Reflection and the Alcoves

BigDaddy2002

Glad there is choices for everyone! If I want privacy I guess I will have to stay in my cabin as that is the only place where it is private:confused: I also will feel a lot "closer" to the ocean in the Cabana than sitting around the pool. The "pay for" Cabana's and Retreat areas concept is very popular on Princess and HAL with very little vacancy. As stated above, if no one sees the value in them and they are not rented, they will soon be gone. I like the idea but will have to experience it in June to see if I am going to enjoy it as much as I think I am and if it is worth the cost.

I think the term "ugly" is somewhat relative. I can understand why these cabanas make the majority of people feel restricted from the area and therefore cause people loath them and make disparaging comments.:rolleyes:

The best way to avoid that feeling for me is to join the "cabana club";) and pay to enjoy the added real estate. ;) they seem a bit pricey but it's a vacation. I say live a little :)

Celebrity marketing certainly must think that they are attractive because they use images of them in the majority of their advertisements:)

Edited by Doupa22

I think the term "ugly" is somewhat relative. I can understand why these cabanas make the majority of people feel restricted from the area and therefore cause people loath them and make disparaging comments.:rolleyes:

The best way to avoid that feeling for me is join the "cabana club";) and pay to get enjoy the added real estate. ;) they seem a bit pricey but it's a vacation. I say live a little :)

Celebrity marketing certainly must think that they are attractive because they use images of them in the majority of their advertisements:)

I think it would be different if they had them starting from the Solstice on through all the other S-Class ships people would feel differently as they "wouldn't know any better". But once you've been on the Solstice, Eclipse, and Equinox and see in fact how beautiful that space can be without them, it kind of ruins it for a lot of people. That's just my feeling on the subject.

How much did they discount them for an all week purchase?

This week, we called Celebrity to purchase an alcove for the three sea days of our November 2013 cruise. We were told a multi-day discount will be applied as an onboard credit in the amount of 10% of the purchase price, but that this will not show until we are onboard.

The pictures we have seen look great and we are looking forward to enjoying this space as an added location to relax. :cool:

This week, we called Celebrity to purchase an alcove for the three sea days of our November 2013 cruise. We were told a multi-day discount will be applied as an onboard credit in the amount of 10% of the purchase price, but that this will not show until we are onboard.

The pictures we have seen look great and we are looking forward to enjoying this space as an added location to relax. :cool:

I booked 2 sea days and it was full price.(I never asked however) 3 must be the beginning number of days to get the discount :confused: Thank you:)

Edited by Doupa22

Nice that you felt the Alcoves were worth it for you, but I will stand by my original reaction....they are ugly and block both the view and access to the Lawn.

I disagree that the ropes don't restrict access....how many people feel welcome to jump over the ropes and use the lawn area that has been blocked off. If Celebrity can't find a way to keep the lawn maintained without roping it off so much, what's the point of it?? Oh yes, I forgot it was for those who paid for the Alcoves to enjoy only.

Celebrity had no problem allowing a private party to use the lawn for a wedding party on our cruise. :(

I am half of one of the 4 couples in Big Daddy's group, so would like to clarify. While it would be nice if the ongoing lawn maintenance did not require areas to be roped off, there were ALWAYS ways to access the lawn without jumping over the rope, either at the "corners" of the lawn area, or between the individual alcoves..... at least several were always rope-free. Plenty of people managed to realize this, as there always seemed to be someone strolling across the lawn, checking it out.

As for the view of the sea, I suppose if you intended to spend your entire day sitting in the middle of the lawn, staring at the ocean, then yes, you could say your view of the sea is now a bit more limited due to the alcoves/cabanas situated around the perimeter. But I was on the Solstice a couple of years ago, and even without the alcoves there, the lawn did not seem like a place where crowds of people hung out all day taking in the view of the ocean. A few spread towels on the grass to lie in the sun, and here and there we saw a game of bocce ball taking place. Well guess what? There are still areas for these things on the lawn on Reflection, too. Plenty of grassy area on the main lawn, plus two other alcove-free lawn areas further back (on either side of the ship as you walk toward the Sunset Bar.) No problem with the ocean views on the smaller lawn areas, or the walkway around the outside of the alcoves, or on the loungers around the Sunset Bar, or up on deck 16, or on your own personal stateroom balcony......

So sorry, I really don't understand the "they're ugly and block the view" complaint. To each his own, I suppose.

As for other questions I read earlier in the thread....

-barring unusually high winds you can opt to have the cabana top open or closed to allow either sun or shade.

-you can come and go throughout the day. You do not lose your alcove if you leave for a while.

-In addition to an ipad/ipod dock/speakers, there is a power outlet in each one so you can use your own speakers if you prefer, or charge another device. Each alcove has 2 chairs with ottomans, an 1 chaise lounge/daybed type thing, plus a coffee table. 3-4 people can lounge or recline comfortably with feet up, or you can use the ottomans for additional seating to accommodate more. They say they hold 4 people, but as Big Daddy mentioned, we never had an issued with 5-8. Then again, we had rented 2 for our group of 8, so perhaps it was because they knew they were not losing additional revenue by allowing 5+ in one alcove at times.

-we never ordered the picnic basket so I can't comment on that, but it was not an issue to bring back burgers from the Mast Grill or sandwiches from the buffet to enjoy in the cabana. The one day when the Lawn Club Grill was open for lunch, we were disappointed to find they wouldn't allow us to order the delicious flatbread (pizzas) to eat in the alcoves, but they did say we could place our order and stay in the alcoves until it was ready, at which point we went "inside" and sat down to eat. A shout out here to Jordan, Jason and Regulas from the LCG/Alcoves..... after 5 days in the alcoves, and 1 lunch and 2 dinners at the LCG, these guys are fantastic and very accommodating, and provided some of the best overall service anywhere on the ship!

I am half of one of the 4 couples in Big Daddy's group, so would like to clarify. While it would be nice if the ongoing lawn maintenance did not require areas to be roped off, there were ALWAYS ways to access the lawn without jumping over the rope, either at the "corners" of the lawn area, or between the individual alcoves..... at least several were always rope-free. Plenty of people managed to realize this, as there always seemed to be someone strolling across the lawn, checking it out.

As for the view of the sea, I suppose if you intended to spend your entire day sitting in the middle of the lawn, staring at the ocean, then yes, you could say your view of the sea is now a bit more limited due to the alcoves/cabanas situated around the perimeter. But I was on the Solstice a couple of years ago, and even without the alcoves there, the lawn did not seem like a place where crowds of people hung out all day taking in the view of the ocean. A few spread towels on the grass to lie in the sun, and here and there we saw a game of bocce ball taking place. Well guess what? There are still areas for these things on the lawn on Reflection, too. Plenty of grassy area on the main lawn, plus two other alcove-free lawn areas further back (on either side of the ship as you walk toward the Sunset Bar.) No problem with the ocean views on the smaller lawn areas, or the walkway around the outside of the alcoves, or on the loungers around the Sunset Bar, or up on deck 16, or on your own personal stateroom balcony......

So sorry, I really don't understand the "they're ugly and block the view" complaint. To each his own, I suppose.

As for other questions I read earlier in the thread....

-barring unusually high winds you can opt to have the cabana top open or closed to allow either sun or shade.

-you can come and go throughout the day. You do not lose your alcove if you leave for a while.

-In addition to an ipad/ipod dock/speakers, there is a power outlet in each one so you can use your own speakers if you prefer, or charge another device. Each alcove has 2 chairs with ottomans, an 1 chaise lounge/daybed type thing, plus a coffee table. 3-4 people can lounge or recline comfortably with feet up, or you can use the ottomans for additional seating to accommodate more. They say they hold 4 people, but as Big Daddy mentioned, we never had an issued with 5-8. Then again, we had rented 2 for our group of 8, so perhaps it was because they knew they were not losing additional revenue by allowing 5+ in one alcove at times.

-we never ordered the picnic basket so I can't comment on that, but it was not an issue to bring back burgers from the Mast Grill or sandwiches from the buffet to enjoy in the cabana. The one day when the Lawn Club Grill was open for lunch, we were disappointed to find they wouldn't allow us to order the delicious flatbread (pizzas) to eat in the alcoves, but they did say we could place our order and stay in the alcoves until it was ready, at which point we went "inside" and sat down to eat. A shout out here to Jordan, Jason and Regulas from the LCG/Alcoves..... after 5 days in the alcoves, and 1 lunch and 2 dinners at the LCG, these guys are fantastic and very accommodating, and provided some of the best overall service anywhere on the ship!

Word :)

I have to once again disagree with the statements expressed above (by Alcove proponents) that they do not a) restrict the sea view or b) restrict access to the Lawn.

Does this look inviting to anyone (other than Alcove users perhaps):

44045b0bd0f87b3c07a60ce3389429c1.jpg

50a0eaebbd4960bad429d4b7ea95ddb1.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

I have to once again disagree with the statements expressed above (by Alcove proponents) that they do not a) restrict the sea view or b) restrict access to the Lawn.

Does this look inviting to anyone (other than Alcove users perhaps):

You're missing the point about the access. Did you bother to walk around the perimeter of the lawn AT ALL? I guess not, because you would have seen that while SOME pathways were roped off, others were not. Likewise, did you bother to check the bocce lawn areas? They had wide open access during our cruise and were often un-used. Finally, if the alcoves were not there, how do you envision that you would use the lawn? I'm serious, I would really like to know. Do you envision standing in the middle of it for an hour, watching the ocean? Sunbathing on a towel? Strolling through? Relaxing in one of the hammocks that are open to all? Because for the life of me I cannot figure out what your beef is with the views. I can see the ocean in the pictures you posted. Granted, it's not a wide open view, but it's there, so I can't imagine how it would be a negative unless you were, indeed, planning to just stand fixed in one spot on the lawn for an hour, staring at the ocean. :confused:

By they way, we found one of the best views to be from the Sunset Bar, all the way aft behind the lawn club. On the Solstice (no alcoves) this area just had tables and chairs if I recall correctly. But on the Reflection the seating is all padded chairs and couches..... very comfy and with great ocean views. :)

Are they close to the pool?

The lawn club is on deck 15, and the pool is just below on deck 14.

Edited by waterbug123

I would like to thank BigDaddy2002 and waterbug123 for posting their experiences in the Alcoves. You have answered a lot of questions I had and also explained things I wasn't aware of that will enhance our fun in June! To those that aren't a fan, I guess we will have to agree to disagree:p

Thanks Christine, I'm sure you will love your alcove! The best part for me was having a quiet place to go where I could be outside enjoying the warm air and ocean breeze, without being in the direct sun. I like the sun, but after skin cancer surgery last spring I didn't want to worry about sunburn every day. Plus it was nice to have a meeting spot for our friends without having to play musical chairs by the pool. Enjoy your cruise and your alcove! :)

You're missing the point about the access. Did you bother to walk around the perimeter of the lawn AT ALL? I guess not, because you would have seen that while SOME pathways were roped off, others were not. Likewise, did you bother to check the bocce lawn areas? They had wide open access during our cruise and were often un-used. Finally, if the alcoves were not there, how do you envision that you would use the lawn? I'm serious, I would really like to know. Do you envision standing in the middle of it for an hour, watching the ocean? Sunbathing on a towel? Strolling through? Relaxing in one of the hammocks that are open to all? Because for the life of me I cannot figure out what your beef is with the views. I can see the ocean in the pictures you posted. Granted, it's not a wide open view, but it's there, so I can't imagine how it would be a negative unless you were, indeed, planning to just stand fixed in one spot on the lawn for an hour, staring at the ocean. :confused:

By they way, we found one of the best views to be from the Sunset Bar, all the way aft behind the lawn club. On the Solstice (no alcoves) this area just had tables and chairs if I recall correctly. But on the Reflection the seating is all padded chairs and couches..... very comfy and with great ocean views. :)

The lawn club is on deck 15, and the pool is just below on deck 14.

Clearly the situation was different on your Reflection cruise. There were no hammocks to lay in, That area, and the large Adirondack chairs were roped off. I suppose I could have jumped over the ropes but clearly they were there for a reason (so that the lawn could recover). I am not questioning the fact that the lawn needed time off, rather I am asserting that it is exactly during these times that the Alcoves are an obstruction. Not only can we not sunbathe or cavort on the lawn, the view is even blocked off.

I am well aware that there are strips of grass on both port and starboard sides but they are intended for games, not relaxing on the lawn.

As for the Sunset Bar, we certainly enjoyed many visits here but it has nothing to do with the lawn access.

Edited by librarylady19

What is the advantage of an alcove when virtually everyone has a balcony?

I think the Alcoves provide several things which a balcony does not. First, unless it is mid-morning or mid to late afternoon, balconies are shaded by the balcony above and even when the sun is at a lower angle, only one side of the ship is going to have direct sun. Second, on a balcony, you really are alone, in a private space. And whereas that is just fine for some all of the time , or for others some of the time, Alcoves provide a reserved area in a public open space. In other words the setting or atmospherics are completely different. Also, unless you have a large veranda in a suite, standard veranda's do not provide chaise lounges and large cushioned chairs with ottomans. Alcoves also allow you to be fully in the sun with its top in the down position or in filtered or shaded light with its roof raised. Finally Alcoves provide a level of service not available in your cabin--"cabana boys" to bring you drinks, fruit, towels, water and as in any area providing service, with tipping, an expanded list of items and you can, for a fee, have spa treatments (massages, facials, manicures) in your Alcove...spa services are not provided in ones cabin.

Edited by slp123

I think the Alcoves provide several things which a balcony does not. First, unless it is mid-morning or mid to late afternoon, balconies are shaded by the balcony above and even when the sun is at a lower angle, only one side of the ship is going to have direct sun. Second, on a balcony, you really are alone, in a private space. And whereas that is just fine for some all of the time , or for others some of the time, Alcoves provide a reserved area in a public open space. In other words the setting or atmospherics are completely different. Also, unless you have a large veranda in a suite, standard veranda's do not provide chaise lounges and large cushioned chairs with ottomans. Alcoves also allow you to be fully in the sun with its top in the down position or in filtered or shaded light with its roof raised. Finally Alcoves provide a level of service not available in your cabin--"cabana boys" to bring you drinks, fruit, towels, water and as in any area providing service, with tipping, an expanded list of items and you can, for a fee, have spa treatments (massages, facials, manicures) in your Alcove...spa services are not provided in ones cabin.

Word:)

Hi all. I'll try to answer the questions as best as possible. I left my group around 6pm at our Alcoves. When I went back around 7:30, all were empty, although I don't think you were required to leave early. We are in San Juan until 10 pm tonight.

The Alcoves have iPod speakers that can also accommodate an iPad for music. The are of the lawn where the Alcoves are is isolated in between the Lawn Club Grill and the Aft Stack. You could hear music from other areas but it was never loud. The ambience is peaceful but not really sedate.

They have the ability to deliver you picnic baskets of food but we were told its the same food as in the ocean view cafe for free. You can easily walk a few steps to the Grill or the Porch for food too. Oddly, they are adamant that you cannot bring food from those restaurants to the Alcoves.

We had drink service all day but I'm not sure what was included as we all have the unlimited drink package.

And they do seem very popular on this sailing. Now I know why.

In the description of the amenities it lists 'special beverage menu'. Do you recall what that is? Were you able to order any beverages you wanted (and use your pre-paid drinks package plan)? Would they obtain tea/coffee, etc. from Cafe Al Bacio also for you?

Were you able to bring food in from other areas of the ship, such as AquaSpa cafe or buffet? (I read that one cannot bring from the closest restaurants but I don't mean those.)

Did the attendant do anything else for you? (I read that there is a dedicated attendant but, other than obtaining beverages and food, I am not sure what they do.)

Thanks.

In the description of the amenities it lists 'special beverage menu'. Do you recall what that is? Were you able to order any beverages you wanted (and use your pre-paid drinks package plan)? Would they obtain tea/coffee, etc. from Cafe Al Bacio also for you?

Were you able to bring food in from other areas of the ship, such as AquaSpa cafe or buffet? (I read that one cannot bring from the closest restaurants but I don't mean those.)

Did the attendant do anything else for you? (I read that there is a dedicated attendant but, other than obtaining beverages and food, I am not sure what they do.)

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you can get massages and pedicures etc..for a fee at your cabana (Seems a little to indulgent for me but I like to say (To each his own and live a little);)

I don't think they want you bringing food but I'll let someone else confirm that. Check out this link on Picnic baskets. Each basket comes with a bottle of wine (Not sure what size)Very romantic :)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=celebrity%20alcoves%20picnic%20basket%20menu&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.creative.rccl.com%2Fe-lite%2FCEL%2FCE_Incentive_Meeting_Charters_eSales_Kit%2FNew_Resources%2FAlcoves_and_Picnic_Basket_Rates_Flyer.pdf&ei=NqwaUZ3qKOyQyQHj34AQ&usg=AFQjCNFGVqCyy8nuBvw39-R4zifOaG0PTg&bvm=bv.42261806,d.aWc

Edited by Doupa22

Thank you Doupa22. I had seen page one of your link and never scrolled down to the second page. :rolleyes:

Now that I see it, I see that none of these baskets will work for us. Also, can't think of why I would want another bottle of wine when I have the premium drink package.

I hope we can bring some food/snacks from elsewhere on the ship!

Clearly the situation was different on your Reflection cruise. There were no hammocks to lay in, That area, and the large Adirondack chairs were roped off. I suppose I could have jumped over the ropes but clearly they were there for a reason (so that the lawn could recover).

Once again.... are you saying EVERY access to the lawn was roped off? Or just some of them? The access areas are narrow and I would imagine the grass wears down pretty quickly, so they rope them off periodically to let the grass recover. BUT, some were always open, as was the greater lawn area. If indeed, the entire lawn area was closed during your cruise, then what difference does it make if there are alcoves or not? :confused:

We had no problem bringing burgers from the Mast Grill, sandwiches from the buffet, or even the canapes etc. left in our cabin by our butler.

Thank you Doupa22. I had seen page one of your link and never scrolled down to the second page. :rolleyes:

Now that I see it, I see that none of these baskets will work for us. Also, can't think of why I would want another bottle of wine when I have the premium drink package.

I hope we can bring some food/snacks from elsewhere on the ship!

What I meant to say is that they will not work for us. Bad proofreading.

First trip on Celebrity but it will definitely not be our last! We have been treated like VIPs from the minute we boarded. Have eaten at Murano and QSine for dinner so far. Both were terrific. QSine is an absolute MUST DO. the food was fantastic and the presentation was very entertaining. Possibly the most fun I've had in a restaurant on land or sea. We ate lunch at the Lawn Club Grill today (we are in San Juan today) and that was also wonderful. We will be back there tomorrow evening for dinner. Tonight it's Tuscan Grill.

After reading all of the constant negativity about the Alcoves I have to admit I was worried when I reserved them for the week before we boarded. All I had read was they were uncomfortable, poorly designed, and rarely used. Well today they are all booked and in full use. They are comfortably appointed and the service is outstanding. Our group if four couples rented two for the week and we all agree is was a great idea. No fighting over pool chairs or trying to arrange in advance where the group will meet up each day.

Arguing their relative value is a lot like arguing who has the correct favorite color. If you don't find them to be a value, don't reserve them. If you feel they block your view if the ocean in the relatively small area they occupy, cruise on the ships that don't have them. Celebrity seems to have hit a home run with the Alcoves. We will try to reserve them every time in the future.

Thanks to Marko, Jordan, Bailey, Regulas, Eliza, Andrea, Evika, and Cesar. You've made this cruise super and we are only on day 3!!

This is great news! We have rented them for 4 days on our upcoming cruise....nice to hear some positive feedback! :)