Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Sherri, girl I loved this review. I stumbled on to it while reading your Med review. So I stopped reading it and started reading this one. Why? Because I'll be on the Allure in 2 weeks. YES!!!

Thanks for a wonderful insightful review. Loved the details.

Aw, thank you - and you're welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying it - and I KNOW you're going to have a blast on the Allure! I don't have any cruises scheduled yet at this point in the future - too busy - but one of these days, I'll be back!!!!

Another great review! Thank you for sharing. We were on the Allure during her inaugural year and it was so wonderful to relive our trip through you. It was our first cruise on RCI, although we had been on Disney cruises before. I'm not sure if we spoiled our kids by going Allure...what ship can you possibly go on after that??!!!! We should have worked our way up to it from the smaller RCI ships. We absolutely loved it and would definitely go on Allure again!

we left off our ship tour yesterday in central park...truly one of the most beautiful places on the ship...and one of my favorite spots....

We’ve now reached 150 central park…the ship’s premier restaurant, and certainly one of my favorites.

150centralpark_zpsed71faaa.jpg

the restaurant serves a six-course tasting menu from it’s own kitchen – the only kitchen onboard that is not connected to the main galley. One menu is served the first four nights of the cruise, and a second menu will then be served the last three nights of the cruise – so foodies can dine here twice and not have the same thing. (and yes. I dined here twice, just so i could sample both menus. Reviews & photos to follow later. You're welcome. Geesh...the sacrifices one must make to write an epic review...dining & indulging in all of these culinary delights...!)

allure150centralpark1_zps17e96d32.jpg

the inside...

i loved the décor inside – from the beautiful flowers in the main entry:

dsc00041_zps9af536a5.jpg

...can i take these home with me? Not that they'd match anything i have in my house, but they're just so darn pretty....!

…to the armchairs that looked whimsical, fun – and yet, once seated inside, very cozy and comforting. Yes. I have chair envy. I would love to have these chairs in my own house...of course, if the chef at 150 park central came with the chairs, it would be heaven. Of course, this means i've pretty much wiped out the restaurant - by removing the flowers, the chairs and the chef. <shrugs>

allure150centralpark_zps53b94c17.jpg

don't you just love those chairs? Even if you don't dine here, stop by on the first day onboard and take a peek at those chairs...they're awesome!

there are 76 seats in this small restaurant, and reservations are a must. However, i had no problem not booking in advance of the cruise; i was able to make my reservations while onboard. I went there right after i boarded the ship (while en route to get the roast beef sandwich across the way....)

dinner takes approximately two hours, so keep this in mind if you’re trying to attend a show. My reservations were at 6:00 pm, which usually gave me plenty of time to make an 8:30 show, when needed.

When paired with wine, the cover charge for 150 central park is $75, and without wine, it’s $40. However, i purchased the central park dining package when i first boarded the ship, which cost $70 – this included my cover charges for not only 150 central park, but giovanni’s table and chops grille, as well.

i guess this is as good as time as any to mention that i had a mission when i booked this cruise:

my mission: Eat at every single restaurant (except for the mdr) onboard.

did i accomplish my mission?

You'll have to keep reading to find out. ;)

how was it eating by yourself? Which type of table were you seated at? Was it awkward to sit and eat by yourself?

Edited by Robinola
MADE A MISTAKE, DIDN'T REALIZE SHE WASN'T SOLO

how was it eating by yourself? Which type of table were you seated at? Was it awkward to sit and eat by yourself?

Eating by myself was totally fine - most of the time, I ended up striking up a conversation with couples around me, who were more than happy to chit-chat about cruising or life in general! The restaurant staff never made me feel awkward about being a solo diner - I think they're used to it, as there are more and more "solos" onboard. I would always be seated at a table for two, and I would choose the seat that had me facing out to the restaurant, so I could observe the goings on. I took my notebook with me to make notes while I dined, and that made it look like I was perhaps a famous food & wine critic. ;)

Sherri, girl I loved this review. I stumbled on to it while reading your Med review. So I stopped reading it and started reading this one. Why? Because I'll be on the Allure in 2 weeks. YES!!!

Thanks for a wonderful insightful review. Loved the details.

Hi Cynthia! I know what you mean, the Allure thread is the only one of her reviews that I have read all the way through. I keep changing plans and starting other threads. I'll never know if Brainy Brad(?) ever satisfied his pigeon quest, if Micki enjoyed the Freedom surprise, etc. Because, as you know, I had to start reading this Allure thread!

Sherri, have you ever thought about posting all your reviews in a website like cruisewithgambee. It is so much easier to read the reviews without all the questions and comments. I know you have a blog, but, the reviews aren't there, are they? Thank you for all the work you do, both here on CC and at the Red Cross. I'm going to try and do my own review of the Allure, but, I know it won't come close to yours! :D

I must say that you inspired me! I love travelling with my friends and I have such fun when I am with them. However, I had always wanted to take a cruise alone. I read your review and it really made me feel comfortable to go ahead and book a cruise solo! I found a great price on a balcony cabin (with a discounted singles' supplement) on the Oasis. I so enjoyed my trip!

Like you, I purchased a dining package and never ate dinner in the MDR. I was comfortable with my Kindle at my table for one each night while I dined on delicious food. I do agree that other people can more uncomfortable about you traveling solo than you actually are yourself.

I found it quite liberating and confidence-boosting!

Thank you for your review/contribution to the CC boards. You are a great writer and you offer great perspectives!

Sherri, thank you for your great review.

I have read all of them. You made me laugh so hard with the Choco berry perfume that tears were coming down my face and my stomach hurt. My hubby came running down wanting to know what was wrong as I was sick that day, but you made me feel better.

I am dying to go on a big ship, I'm trying to wait until my next cruise so I can get some benefits. I am also planning to go on a med cruise in the future and your review has been a great help.

I am trying to figure out how to save it so I can find it when the time comes.

How did I miss this one? I love your reviews!

(Oh yeah... I had no cruises booked for over a year and was too depressed to read cruise critic. I must learn from others I see on these boards who'll may have a cruise booked tattoo years out and are still active online...)

Now I have my first oasis cruise coming up, and two explorer cruises on deck-whoo-hoo!

So happy to be reading all about allure, I'm sure it will help me to orient myself in the oasis...

(And Hey Sherri did you run that half-marathon yet?!?)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Hi all!

KansCocoa ~ I've enjoyed your reviews & wonder if you did one on your Master Chef cruise & I missed it?

I'll have to read this review again as I'm going solo on the Allure in November & can hardly wait!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi, Jo! No - sadly, I have yet to write my Top Chef review. Life keeps getting in the way....I took a new position/role within the Red Cross, and it has kept me INSANELY busy as I attempt to not only learn my new job, but get it organized the way I like it. This - on top of all of my other daily activities - has left me scrambling for free time for writing. One of these days, is what I keep hoping!

A solo trip on the Allure - how fun! Have a wonderful time!

Hi Cynthia! I know what you mean, the Allure thread is the only one of her reviews that I have read all the way through. I keep changing plans and starting other threads. I'll never know if Brainy Brad(?) ever satisfied his pigeon quest, if Micki enjoyed the Freedom surprise, etc. Because, as you know, I had to start reading this Allure thread!

Sherri, have you ever thought about posting all your reviews in a website like cruisewithgambee. It is so much easier to read the reviews without all the questions and comments. I know you have a blog, but, the reviews aren't there, are they? Thank you for all the work you do, both here on CC and at the Red Cross. I'm going to try and do my own review of the Allure, but, I know it won't come close to yours! :D

Gambee's website is amazing! I didn't even know that existed! Again - 'one of these days' - when I have free time - I'll try to set something up. Yes, the Red Cross has been crazy busy lately - especially with things in Colorado. I am not in Colorado - yet - but I've had to do a lot of stuff here at home because of the events there. I'm now in Public Affairs/Communication (mainly because of my big mouth, I think - I DO like to talk!), and we're scrambling with media requests and such because of the events in Colorado.

Can't wait to read your review of the Allure - she's amazing!

I must say that you inspired me! I love travelling with my friends and I have such fun when I am with them. However, I had always wanted to take a cruise alone. I read your review and it really made me feel comfortable to go ahead and book a cruise solo! I found a great price on a balcony cabin (with a discounted singles' supplement) on the Oasis. I so enjoyed my trip!

Like you, I purchased a dining package and never ate dinner in the MDR. I was comfortable with my Kindle at my table for one each night while I dined on delicious food. I do agree that other people can more uncomfortable about you traveling solo than you actually are yourself.

I found it quite liberating and confidence-boosting!

Thank you for your review/contribution to the CC boards. You are a great writer and you offer great perspectives!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!

No, really - I'm not just saying that! I am so glad you did this - and that it was a good experience! And I'm thrilled - and honored - that I played a part in getting you to do it! It is indeed liberating and confidence-boosting! It's amazing what we can do when we push ourselves!

You've totally made my day with this post - thank you!

Sherri, thank you for your great review.

I have read all of them. You made me laugh so hard with the Choco berry perfume that tears were coming down my face and my stomach hurt. My hubby came running down wanting to know what was wrong as I was sick that day, but you made me feel better.

I am dying to go on a big ship, I'm trying to wait until my next cruise so I can get some benefits. I am also planning to go on a med cruise in the future and your review has been a great help.

I am trying to figure out how to save it so I can find it when the time comes.

Aw, yes - my totally creative & inspirational-named perfume...which I am still using, by the way! ;)

I'm glad my reviews have not only provided entertainment, but medicine, as well...they do say laughter is the best medicine, after all!

How did I miss this one? I love your reviews!

(Oh yeah... I had no cruises booked for over a year and was too depressed to read cruise critic. I must learn from others I see on these boards who'll may have a cruise booked tattoo years out and are still active online...)

Now I have my first oasis cruise coming up, and two explorer cruises on deck-whoo-hoo!

So happy to be reading all about allure, I'm sure it will help me to orient myself in the oasis...

(And Hey Sherri did you run that half-marathon yet?!?)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Yeah - how did you miss this? I thought we were BFF's and all, and we didn't miss anything about each other??!! ;)

I'm jealous. I have NO upcoming cruises planned. (Not that it doesn't mean I don't have other adventures - but none that involve a ship, sadly.)

As far as my half-marathon...I was scheduled to run the Disney Food & Wine Half-Marathon in November with a girlfriend...but my darn surgery got in the way and set me way, way back in my training. So - she'll run the half, while I run the easier 5K! I have a 5K this Sunday, actually, as well - trying to do one a month so my training stays focused.

I WILL RUN THAT HALF-MARATHON BEFORE I DIE! (I hope.)

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I've been cruising for years on RCI with my DD and at times my sister. I will be taking my first solo cruise next May on the Oasis of the Seas with some dear friends from Florida. Alas neither my DD or sister could make the cruise this time. I'm both excited and nervous at the same time to be doing this. I sort of wish it was next week, then I wouldn't have so long to think about it and worry. Something positive about spur of the moment cruises, eh? Anyway, I do feel better knowing that I will (like you) be heading into this cruise with a huge group of friends that will take care of me if I need it. Hoping I won't :rolleyes: but nice to know they will be there. Excited to have a cabin all to myself too; the huge queen-sized bed and entire cabin space. Woo hoo! Did you like that part of having the cabin all to yourself? I have a ocean balcony cabin on deck 10. What type of cabin did you have on the Allure by yourself? This is my second cruise on Oasis. Knowing where everything is a positive thing. Thanks again!

Great review and pics!! Thanks for all the detailed information you gave on the ship. I love your writing style!! I'm going to read your other reviews. I've always wanted to sail on the Oasis of the sea, but after reading your review on the Allure. I'm going to book on the Allure as a birthday/graduation present to myself next year.

Edited by Chelleum

HI all!

Sherri ~ thanks for your response. I have been following your blog & know you are a very busy gal! I loved your trip to New York, you covered so much ground! I've been there a total of 11 days & never saw as much as you did!

Take care in CO & know that when you do write the Top Chef review it will be read with views of seeing the hot one as well as hearing how you enjoyed it.

~ Jo ~ :)

• 3 months later...

Hello, Sherri, I have read all your reviews and absolutely love your writing style and your pictures. You really bring the trip alive and by the end, I feel as though I had been there with you. I know you said you didn't have another cruise planned, but I was wondering if you had changed your mind. I'm going through withdrawal now that I have finished all your reviews! Of the ships you've been on, which has been your favorite? My DH and I are going on the FOS in early March, so I particularly enjoyed your review of the Freedom. Thanks so much for taking all the time it requires to write such thorough reviews!

Hello, Sherri, I have read all your reviews and absolutely love your writing style and your pictures. You really bring the trip alive and by the end, I feel as though I had been there with you. I know you said you didn't have another cruise planned, but I was wondering if you had changed your mind. I'm going through withdrawal now that I have finished all your reviews! Of the ships you've been on, which has been your favorite? My DH and I are going on the FOS in early March, so I particularly enjoyed your review of the Freedom. Thanks so much for taking all the time it requires to write such thorough reviews!

Thank you so much!!!

I WISH I had another cruise planned…but alas, no. I am a horrible person anyway, and should be flogged, because I never ever DID write my Top Chef cruise review. Bad girl.

I AM heading to Hawaii next week for a 3-week adventure, and will be writing about it on my blog. I hope that you hop over to it (link is below) and follow me along on my day-to-day adventures.

I think my favorite ship has been the Serenade. I love the Radiance class ships, and there's a beauty and intimacy with the Serenade that soothes my soul. It didn't hurt that I was in the Royal Suite, but hey, I would still love her anyway! The Freedom of Seas is amazing - you'll have an awesome time, for sure! (Just stay away from Boot Camp…gah.)

• 1 month later...

Great review. I have taken the last three days to read it. I have taken notes of the must-haves and must-do's. We leave a week from today. My DH and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on this trip. I suspect we will never want to sail on a small ship again. Thanks for taking the time. I know it was a commitment. Your time is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums