Bathroom help! NCL Star vs. Epic

CharismaticWoman

I am hoping someone can help me with this. Are the bathrooms on the NCL Epic bigger or smaller or the same as those on the Star? I am asking because having just returned from the Star the toilet closet was the smallest I have ever seen and was a problem. I saw a review somewhere where somebody said they were having problems taking care of business because the bathroom was so small. Had I known this before hand I may not have booked this particular ship. I am planning on going on the Epic next but I want to know how the bathrooms compare to the Star. The bathroom on the Star was so small and because my legs are long my knee probably stuck out of the room about 4 inches from where the door should be closed (more on that later). I imagine on Epic this could be a bigger problem as if I'm unable to close the door basically that means the toilet is now in the middle of the room since it isn't inside of another door. Gross.....

I realize for some that this may be too much information but Cruise Critic has always been a great place for people to share information so I want to share with others that might be interested and I'm hoping to get a answer to my question. Overall I had a great time, I'll post a review later but I was concerned about the bathroom on Epic based on my experience on the Star.

Thanks!

we have been on the Star and my DH complained also....he "couldn't get comfortable"....

the Epic bathroom (toilet area) is much better compared to the Star but still somewhat confined...not nearly as bad though and DH did not complain for the 11 nights we were on the Epic....

hope this helps....I think he will be fine..don't pass up this great ship!! :)

Marsha

I have been on both, with the star in 11/12 and the epic in 10/11. Frankly the star bathroom seemed smaller to me, and I am short five feet four. My problem was more moving around in the shower than sitting on the toilet.

But I would not go so far as the size of the bathroom ruined the trip. Just made for some quick showering, specially when the star had no hot water for three days.

I know some people complained about the glass door on the toilet on the epic but to me it was ok. But then I was there with a husband of 25 years and raised four boys so "the bathroom" privacy issue is one I never had too much,luck with!

Having been on both ships - the bathroom (toilet) section of the epic was slightly bigger and more comfortable than the Star. Of note - on the Star - the inside cabins have a different bathroom layout - with the toilet in the "open" - not it's own separate compartment in the bathroom like the balcony cabins have. So, while an inside cabin might not be as desirable - the alternate bathroom layout may give you another option. I'm sure this could apply to other ships also (other than the Star and Epic).

I personally hated the bathroom on the Epic - primarily because my partner and I shared the room with my mom. We had previously shared a mini-suite no problem - but the Epic layout and bathroom configuration just crossed the line of comfort and TMI! Of course, we were on the inaugural TA sailing, so we didn't have the luxury of the first-hand feedback of CC in advance!

We have cruised numerous times but the Epic bathroom left not much to the imagination. Even with just my husband of over 40 yrs it was "uncomfortable". The bed would get wet everytime we used the sink , even after being aware of the water pressure.Very poor "new age" design.As for the size of the bathroom areas, they were ok, haven't been on the Star to compare.

Having been on both ships - the bathroom (toilet) section of the epic was slightly bigger and more comfortable than the Star. Of note - on the Star - the inside cabins have a different bathroom layout - with the toilet in the "open" - not it's own separate compartment in the bathroom like the balcony cabins have. So, while an inside cabin might not be as desirable - the alternate bathroom layout may give you another option. I'm sure this could apply to other ships also (other than the Star and Epic).

Now this makes sense. I was confused becase we were aboard the Star and although I am short, DH is tall and did not have any problems with the bathroom on the Star. However, we were in an Aft Facing Penthouse Suite. Basically, I thought all the bathrooms were set-up with the same layout.

I don't have any problem with bathroom/commode enclosures, but Norwegian (along with multiple other cruise lines) have a design flaw in my opinion. The commode height is higher than the standard American home. I won't go into how this makes business difficult.

I love the bathroom set up on the Epic, and am sorry it won't be like this on the Getaway. One can use the bathroom while someone else is in the shower. And there is a door - never understood why this was such an issue to married couples (friends, yes ... but married people?!). There is also a curtain that seperates the bathroom area from the rest of the cabin. On second thought - we had a balcony cabin .... to be fair, I can understand how this set up would be an issue in an ocean view or an inside cabin.

I don't have any problem with bathroom/commode enclosures, but Norwegian (along with multiple other cruise lines) have a design flaw in my opinion. The commode height is higher than the standard American home. I won't go into how this makes business difficult.

LOL too funny! :D

I love the bathroom set up on the Epic, and am sorry it won't be like this on the Getaway. One can use the bathroom while someone else is in the shower. And there is a door - never understood why this was such an issue to married couples (friends, yes ... but married people?!). There is also a curtain that seperates the bathroom area from the rest of the cabin. On second thought - we had a balcony cabin .... to be fair, I can understand how this set up would be an issue in an ocean view or an inside cabin.

We DID have a case where we had too many people getting ready in our room and I just walked down the hall and used the showers and such at the gym :)

We DID have a case where we had too many people getting ready in our room and I just walked down the hall and used the showers and such at the gym :)

That's a really good idea. DH would hang on the deck when DD needed to shower and such. Our friends had spa passes, and one would go shower in the spa (which he liked better than the cabin shower) while the other used the cabin!

Hopefully the OP understands the uniqueness of the Epic bathrooms. If lack of knee room was enough to prompt a concerned post, just imagine if she goes in expecting a traditional bath on the Epic

Haha, oh yes I am well aware of how they are set up. Personally from what I've seen the design doesn't make any sense at all but DH and I are willing to give it a try, we always like trying something new. At the very least it will be an "experience". I've already told DH that I will be pulling that curtain every time go to use the facilities. Even though we are married it's still nice to have a little privacy in the bathroom.

I've already told DH that I will be pulling that curtain every time go to use the facilities. Even though we are married it's still nice to have a little privacy in the bathroom.

Certain personal sounds from the toilet can be heard in the living areas of the cabin. However, you can always crank up the TV and run water in the sink, then pull the curtain.

Archived