Taking a pet to England and back

OceanPatter

We're thinking of taking our Westie on a vacation with us to the British Isles, and wanted to know if anyone has taken a pet on a round-trip transatlantic crossing (NY - Southampton and back). If so, are there any restrictions in bringing a pet back into the US? Also, are there dog-friendly places to stay outside of London?

Obviously, we're somewhat attached to our dog! Thanks for sharing any info.

We're thinking of taking our Westie on a vacation with us to the British Isles, and wanted to know if anyone has taken a pet on a round-trip transatlantic crossing (NY - Southampton and back). If so, are there any restrictions in bringing a pet back into the US? Also, are there dog-friendly places to stay outside of London?

================================

Never seen a pet on a cruise in all my many cruises. Where do you walk him to take a poop aboard ship? Sounds like more hassles than it's worth. What if they refuse to let it off the ship in ports? Better to leave it at home, IMHO.:cool:

================================

Never seen a pet on a cruise in all my many cruises. Where do you walk him to take a poop aboard ship? Sounds like more hassles than it's worth. What if they refuse to let it off the ship in ports? Better to leave it at home, IMHO.:cool:

You won't see dogs and cats wandering about the ship because they are kept in the kennels on deck 12. They poop on the deck which is then washed down and is kept scrupulously clean.

Used to visit the kennels on QE2 and the dogs seemed very well cared for. Owners can see them (in the kennel area) during the day. We always discussed how our fur baby just would not understand this cage stuff.:eek: Why would we not take her with us back to our bed as usual at bedtime? As much as we miss her when traveling, it seems almost cruel to us to just see her during "visiting hours" at the jail.:eek:

I heard it was very difficult for a dog to gain admittance to England. Hopefully, this has changed. We would absolutely love, love, love to take our dog with us to England! I have never sailed with Cunard before but this might convince me --- especially if we could go round-trip!! I hate to fly these days!

I suspect that if you sailed to the UK with your dog then when you reached the UK it would go in to Quarantine you would not be able travel the UK with him/her You would have to check what restrictions the US border agency have after being on UK soil.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/quarantine/

I suspect that if you sailed to the UK with your dog then when you reached the UK it would go in to Quarantine you would not be able travel the UK with him/her You would have to check what restrictions the US border agency have after being on UK soil.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/quarantine/

It's not as bad as you suggest - or at least it doesn't have to be - since the OP is in the US and will be sailing from Brooklyn. Some preparations are required but they're not even as onerous as they were a few years ago:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk-120229.pdf

Summarizing:

• Microchipped
  • Vaccinated against rabies since having been microchipped, vaccination is current
  • EU Pet Passport or Official Veterinary Certificate
  • At least 21 days since rabies vaccination
  • Entering via an approved carrier
  • Tapeworm treatment 1-5 days from arrival in UK

If the above are met the pet will not be quarantined.

When I investigated this a couple of years back there was some discussion as to the standard of the microchip to ensure it would be readable by the authorities in the UK but I'm not caught up on the details of that. More info here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/microchips/

A greater issue could be the availability of kennel space. Advance planning is required - I think the kennels sell out long before the staterooms.

Underwatr: is correct in that the UK pet movement restrictions has altered of late from my post.#8

As to traveling around the UK try http://www.dogpeople.co.uk/ for starters or there are a number of books on Amazon.co.uk

AA Publishing: Pet Friendly Places to Stay 2012

I think it wrong to judge what folks will do or not do regarding their pets and if the author can afford to take their pet with them on a cruise and it is possible, then the best of luck to them.

I am surprised that we allow animals into our country from areas that have rabies but rules are rules and if the author has complied with them then all credit to them.

Good luck and best wishes

John

You will find lots of dog friendly places in UK.

http://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/

I'm interested to know how much it costs to take a dog onboard with you.

Only as a point of information, don't leave your dog tied up anywhere on its own, dognapping has been on the increase in UK, even to the point of dogs being stolen straight from peoples gardens. Not meaning to scare you or anything just to inform you, I don't even tie mine up outside shop, and I live in a small village!

This seems to answer all the questions.

http://theroadunleashed.com/posts/qm2_kennels_faq

I think the OP must be very attached to the dog. It is quite a rigmarole and when all the regulations have been completed, expensive.

If I had a dog would I do it. No.

David

I agree, my dog would hate being in the kennels, he would howl and howl, we have to get in a dogsitter when we go out for the evening and get someone to move in when we are away. He was a stray and we got him from the Bluecross ( animal charity) and I think it would be cruel to send him kennels, he might think we are getting rid of him!! yeah I am a soft touch. lol

I agree, my dog would hate being in the kennels, he would howl and howl, we have to get in a dogsitter when we go out for the evening and get someone to move in when we are away. He was a stray and we got him from the Bluecross ( animal charity) and I think it would be cruel to send him kennels, he might think we are getting rid of him!! yeah I am a soft touch. lol

:) Me thinks your pooch has you wrapped around his little paw?? I bet he is a closet Gunners supporter.

A nice piece of 2x2 would soon sort out that howling issue ;)

No, I did not say a .22!!

What's 2x2?

J

This is a training aid that encourages the disobedient dog to behave themselves.

When the dog barks the owner should give a single word command to stop them...

Quiet

Stop

Cease

No

Please :)

Just one word that is clear and short.

If the dog ignores or disobeys then the next time they bark, give the command again and if they carry on barking tickle them between the ears with this

If 'tickled' firmly then I gaurantee the dog will not bark again. ;)

Some dog trainers charge a fortune for their professional advice but this remedy is free gratis but...

Caveat Emptor

As the one who posed the question, I wanted to see if anyone had actually completed a round-trip transatlantic with a dog. It doesn't appear that this is done often - which is understandable, given the hassles involved. But I do appreciate all the links and information everyone provided.

In case you didn't read the recent article in the New York Times, 'Seven Days on the Queen Mary 2' (also published in England), there was a lovely comment from one reader about the kennels:

"One of the main reasons we made five crossings was not mentioned. The kennels!

Anyone traveling with a pet transatlantic and not wanting to fly a pet below, will come to love the kennels.

Daily dog biscuits arrive in the morning and roast chicken in the afternoons. A kennel master sees to the pets, a section of the deck is closed off for them to exercise and do their business, and an indoor playroom is there when the weather is nasty. One can spend as much time as one wants in the kennel with your pet, except at night.

We made lasting friendships with other dog owners as well."

This was also described in the detailed link that balf (David) provided above - thanks very much.

:) Me thinks your pooch has you wrapped around his little paw?? I bet he is a closet Gunners supporter.

A nice piece of 2x2 would soon sort out that howling issue ;)

No, I did not say a .22!!

Wash your mouth out out, no red in my house!! actually he is named Tommy after the Hud, expect he is a Jack Russell and has no fro lol

I actually discussed this thread with my Mum, and we both decided that we would not put a dog in a kennels on a ship, do dogs get seasick?

Wash your mouth out out, no red in my house!! actually he is named Tommy after the Hud, expect he is a Jack Russell and has no fro lol

I actually discussed this thread with my Mum, and we both decided that we would not put a dog in a kennels on a ship, do dogs get seasick?

In answer to the question about dogs getting motion sickness.... In my experience the answer is NO!

Travelling in aircraft, helicopters ships and boats is no big issue just as long as they have the confidence to get into these craft. By that I mean going up ladders\stairways to get into these craft, being lifted in a harness or carried into them. Once aboard they may well look out the window (aircraft or helicopter) or just lay down and rest.

There are I believe 12 kennels aboard the Queen Mary 2 and MUCH respect to the author for considering this.

A Jack Russel!! I thought you said you had a dog, not a hairy rodent!!!! :rolleyes:;):)

Don't know about dogs, but my ex-cat used to start vomiting (and worse) as I put the car in reverse to leave the driveway.

Mary:eek:

And his little equally deceased chum used to be quite handy at performing with the other end under similar circumstances :D

J

As the one who posed the question, I wanted to see if anyone had actually completed a round-trip transatlantic with a dog. It doesn't appear that this is done often - which is understandable, given the hassles involved. But I do appreciate all the links and information everyone provided.

In case you didn't read the recent article in the New York Times, 'Seven Days on the Queen Mary 2' (also published in England), there was a lovely comment from one reader about the kennels:

"One of the main reasons we made five crossings was not mentioned. The kennels!

Anyone traveling with a pet transatlantic and not wanting to fly a pet below, will come to love the kennels.

Daily dog biscuits arrive in the morning and roast chicken in the afternoons. A kennel master sees to the pets, a section of the deck is closed off for them to exercise and do their business, and an indoor playroom is there when the weather is nasty. One can spend as much time as one wants in the kennel with your pet, except at night.

We made lasting friendships with other dog owners as well."

This was also described in the detailed link that balf (David) provided above - thanks very much.

It sounds so good, I considered booking our next cruise "Kennel Class"!

Here's a young lady who was certainly enjoying herself somewhere between Soton and NYC.

J

061_zps7919cf76.jpg

Archived