now i know why each cruise line is operated separatley

only1deejay

... Carnival has offered a generous compensation, and unless a passenger was injured or became ill as a result of the ordeal, I personally don't think a lawsuit is appropriate. I was sickened watching CNN's coverage last night as they interviewed disembarking passengers. Passengers were gracious and certainly glad to be off the ship, and spoke appreciatively of the crews' efforts in trying to make the best of the situation, while the two reporters interviewing them were desperately trying to make it a monumental catastrophe out of the whole situation. I turned the TV off when the reporter asked a family, "Are you going to sue?" . . .

Yes that's CNN, supposed to be a news network. Many of it's reports are unethical, biased, and deceitful. If it was a news network you would get the total picture. They seem to attract more negative thinkers. One question asked by the interviewer, of a traveller in relation to the compensation, was "but is that enough?" She could have asked the passenger what he or she felt of the compensation being offered. I do not watch CNN any longer due to it's biased reporting.

Yes that's CNN, supposed to be a news network. Many of it's reports are unethical, biased, and deceitful. If it was a news network you would get the total picture. They seem to attract more negative thinkers. One question asked by the interviewer, of a traveller in relation to the compensation, was "but is that enough?" She could have asked the passenger what he or she felt of the compensation being offered. I do not watch CNN any longer due to it's biased reporting.

I find that the 3 major cable news networks are biased one way or another but at least on CNN, I don't have to listen to the rants of Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, or Joe Scarborough.

After all that has transpired on the Carnival ship it might be less expensive to scrap it and build a new ship. I wouldn't want to travel on a ship that has had human excrement running down the hallways and walls no matter how much refurbishment it has.

I suppose the sh** really did hit the proverbial fan.:D

Well I saw a woman this morning on the News that had broken her leg because it was dark and she fell, I would think that she could sue, she was taken to the Hospital when they arrived for surgery - think of all the pain she was in and who knows who else got hurt, besides the discomfort.

She was not injuured when the lights went out initially, or she would have been evacuated when the woman who needed dialysis was evaculated.

The reason Carnival had all the passengers stay out on deck initially was because of the lack of lighting in the hallways and stairways.

I would also assume she received appropriate medical attention while on board after she was injured.

By the way, the first law suit was filed in Florida by a Texas woman less than 18 hours after the ship reached Mobile. Part of her claim was "loss of enjoyment of life."

She was not injuured when the lights went out initially, or she would have been evacuated when the woman who needed dialysis was evaculated.

The reason Carnival had all the passengers stay out on deck initially was because of the lack of lighting in the hallways and stairways.

I would also assume she received appropriate medical attention while on board after she was injured.

By the way, the first law suit was filed in Florida by a Texas woman less than 18 hours after the ship reached Mobile. Part of her claim was "loss of enjoyment of life."

Based on that criteria my DW could sue me just about every week!! :D :D

Well I saw a woman this morning on the News that had broken her leg because it was dark and she fell, I would think that she could sue, she was taken to the Hospital when they arrived for surgery - think of all the pain she was in and who knows who else got hurt, besides the discomfort. The $500 is nt going to catch it, loss of wages, etc etc.....

Slip and fall accidents happen all the time on ALL cruiselines. :rolleyes:

WI believe that they [Carnival] are restricting the cruise lines they own from spending too much on maintenance, and break downs are the result. Probably so as to pay the law suits taken out, or the costs incurred with the Costa wreck.

I think it's naive for people to believe that *any* cruise line is skimping on paying to do maintenance. These ships run between about 600 million and a billion dollars. You don't not do proper maintenance on assets like that. (And quite frankly, if they were skimping on maintenance, I think you'd *really* be seeing problems cropping up.

People point at ships that might have a couple of cruises with problems as saying that they're not doing the maintenance. Well guess what, you don't exactly run down to the corner store to pick up the part needed to fix it. Sometimes it takes waiting for that part to be *made*.

Ships run 24 hours a day for years with no break. In the grand scheme of things, they're incredibly reliable considering they operate in what is quite frankly extremely harsh conditions.

Ultimately, there's a very good reason why the cruise lines aren't going to skip the maintenance. Because when something like this happens, it's not exactly the type of publicity they want. I think most guesses on the economic impact for this event are between 40 and 100 million dollars. If you make a decision not to do scheduled maintenance and it ends up costing your company that type of money, you're probably going to find it tough to keep your job.

I ran across an interesting site yesterday, http://www.shipwrecklog.com. When you look through that, you realize that there's a lot more ship problems out there (generally amongst cargo ships) than people realize. By comparison, cruise ships are pretty reliable.

With a few exceptions, Carnival owns the cruise line trade.

Be they Princess, P & O, Cunard, Holland-America, they are owned by Carnival.

So I'd suggest that the CEO of these companies does what the CEO of Carnival says, otherwise he/she/it would get the bullet. Isn't that the way business works?

I believe that they [Carnival] are restricting the cruise lines they own from spending too much on maintenance, and break downs are the result. Probably so as to pay the law suits taken out, or the costs incurred with the Costa wreck.

On the Dawn princess on it's world voyage in 2010, we had a serious mechanical malfunction - stated to be a computer breaking down :rolleyes: - in the Gulf of Aden that reduced the ships' speed considerably & we missed a port [sufaga], only to gain an overnight stay in Port Said, so some tekko's could fly in and repair the problem. The second 'malfunction' occurred in the Carribbean off Curaceo.

Shouldn't happen. Ships are like motor vehicles, if you don't service them, they break down.

Carnival is big, but they hardly "own" the cruise trade.

Certainly, the CEO of each operating line of Carnival Corp takes directions from the CEO of the parent corp. That fact is neither here nor there.

You can believe whatever you want, but accusations need to be supported by evidence if they are to have any weight.

Malfunctions and breakdowns do happen, not only because of poor maintenance but because no system invented by humans has yet proven to be perfect. You could overdo maintenance at great cost by replacing components that are not yet beyond their expected serviceable lifetime to decrease (but not eliminate) the probability of failure but that would be financially foolish. Such over-engineering is saved for things like space missions and nuclear reactors.

Archived