Croatia Currency

I have recently read that Croatia had been admitted to the EU.

We will be there on the Ruby Princess in Sept 2013. Will Euros be readily accepted at that time?

Thanks, Judy

From everything I've read, I gather that even though it is anticipated that Croatia will join the EU in July 2013, there is not an immediate plan to move to the euro and that if anything it would still be a couple of years before that happens.

Euros are accepted unofficially in some places, but I think for your visit (and mine in May), the kuna will still be the official currency.

From everything I've read, I gather that even though it is anticipated that Croatia will join the EU in July 2013, there is not an immediate plan to move to the euro and that if anything it would still be a couple of years before that happens.

Euros are accepted unofficially in some places, but I think for your visit (and mine in May), the kuna will still be the official currency.

Thanks, I thought that it would be too soon for the Euro but it would be prudent to ask the question.

Judy

That is our take also, we will be there in July and plan on using Kuna's.

Many of the larger tourist places accept Euros but please always ask before ordering/using anything. I saw amusing if not akward scenes in Dubrovnik where two tourist had a coffee and then wanted to pay in Euros which this cafe did not accept, and a number of ladies who wanted to pay for the public toilets with American coins. Of course the Croatians in these cases flipped out.

Euros are not accepted at museums or on the public transport and not in smaller shops (such as bakeries etc). There are ATMs everywhere in Croatia.

Many of the larger tourist places accept Euros but please always ask before ordering/using anything. I saw amusing if not akward scenes in Dubrovnik where two tourist had a coffee and then wanted to pay in Euros which this cafe did not accept, and a number of ladies who wanted to pay for the public toilets with American coins. Of course the Croatians in these cases flipped out.

Euros are not accepted at museums or on the public transport and not in smaller shops (such as bakeries etc). There are ATMs everywhere in Croatia.

Banks abroad don't change foreign coins. So, if you have metal euros or coins, or American coins, you can't change them to the local currency. They are useless to locals, unless they collect coins or plant to visit EU or States in the future.

Is there a place near the port to exchange a small amount of cash (like $20) for snacks and things.

Which port in Croatia? Dubrovnik? Split?

In Dubrovnik, there are many banks (all with ATM) along the road from the port into town.

Our cruise has a stop in Split and one in Dubrovnik. Each one is for a full day. What do you recommend as an amount to have handy to cover the two days? Someone mentioned needing coins for the toilet. Please give further information about that, such as, cost and where one obtains coins as I assume the ATM is not dispensing them. (Are there alternatives to 'pay toilets'?)

Thanks.

I have recently read that Croatia had been admitted to the EU.

We will be there on the Ruby Princess in Sept 2013. Will Euros be readily accepted at that time?

Thanks, Judy

We were in Dubrovnik last August. We had NO trouble getting KUNA. There's a place right in the port, where we also bought our bus tickets. When we wanted more while in the Old Town, there were ATMs everywhere. It was a fun photo-op getting huge piles of KUNA from the ATM using my humble debit card. But there are shops that do exchanges all over the place too...so you can unload your Kuna afterwards if you got too many.

And as others said, things like the admission to City Walls ONLY take Kuna...no cc, no euro, no dollars. Overall, I found this all to be a non-issue, ultimately. I wouldn't try to get Kuna in advance.

Our cruise has a stop in Split and one in Dubrovnik. Each one is for a full day. What do you recommend as an amount to have handy to cover the two days? Someone mentioned needing coins for the toilet. Please give further information about that, such as, cost and where one obtains coins as I assume the ATM is not dispensing them. (Are there alternatives to 'pay toilets'?)

Thanks.

Re: Split

There are public toilets at the harbor near where the ferries dock, and an attendant will give you change for your kunas for the coin-automated toilet. There are a few other public pay toilets in the shopping areas but seemed to have long lines when I was there last fall. Cafes will probably have toilets for patrons.

There is a currency exchange booth as well as an ATM in the area just off the central area of Diocletian's Palace, near the outdoor market. The amount you need depends on whether you will buy lunch and do some shopping. The vendors we visited and the restaurant we went to only took kunas and no credit cards.

We were in Dubrovnik last August. We had NO trouble getting KUNA. There's a place right in the port, where we also bought our bus tickets. When we wanted more while in the Old Town, there were ATMs everywhere. It was a fun photo-op getting huge piles of KUNA from the ATM using my humble debit card. But there are shops that do exchanges all over the place too...so you can unload your Kuna afterwards if you got too many.

And as others said, things like the admission to City Walls ONLY take Kuna...no cc, no euro, no dollars. Overall, I found this all to be a non-issue, ultimately. I wouldn't try to get Kuna in advance.

May I please make a correction. Our city wall is payable in Croatian Kuna, however it does accept credit cards. Small shops, green market and all museums and monastery museum can only accept Kuna.

We have many ATM machines, you can obtain as little as 200 up to 2,000 Kuna. Easy way to remember the exchange rate is divide by 5. Going into the banks of any of our exchange stores the rate will be less.

May I please make a correction. Our city wall is payable in Croatian Kuna, however it does accept credit cards..

Thanks. I was going by info I got from a guide book...so when we visited, I had Kuna ready to go. Didn't notice the cc option. Also, while on the subject of the wall (for the OP)...keep your admittance ticket handy throughout. We were stopped two or three times and asked to produce evidence we had paid to be on the wall.

Archived