Cabanas- Half Moon Cay Info Please!

roscoegirl

Hello all,

I'm sure this may have been asked before but I can't find what I'm looking for using search.

Does anyone have a chart/diagram or pictures of the location/layout of the cabanas on Half Moon Cay? I have reserved a cabana for our August cruise and just wanted to get an idea of the various locations and what is near the cabanas. I want to be somewhat knowledgeable when I board so I can hopefully make the best choice from what's left when I reach the Excursions desk.

Any info you can share would be most appreciated!:)

Thanks a bunch!

Wow! Thanks so much bradm77!!! This is most helpful...is there a way to tell how the cabanas are numbered? Does anyone know which cabanas come under which number?? (ex. cabana 1,2,3, etc.) Again, this map is stellar and gives me a great point of reference when I finally get on board to select my cabana...Hint: I secretly hope most peeps prefer the cabanas AWAY from all the action!

I had asked a very similar questions in the "Private Islands" forum and found the same map...unfortunately, this map is from years ago and is not an updated map. I was hoping to find a more recent map that had the villas included so we know where we can avoid them when we chose which cabana we want.

...that had the villas included so we know where we can avoid them when we chose which cabana we want.

This is what I read on another thread (don't remember if it was here or on the HAL board)...

There are three villas between the shipwreck bar and the first cabana, one between cabanas 8 and 9 and one between cabanas 12 and 13.

I don't have a chart or diagram, but this is what I have come up with from reading about the placement of the new large cabanas on HMC:

1. Tan/gray

2. Blue

3. Turquoise

4. Orange

5. Light Blue

6. Purple

Large Cabana

Large Cabana

Large Cabana

7. Peach

8. Pink

Large Cabana

9. White/Eggshell

10. Green

11. Light Purple

12. Yellow

Large Cabana

13. Brown

14. Red

15. Dark Purple

If you want a cabana close to all the action, pick 1-5. There is some talk of people randomly trying to use the shower at times being so close to a lot of people. I don't know if this is true or not. 6-10 are in the middle...far enough from a lot of people, but close enough to get back to the food and activities easy enough. I have heard the new villas sit closer to the water than the cabanas, so your view is slightly blocked if you are near one. Then 11-15 are the farthest away. I think we had number 9, and it was perfect. This was in August, before the villas were built. If you really want a particular one, be sure to go to the excursion desk right when you get onboard.

Hopefully this photo will help. Notice the brown squares marked "Cabanas"; there are 20 of them, 15 representing cabanas and 5 representing villas. Starting at the bottom, the first seven squares are cabanas 1 - 7. The pirate bar is next (not shown on the map), and then the water sports center. The next three squares are three villas, followed by cabana 8, a villa, cabanas 9 - 12, another villa, and cabanas 13 - 15. I hope it makes sense.

We were there in November, when the villas were still under construction. Loved our cabana (#13); not impressed by the villas. If/when we go back, we'll aim for cabana 15, or better yet, just drag a couple of loungers further down the beach...

156_zps12fa4473.jpg

Here are a couple I took from the ship that give you an idea of the placement of the villas in relation to everything else.

188_zpsdfa75af5.jpg

189_zps64c5ba7c.jpg

We always get Cabana #9 but since the villas were built that will not be our choice any more. When we were there in Oct the villa next to it was all most done. It blocked the view down the beach. Just my opinion but they should have put them next to each other on a different part of the beach. Guess we will go for a higher number without teh villas close by.

I understand that HAL thinks there is a need for these other wise they would not have been built so I am not saying they should not have been built before soemone decides to jump on me about not liking change. This is just my opinion.

.........I understand that HAL thinks there is a need for these other wise they would not have been built so I am not saying they should not have been built before soemone decides to jump on me about not liking change. This is just my opinion.

gusandgidgetsmom,

Each 'Villa' will be paid for in full by Thursday of the first week they're available; from that time forward they will generate ca$h profits. Even if they're wiped out by a hurricane, rebuilding costs will be recouped very quickly. The 'need' for more profit is easy to understand.

Like you I'm leary of the notion of having a potential frat house near my peaceful cabana, but I'll be opting for a villa on my next visit so folks nearby won't have to worry about mine being a frat house. :D Not that there's anything wrong with frat houses, but living near one or seeing HMC spoiled by them isn't my notion of a good 'change.' IMO there've been many 'changes' lately that I don't care for. Suffices to say I no longer believe in change. :rolleyes: (Political pun or comment about corporate America? Whichever; both apply)

gusandgidgetsmom,

Each 'Villa' will be paid for in full by Thursday of the first week they're available; from that time forward they will generate ca$h profits. Even if they're wiped out by a hurricane, rebuilding costs will be recouped very quickly. The 'need' for more profit is easy to understand.

Like you I'm leary of the notion of having a potential frat house near my peaceful cabana, but I'll be opting for a villa on my next visit so folks nearby won't have to worry about mine being a frat house. :D Not that there's anything wrong with frat houses, but living near one or seeing HMC spoiled by them isn't my notion of a good 'change.' IMO there've been many 'changes' lately that I don't care for. Suffices to say I no longer believe in change. :rolleyes: (Political pun or comment about corporate America? Whichever; both apply)

Words of wisdom Paul. No one knows more about HMC. How many times have you been there?

Thank you all for your replies...the info, maps and pics are very helpful. I see there's a tram but looks like it only goes as far as the 1st five cabanas (maybe)...since one of our party has mobility issues I don't think I'll try for anything farther than the sports area. So much to think about and consider...I wanted to have at least an idea of the layout (pros/cons) and 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices ready. YOU are WONDERFUL!!! Your help will certainly make my decision clearer and also, to allow for a back-up plan if we can't get our 1st choice!!! Much love and happy sails!!:)

I have a cabana booked for our March cruise. Appreciate the info about the villas. Hadn't heard of them until now. I'm pretty sure they weren't available under the excursions when I was looking a couple months ago. They do show up now.

Hope whatever group books one nearest to us (I'm going for highest # cabana I can get) isn't too much like a frat house. There are still 4 available so maybe they won't sell out and whatever is closest to me will be empty! :)

Edited by gargoyle999

Words of wisdom Paul. No one knows more about HMC. How many times have you been there?

Jim,

Thank you.

We haven't been there anywhere near as many times as I'd like to have been there! My best guess would be five times, but it may be more and unless it gets obliterated by a hurricane and they stop calling there I shall return many times. It's our favorite port of call by far. :)

There's a lot of activities I'd like to do at HMC; Horseback riding, stingrays etc, but the relaxation of the cabanas is just too much to pass up. If we ever manage to overnight there then I'll try the other excursions. :cool:

The one thing I'd love to see them offer at HMC is an overnight visit that would include a bonfire in a large log arena similar to what Premier Cruise Line used to have at Salt Cay AKA The Blue Lagoon near Nassau.

I have a cabana booked for our March cruise. Appreciate the info about the villas. Hadn't heard of them until now. I'm pretty sure they weren't available under the excursions when I was looking a couple months ago. They do show up now.

Hope whatever group books one nearest to us (I'm going for highest # cabana I can get) isn't too much like a frat house. There are still 4 available so maybe they won't sell out and whatever is closest to me will be empty! :)

gargoyle999,

If one doesn't sell you can bet the crew will pounce on the opportunity to enjoy it for the day. It's not uncommon for the crew to reserve a cabana, but you won't know the difference unless you recognize them. They will most likely be well behaved.

Thank you all for your replies...the info, maps and pics are very helpful. I see there's a tram but looks like it only goes as far as the 1st five cabanas (maybe)...since one of our party has mobility issues I don't think I'll try for anything farther than the sports area. So much to think about and consider...I wanted to have at least an idea of the layout (pros/cons) and 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices ready. YOU are WONDERFUL!!! Your help will certainly make my decision clearer and also, to allow for a back-up plan if we can't get our 1st choice!!! Much love and happy sails!!:)

That tram runs all the way down to the last cabanas. We had 8 & 9 when we were there last May and IMO it was the perfect area! Bathroom was right behind 9 and it was a short walk to food/picnic area. Everyone raves about the higher number cabanas but it's a LONG walk to get to the picnic area. I wouldn't even consider it if you have someone with mobility issues!

Jim,

The one thing I'd love to see them offer at HMC is an overnight visit that would include a bonfire in a large log arena similar to what Premier Cruise Line used to have at Salt Cay AKA The Blue Lagoon near Nassau.

Now that would be cool!

I am with you I would love an overnight in HMC. We have been there 2 times in less than a year (4 times before that) and will be there in June. It is one of our favorite ports and I would love to be able to sit by a bonfire and enjoy the water.

I hope I do not jinx myself but we have always been able to tender in. Someone on our last visit said they had tried 3 times and this was the first time they had been able to get in. I would be so sad!

Jim,

Thank you.

We haven't been there anywhere near as many times as I'd like to have been there! My best guess would be five times, but it may be more and unless it gets obliterated by a hurricane and they stop calling there I shall return many times. It's our favorite port of call by far. :)

There's a lot of activities I'd like to do at HMC; Horseback riding, stingrays etc, but the relaxation of the cabanas is just too much to pass up. If we ever manage to overnight there then I'll try the other excursions. :cool:

• 2 years later...