Sailing on Splendida next week - some questions please

annim

We sail next week out of Civitavecchia, Genoa, Marseille, Barcelona, LaGoulette, Palermo. I have been searching here and found tons of info, but still have a few questions.

1. If Tunis gets cancelled, what port do they substitute in it's place?

2. Taking the train to Medina in Tunis, wondering how we would then get to the American Cemetary, and then back to the ship - I'm kind of leary about taking a cab

3. Is it impossible to "smuggle" water when we get on in civitavecchia

4. How much does it cost to order coffee, or juice delivered room service (I like to use this as our morning wake-up call)

5. Thinking about just wandering the streets in Genoa. Good idea or no?

6. Are there any easy to find, walkable, must see things in Palermo and Genoa?

7. Has anyone been to the catacombs in Palermo? If so, is there a charge to enter, and is it easy to walk to from the ship

8. Are there any attractions where there will be an unexpected entry fee, should we always carry euros?

9. We will be disembarking in Civitavecchia. I'm still confused about this. The plan is to take the train back to Rome, as we will be staying an extra day to go to the Vatican. With our luck it's going to be raining that day, so I don't relish the thought of walking from the ship to the train station. Please help! What plan should I make for this?

Thank you thank you!!!

Ok I think that's it

I can only help you with number 4 - breakfast in your cabin is free. just fill out the card the night before and hang it outside your door. If you take milk in your coffee, remember to tick the box for that as well or they'll assume you'll drink it black

No direct experience. Based on research.

1. I predict a Tunis cancel will go to Valencia.

2. http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/na.php

3. I have asked questions and no one responding has ever had water confiscated when boarding or returning from excursion. You get lots of warnings from those concerned about rules.

4. No data.

5. http://www.genova-turismo.it/spip.php?article408 Travel agency Ligur Sind in via Balbi near train station is supposed to sell them.

6. Yes. I have been using Lonely Planet Italy for planning.

7. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombe_dei_Cappuccini Google Maps shows the site about 2km from port.

8. Yes. Get euros from ATM (cashpoint) machines with your bank card. Need 4 digit PIN.

9. Plan on walking to train station after shuttle bus to port entrance. Take taxis that meet ship if you can't or won't walk.

Questions for you to answer for me please after your trip. We go about a month after you.

What is cost and convenience of shuttle buses in Marseilles and Barcelona to city?

Ship excursion to Kairouan from Tunis. Did it operate and what was the buzz about it after return.

Ship excursion to Ostia Antica from Civitavecchia. Did it operate and what was the buzz after return?

MSC already announced that if Tunis is to be cancelled, the ship will go to Malta.

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/Safe-MSC-Cruises-Itinerary.aspx

Yes, as mentioned by AmoMondo, breakfast room service is free (other than the day you disembark, no room service will be available). I think Pete has posted the breakfast menu in another post.

Shuttle bus offered by MSC is expensive, Barcelona is 8€/adult and Marseille is 15€/adult. There is actually another port shuttle bus that cost about 4€/adult at Barcelona. You might get lucky at Marseille with a local cab, usually they ask for 20€ or more just to go to the old port. So regardless of which method you choose, the transport cost is expensive.

9. We will be disembarking in Civitavecchia. I'm still confused about this. The plan is to take the train back to Rome, as we will be staying an extra day to go to the Vatican. With our luck it's going to be raining that day, so I don't relish the thought of walking from the ship to the train station. Please help! What plan should I make for this?

Take an umbrella! The train station is only a few minutes walk even with luggage. Taxis won't want to take you to the train station - they will want to take you to Rome or the airport.

I'm looking at this itinerary to. Have never cruised MSC before though. Do they not offer transfers from airport to ship and vice versa? I've been on their website many times now but cannot seem to navigate it successfully..it always seems to freeze up on me and keep taking me back to the same page! Tempted to ring them but don't want sales people then bombarding me with callbacks. What ,in general,,is the passenger base on their ships? As it's an Italian cruise line is it more geared to the Italians? I speak French and Spanish with a tiny bit of Italian so I'm happy with that but just wondered about other things,,entertainment etc.

Cruisecritic's introduction of MSC should give you a fairly good idea of the cruiseline.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline_b.cfm?utm_expid=68063032-17&CruiseLineID=80

West Med on MSC Splendida will almost certainly mean English speakers are in the minority, and in summer seasons, about half of the passengers are Italians, and many others are Germans. They made announcements in five languages, hence you multi-lingual skills definitely is a plus.

Just heard there are hundreds of Chineses on this week's cruise, as it's Chinese New Year holiday in China and MSC was very successful in promoting the early spring cruises to the Asian markets.

Is it a limited breakfast or can you get something substantial delivered to your cabin...... I cherish the thought of having breakfast on my balcony every morning. Heading out on the Divina soon (ish), first time with MSC

I can only help you with number 4 - breakfast in your cabin is free. just fill out the card the night before and hang it outside your door. If you take milk in your coffee, remember to tick the box for that as well or they'll assume you'll drink it black

Is it a limited breakfast or can you get something substantial delivered to your cabin...... I cherish the thought of having breakfast on my balcony every morning. Heading out on the Divina soon (ish), first time with MSC

Not really, just rolls or croissants and that sort of thing. I have the continental room service as my early morning wake up call and then head later to the MDR for my omelette!

West Med on MSC Splendida will almost certainly mean English speakers are in the minority, and in summer seasons, about half of the passengers are Italians, and many others are Germans. They made announcements in five languages, hence you multi-lingual skills definitely is a plus.

I sailed west med on Splendida. First place was Italian speakers, and English second place. However, never had significant difficulty communicating with crew, and English being 'universal' many spoke it.

With smaller gatherings, and things like tours they sort out who speaks want so that they don't just speak a language if nobody needs it. Also for dinner you are seated with those of the same language so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

With smaller gatherings, and things like tours they sort out who speaks want so that they don't just speak a language if nobody needs it.

Yes, from the reviews, routine communication isn't a problem. Eventhough you might not get seated with English speakers, but reviewers often enjoyed their meal with other minority language speakers. It's an eye opening experience.

But the above bit just reminded me of the MSC hit and miss shore excursions, especially with English tours. Notoriously, MSC could cancel English tour at the last minutes for lack of number or if a dual-language tour, some guides could practically ignored the English group.

West Med should be the most DIY-able cruise itinerary though.

We did our first MSC cruise last November, not the same ports but similar. Can't answer most of the questions you asked, but here is the beginning report of our cruise on the Splendida: http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/11/boarding-msc-splendida.html

Genoa--it's walkable to some attractions nearby, like Cathedral San Lorenzo area.

Barcelona--need to take the shuttles between ship and city, 8 euros pp, if I remember correctly or you can take a taxi.

Civitavecchia--need to take the shuttles from ship to port gate then walk to train station. can't walk from ship to train station. There could be a long line for the shuttles.

Have a great trip!

Archived