Catch Fish? Take it home?

palmtre2

Carnival's rules state Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

Agree. I would talk with the excursion people ahead of time to see if they offer this service.

There was a thread on here awhile back stating that a lot of the fishing excursion folks will donate your fish to a needy person or group.

If it is a trophy fish worth mounting, then I would inquire with the excursion folks as to a place that can do the prep and shipping for that.

I wouldn't want to struggle for hours with a Sailfish or Tarpon and then have to leave it behind either.

We fish regularly in the Florida Keys and many outfits there will arrange to freeze and ship to your catch home. Inquire with your crew to see if this can be done for you. Depending on what you catch it may not be worth shipping back to the US due to cost.

Before booking your fishing excursion, see if the company offers to pack your catch in ice and ship it to you, if it's to be consumed. If it's going to be a trophy to display, see if the company offers a taxidermy service. Otherwise, tell the fish to smile, take a couple of photos, get his address so you can send him a copy, then let him go.:D

Years ago I had a doctor who had a beautiful Marlin stuffed and mounted in his office. He caught it somewhere in the Carribbean.

He made arrangements with the charter boat people he went with , and they had the fish prepared and shipped to him.

I don't remember the exact cost but it was pretty steep. And this was 25 years ago if it was a day. god knows what it would cost now. But i guess it can be done.

We fish regularly in the Florida Keys and many outfits there will arrange to freeze and ship to your catch home. Inquire with your crew to see if this can be done for you. Depending on what you catch it may not be worth shipping back to the US due to cost.

of course that is within the US. Its hard to get it back from over seas but not impossible but extremely expensive.

http://www.fws.gov/le/commercial-wildlife-shipment.html

CDC rules(which any ship that stops in the US MUST follow) prohibit bring anything on board that does not come from a certified source and you aren't one of them.

You might be able to ship it, but if you do it will cost a fortune. Also, if the charter captain is a bit dodgy they'll be as likely to ship you some cheap fish and keep the good stuff himself.

You're best off doing catch and release.

This reminds of the story you hear about a lot here. Apparently a lady brought a live starfish on board and kept it in her shower. I assume it died and stunk up the place. :D

Not saying the op meant to bring a dead fish on board and keep it in their room. Imagine the smell. But it would be funny if someone tried.

Thanks for all the replies DH was wondering if he caught something amazing such as a tarpon or a marlin what his options would be.

Please ask him to consider catch and release and then having a replica made. They typically need the length and girth of the fish, species and at least one good picture. they can work without a picture but with a picture they can capture any unique colorations, etc. of that particular fish. The replicas will last forever. there may even be a place that makes them local to you, saving you the cost of shipping.

This reminds of the story you hear about a lot here. Apparently a lady brought a live starfish on board and kept it in her shower. I assume it died and stunk up the place. :D

Not saying the op meant to bring a dead fish on board and keep it in their room. Imagine the smell. But it would be funny if someone tried.

Can't imagine the stink. Friends once brought on smoked fish from the fish market in port. Stunk up the whole hallway for days afterward.

Archived