Taking a pet to England and back

OceanPatter

In answer to the question about dogs getting motion sickness.... In my experience the answer is NO!

Travelling in aircraft, helicopters ships and boats is no big issue just as long as they have the confidence to get into these craft. By that I mean going up ladders\stairways to get into these craft, being lifted in a harness or carried into them. Once aboard they may well look out the window (aircraft or helicopter) or just lay down and rest.

There are I believe 12 kennels aboard the Queen Mary 2 and MUCH respect to the author for considering this.

A Jack Russel!! I thought you said you had a dog, not a hairy rodent!!!! :rolleyes:;):)

No the hairy rodent looking one was dog before, Laso Apso called Ozzie after the great Mr Ardiles!! lol

I do believe you can't book the kennels till you have booked a cruise and might have to go on a waiting list.

You won't see dogs and cats wandering about the ship because they are kept in the kennels on deck 12. They poop on the deck which is then washed down and is kept scrupulously clean.

In that case I could bring my cat when it's cruise-time for me :D

Although I'm very attached to my dear cat, I've already arranged a holiday for him too, staying at my parent's while I'm away, which won't be for quiet some time unfortunately.

In that case I could bring my cat when it's cruise-time for me :D

Although I'm very attached to my dear cat, I've already arranged a holiday for him too, staying at my parent's while I'm away, which won't be for quiet some time unfortunately.

Just to avoid any possible confusion when people are searching the board once this thread has died and gone to thread-heaven, it's probably worth say that, of the three ships in the current Cunard fleet, only QM2 has kennels - the Vista Sistas have no such facility. In addition, unless things have changed recently, my understanding is that the kennels are only available for crossings and not for cruises. Shame really - your cat would have loved it!! :D:D

J

You won't see dogs and cats wandering about the ship because they are kept in the kennels on deck 12. They poop on the deck which is then washed down and is kept scrupulously clean.

Just to avoid any possible confusion when people are searching the board once this thread has died and gone to thread-heaven, it's probably worth say that, of the three ships in the current Cunard fleet, only QM2 has kennels - the Vista Sistas have no such facility. In addition, unless things have changed recently, my understanding is that the kennels are only available for crossings and not for cruises. Shame really - your cat would have loved it!! :D:D

J

Haha, I am actually planning a crossing on QM2. East or westbound, still undecided. Hopping from island to island or far off lands in Asia or Africa just ain't my thing lol. Although I've never been there and done that, so can I really say I don't like it? One to think about for sure!:cool:

Indeed - the cat would have LOVED it. I think "Luxury" is hit middle name :D:D, he doesn't mind at all to be spoilet rotten :p

...Indeed - the cat would have LOVED it. I think "Luxury" is hit middle name :D:D, he doesn't mind at all to be spoilet rotten :p

Yes, all my cats have been exactly the same. They would certainly feel that they were born to travel on the Cunard flagship in the lap of maritime luxury. Not sure how they would have felt about living next door to d*gs though! :D

Cue comment from Sir Martin/Lord Stanley!

J

Haha, I am actually planning a crossing on QM2. East or westbound, still undecided. Hopping from island to island or far off lands in Asia or Africa just ain't my thing lol. Although I've never been there and done that, so can I really say I don't like it? One to think about for sure!:cool:

Indeed - the cat would have LOVED it. I think "Luxury" is hit middle name :D:D, he doesn't mind at all to be spoilet rotten :p

Probably not. I've sat in the Soton terminal waiting to board and watching the animals arrive. The dogs always went by on leashes. They looked happy, tails wagging. Every cat I saw was in a carrier, and NOT looking at all pleased with life. Your cat will be better off with your parents than in a cage on a ship. If your parents are anything like mine, your cat will get plenty of spoiling with them!

Yes, all my cats have been exactly the same. They would certainly feel that they were born to travel on the Cunard flagship in the lap of maritime luxury. Not sure how they would have felt about living next door to d*gs though! :D

Cue comment from Sir Martin/Lord Stanley!

J

Humans in kennels, cats in QG, dogs weighted down and chucked overboard.

Seemples.

Sir M and Lord S

...Your cat will be better off with your parents than in a cage on a ship...

A cage?!! Sir M told me that his firm - Norfolk Naval Architects (all your ship design problems sorted good) - had designed and installed all the kitty cabins and that they were simply scaled down versions of a Q1 suite. Are you saying that this is not the case?

J

Probably not. I've sat in the Soton terminal waiting to board and watching the animals arrive. The dogs always went by on leashes. They looked happy, tails wagging. Every cat I saw was in a carrier, and NOT looking at all pleased with life. Your cat will be better off with your parents than in a cage on a ship. If your parents are anything like mine, your cat will get plenty of spoiling with them!

Absolutely, that's why that plan is made now, long before I book my trip! :)

I have read that when a dog is lodged in kennels he will bond with the first person who feeds him. This will be his pack leader until his people collect him.

If you bring a dog trans Atlantic to holiday in UK, for whose benefit - you or the dog?

David.

A cage?!! Sir M told me that his firm - Norfolk Naval Architects (all your ship design problems sorted good) - had designed and installed all the kitty cabins and that they were simply scaled down versions of a Q1 suite. Are you saying that this is not the case?

J

Oh, dear! Did you book the Sir Martin Luxury Travel upgrade for your cat? I think the pictures in the brochure were photoshopped to improve their appearance.

What a pity Mr Cruachan doesn't apply the same technique to photographs of himself.:D:D

Sir M and Lord S

No Photoshop required for little ole moi Sir M. Look at this - nine and a half stone soaking wet through! Not an ounce of fat there.

J

me_hong_kong_zps94d9ac8d.jpg

No Photoshop required for little ole moi Sir M. Look at this - nine and a half stone soaking wet through! Not an ounce of fat there.

J

Some time back in the 80s, I mislaid a particularly unpleasant-looking rat that had taken quite a time to capture and secure. Always good to solve a mystery - it's lurking under your nose.

Do you still have it by any chance?

Sir Martin

Some time back in the 80s, I mislaid a particularly unpleasant-looking rat that had taken quite a time to capture and secure. Always good to solve a mystery - it's lurking under your nose.

Do you still have it by any chance?

Sir Martin

That's not a rat you idiot. That's a mousetache!

By the way, despite the fact that that photo was taken nearly ?5 years ago, some of that kit still fits me!

J

I have read that when a dog is lodged in kennels he will bond with the first person who feeds him. This will be his pack leader until his people collect him.

If you bring a dog trans Atlantic to holiday in UK, for whose benefit - you or the dog?

David.

Not Jean Luc and I really don't think that is the way it is with dogs. I think you have your animals mixed up.

As the original poster, I do have to say that this thread has meandered a bit (humorously) ... from dogs to cats to rats to mice(tache) ... oh my!

It is nice, however, to see the transatlantic exchange going on.

wait till they start on formal wear for the pets:rolleyes:you aint seen nuttin yet

As the original poster, I do have to say that this thread has meandered a bit (humorously) ... from dogs to cats to rats to mice(tache) ... oh my!

Thread meandering, aka thread drift (or possibly dread thrift) is the USP of this board. It has made for some lively discussions on far ranging topics down the years.

It is nice, however, to see the transatlantic exchange going on.

It may not be as transatlantic as you think if you mean the exchange between me and the dead cat! :D

J

Only cads and bounders wear pre-tied.

Does that answer your question?

Sir Martin:D

Perfectly thanks!

Oops, sorry - I wasn't wearing my reading glasses. I thought you said "only cats and flounders".

Are you calling me a cad and a bounder? :eek:

J

Perfectly thanks!

Oops, sorry - I wasn't wearing my reading glasses. I thought you said "only cats and flounders".

Are you calling me a cad and a bounder? :eek:

J

Dab-ling in the unknown pout ing or carp ing on about fishy topics might see us fall off our pirch and is it only pike-ys that have pre-tied items. Will they fall off when doing the conger?

Archived