reading it and started reading this one. Why? Because I'll be on the Allure in 2 weeks. YES!!!

Thanks for a wonderful insightful review. Loved the details.

StThomas1_zps09ad7ca3.jpg

We’re now up to Wednesday, Day #4 of our cruise…and we’re docking in St. Thomas, in the United States Virgin Islands. America's Paradise, as it's known. I had a wake-up call for 7:00 am, as I wanted to continue with the 7:30 Stretch classes I’d been enjoying the last few days...except for when I grab the wrong color mat and cause Arnold Schwarzenegger's twin to have a meltdown...

But today would be DIFFERENT! I would know better! Nothing would get me down today!

Ha.

Little did I know.

I arrived at the gym at 7:20 am, which gave me a few extra minutes to hang out…and I began watching the Body Conditioning class, which had started at 7:00 am, per the Cruise Compass. (Which will be posted later...so you will have PROOF) It was being taught by the Cameron Diaz-twin who had been our instructor the FIRST day of Stretch Class. I wasn’t really sure what “Body Conditioning” class entailed, so I was curious…and as I observed it, I began thinking, “Hmmm…it’s not all that different than Stretch Class.” Meanwhile, while I was waiting, about a dozen or so other people arrived, all obviously waiting for the Stretch class to begin.

At 7:30, the students in the previous class began gathering up their mats…and I walked over to grab a BLACK one so I’d be all set for Stretch. Yay, me. One of the ladies recognized me from the last few mornings, and she says, “Oh, THERE you are! Did you realize that this was Stretch class? That we just finished?”

Um, no.

No wonder it looked an awful lot like Stretch Class. It WAS Stretch Class.

I said, “Well, that’s weird. It said in the Compass that Stretch wasn’t until 7:30…just like it has been all week.”

The lady said, “I noticed that, too – and tried to point that out to Ms. Cameron Diaz-twin here – but she didn’t believe me. She insisted that Stretch was to begin at 7:00 am. Period.”

Well. Ms. Diaz-twin was wrong, according to the Compass. Several of us who’d been waiting for the 7:30 Stretch class walked over to the instructor, who was gathering her own stuff and walking off.

“Excuse me,” I began…somehow having been elected the leader of the Stretch Class Rejectees Who Thought Class was at 7:30….”It said in the Cruise Compass that Stretch Class is at 7:30 today.”

730Class_zps29ed862f.jpg

IT’S TIME FOR STRETCH CLASS, DARN IT!!!

She looks at me, narrows her eyes, and says, “Do you have a copy of the Compass?”

Well. She had me there. And she knew it. I mean, really??? Who brings a copy of the Cruise Compass with them to a 7:30 am Stretch Class???

When I couldn’t produce the physical proof of the error, Ms. Diaz-twin shrugged and walked off, saying, “Well, I have a Spin class at 7:45.”

Wait, what?

:eek:

No apology. No explanation. No remorse. I had just been DISMISSED.

I couldn’t believe it!!! I am not quick to anger…and I’m pretty easy-going…but this…THIS…was just downright insolent and rude. The dozen or so of us standing there all looked at each other in shock at the attitude we’d just witnessed. Wow.

:mad:

Did I do anything about it? Nope. I wished I’d gone and filed a complaint right then and there…but I didn’t. I should have at LEAST gotten a free cruise out of the deal - or an upgrade to a Suite...right?! So, as far as I know, Ms. Cameron Diaz-twin is still being rude to guests who dare…DARE…to point out that she might have been mistaken about the time of Stretch class. And I’m sorry about that.

Needing to blow off some steam, I hit the walking/jogging track…and walked no less than SIX laps. I must have really been mad. Six laps on a broken foot! When I was finished, and since I just “happened” to be already on Deck 5 – the Promenade – I decided that only an iced Chai tea and a white chocolate donut would make things better. It’s amazing what delicious flavors can do for your soul…not to mention a smile from William, my favorite Chai tea maker.

William had seen me coming and had it READY for me when I reached the counter, and greeted me with a cheery, "Good morning, Miss Sherri! Here's your Chai! And your chocolate!"

Now THAT, Ms. Diaz-twin, is how it’s DONE. ;)

Moral of the story:Take Crusie Compass to stretch class. Taking notes. Thanks Sherri