Carnival Cruise Lines President: 'Conditions Onboard the Ship Are Very Challenging'

LauraS

I doubt everyone is safe since they are having EMT triage waiting at the dock for when they get there.

FWIW the EMT's are a "just in case" measure. They weren't requested by Carnival, they have volunteered to be there waiting. If passengers were in real medical distress the Coast Guard would evacuate them as they already have evacuated one passenger who needed dialysis.

Reading the posts and listening to the news of this boondoggle of Carnival, first I want to say that my sympathy goes out to those aboard this cruise from hell. There are good cruises.

Now, it is deplorable how Communication works from Cruise lines to passengers aboard the ship and to families concerned about their loved ones. This needs to be addressed and REQUIREMENTS put in place so that passengers, families and crew members find out more of what is planned from those in charge than from the news media as appears to be happening again.

How many times do we hear," It's bingo time", etc.. "Your Captain speaking" yes, they don't have power but they do have bull horns and announcements can be made on the decks at PLANNED intervals. Yes they have backup power so flyers could be given out or POSTED on bulletin boards around the public places. this is inexcusable. Help lines can be set up for families to call. Emails could be sent like the ads that send you now. I understand why a poster does not want to cruise on another Carnival Ship after viewing this and wants his money back. He deserves it with this line. News media reports that as of 2/2 this ship was undergoing repairs for ongoing problems with electrical systems; and back up generators have to be airlifted to assist the ship???

Last question. Why did they tow the ship to US when they were 150 miles off the coast of Mexico. Could it have been closer to return to port? Don't tell me it would have cost more to fly folks back because it is going to cost them mucho denero from this mishap and the loss of future bookings by these and other cruisers on Carnival Line

Wonder if the future Galveston Bookings for RCCL and Disney are even more in demand for this port.

Hope everyone returns home safely and without further troubles. Happy Cruising to ya'll!

IANAL, but there were no successful suits against carnival when this same thing happened to Splendor.

That is completely false. Many suits were settled and these "winners" of the suit settled for big money and signed a non-disclosure. You are completely wrong, and yes I factually know this but won't say more.

Just got off the Oasis where they refuse to go to any port without a dock. They don't believe they can get the 5000 passengers off in a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't speak well of an evacuation plan. We never saw any of the lifeboats ever used. You don't want the first use to be in an emergency and discover problems at that point.

I am not trying to be sarcastic but I take it you no longer cruise? Lifeboats are the main emergency system for getting off the ship. Any ship.

I am sick and tired of people who have NO knowledge spouting their nonsense. Its sad and pathetic. Lifeboats are for looks and not use?/ Why can't they simply use them?? A lifeboat should not be able to fall?? A tugboat can reduce and or shield waves???

as the kids say OMG!!!!!!!

All of those questions are inherently ignorant!!! Lifeboats are just that LIFEboats. Any kind of transfer at seas has dangers involved. And not that it matters(and NO NO NO it did not involve Carnival), but a lifeboat fell from a ship in Europe just recently killing 5 and injuring 3 other crew members. How exactly does a tugboat shiled a wave?? Its a speck in vast ocean!!

Now is Carnival doing everything in their power at this time. How do I know, and a better question how do you?? No one knows as yet what the issue is, AND they can only do so much in the way of inspection at sea anyway. How about if everyone waits and sees what the issue is, and what is actually being done instead of relying on maybes and tidbits of news coming out at this time before a judgment is made on who did or did not do what?

Brian

I am not trying to be sarcastic but I take it you no longer cruise? Lifeboats are the main emergency system for getting off the ship. Any ship.

This post makes no sense. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I said I just got off the ship, as in this past Saturday, so not sure how thats interpreted as no longer cruising.

And don't get what youre trying to say about lifeboats. Maybe re-read my post and see if you're even responding to the correct post.

I am sick and tired of people who have NO knowledge spouting their nonsense. Its sad and pathetic. Lifeboats are for looks and not use?/ Why can't they simply use them?? A lifeboat should not be able to fall?? A tugboat can reduce and or shield waves???

All of those questions are inherently ignorant!!! Lifeboats are just that LIFEboats. Any kind of transfer at seas has dangers involved. And not that it matters(and NO NO NO it did not involve Carnival), but a lifeboat fell from a ship in Europe just recently killing 5 and injuring 3 other crew members. How exactly does a tugboat shiled a wave?? Its a speck in vast ocean!!

Now is Carnival doing everything in their power at this time. How do I know, and a better question how do you?? No one knows as yet what the issue is, AND they can only do so much in the way of inspection at sea anyway. How about if everyone waits and sees what the issue is, and what is actually being done instead of relying on maybes and tidbits of news coming out at this time before a judgment is made on who did or did not do what?

Brian

Pot meet kettle.

I never suggested using a tugboat to shield waves.

I'm an avid boater and apparently understand much more of the process.

When tendering passengers, ships generally position themselves broadside to the waves, meaning that the waves hit one side. The ship shields the downwind side from waves. In a normal working ship, they can use thrusters to turn the ship and to prevent the ship from sliding downwind. Without thrusters, the same effect can be achieved using tugboats. Pulling the ship upwind reduces waves even more.

Bottom line is that its clear Carnival didn't do everything they could to prevent this nor to deal with the situation once it occurred. Financial considerations and convenience for Carnival have played into the equation.

If lifeboats are unsafe to use at sea then a better system needs to be devised. Unfortunately, seems that we haven't learned much since the Titanic. Only when a tragedy occurs is the industry forced to do something about it.

As an engineer, its common to spend lots of time thinking about fail safe systems and redundant systems. Multiple cables could be used on lifeboats to prevent the fall that occurred in Europe. Inspections should occur and regular testing is needed to make sure life saving systems are operational, functional and safe.

That is completely false. Many suits were settled and these "winners" of the suit settled for big money and signed a non-disclosure. You are completely wrong, and yes I factually know this but won't say more.

Without evidence, frankly I don't believe you.

Word! And can I just say for the record that I hate the term "challenging"? When did challenge become a synonym for horrible?

I think CCL hurt themselves with the term "challenging". It sounds like spin. Cahill did a better PR job last night when he described the conditions as "very poor". It helped give his statement a ring of sincerity.

Like this post. And people who say they will never sail ANY Carnival ship again. REALLY?

Brian

Archived