now i know why each cruise line is operated separatley

only1deejay

Carnival Corp. was smart to have each "line" operate separate, kind of like how MGM Resorts and Caesars do it....they own alot of hotels....but each one is it's own entity....so in this case with carnival recently...everyone can sue carnival cruises and not have an impact on princess or any other "sister" line.

Carnival Corp. was smart to have each "line" operate separate, kind of like how MGM Resorts and Caesars do it....they own alot of hotels....but each one is it's own entity....so in this case with carnival recently...everyone can sue carnival cruises and not have an impact on princess or any other "sister" line.

Sue them for what?

Trust me attorney's will file any type of action against Carnival corp., if they think they can win....and carnival will settle out of court and make it go away....negligence due to the fact that they were aware of previous issues with the ship that had engine room fire...but were probably too cheap to fix it right the first time and put a band aid on it...they knew to really fix the issue it was gonna cost money and down time....something they hate in the cruise bizness....downtime means no profits....trust me...attorney's are already thinking of ways to cash in on this one.:)

negligence due to the fact that they were aware of previous issues with the ship that had engine room fire...but were probably too cheap to fix it right the first time and put a band aid on it...they knew to really fix the issue it was gonna cost money and down time...

Carnival obviously has a problem with their engines... remember the Splendor? That just happened in November 2010... same thing, engine fire on the Pacific Coast... they had to tow the ship to San Diego. it took three days, almost a mirror image of what just happened

you can sue and as long as it stays out of court....no trial.....carnival does not want any more bad press or lawyers at there doorstep....carnival will pay these attorney's off and there clients to make it go away....trust me someone on that ship is gonna hit pay dirt.

With a few exceptions, Carnival owns the cruise line trade.

Be they Princess, P & O, Cunard, Holland-America, they are owned by Carnival.

So I'd suggest that the CEO of these companies does what the CEO of Carnival says, otherwise he/she/it would get the bullet. Isn't that the way business works?

I believe that they [Carnival] are restricting the cruise lines they own from spending too much on maintenance, and break downs are the result. Probably so as to pay the law suits taken out, or the costs incurred with the Costa wreck.

On the Dawn princess on it's world voyage in 2010, we had a serious mechanical malfunction - stated to be a computer breaking down :rolleyes: - in the Gulf of Aden that reduced the ships' speed considerably & we missed a port [sufaga], only to gain an overnight stay in Port Said, so some tekko's could fly in and repair the problem. The second 'malfunction' occurred in the Carribbean off Curaceo.

Shouldn't happen. Ships are like motor vehicles, if you don't service them, they break down.

After an event in a nearby chemical plant, lawyers went to court to prevent the company from fixing the damage in order to "preserve the evidence" until all the lawyers' experts could examine the damage.

I would not be surprised to see a lawyer try to prevent Carnival from repairing the damage until lawyer's experts could inspect the ship.

After all that has transpired on the Carnival ship it might be less expensive to scrap it and build a new ship. I wouldn't want to travel on a ship that has had human excrement running down the hallways and walls no matter how much refurbishment it has.

It is people like you who think this way that our world is like it is. What are you going to sue for a accident happened no one was hurt or injured Carnival compensated these people what else do you want. This accident could have happened on any cruise line just be glad that people are safe and no one was injued. People like you who think that way disgust me.

Carnival obviously has a problem with their engines... remember the Splendor? That just happened in November 2010... same thing, engine fire on the Pacific Coast... they had to tow the ship to San Diego. it took three days, almost a mirror image of what just happened

Also the Sensation in Nov 1996 had an engine problem and broke down... I was onboard, alone, first cruise. Set adrift for hours. Sewage back up in some cabins (not mine), etc etc... Apparently it was their first cruise after being in drydock.

I seem to recall another ship had a large fire in the laundry facilities and I *think* it was a Carnvial ship. Years ago... :confused:

It is people like you who think this way that our world is like it is. What are you going to sue for a accident happened no one was hurt or injured Carnival compensated these people what else do you want. This accident could have happened on any cruise line just be glad that people are safe and no one was injued. People like you who think that way disgust me.

Couldn't agree more! Accidents happen. Kudos to the crew who helped to make the best of a very difficult situation.

Sue them for what?

Well I saw a woman this morning on the News that had broken her leg because it was dark and she fell, I would think that she could sue, she was taken to the Hospital when they arrived for surgery - think of all the pain she was in and who knows who else got hurt, besides the discomfort. The $500 is nt going to catch it, loss of wages, etc etc.....

Don't forget the Triumph is not a flagged US vessel. It falls under the jursidiction of the country it is flagged under.

That's not completely true. Being flagged in a foreign country allows them to avoid many of the regulations of the United States, but simply because Carnival does business in the US means they meet jurisdictional requirements. Also, Carnival headquarters are in Miami, so if attorneys believe that Carnival sold cruises to people in the US knowing that the ship in question was faulty, they can file suit in the state of Florida against Carnival.

Now, I admittedly have not been following this story completely and it would seem unlikely that this engine room fire was caused by past propulsion problems that the Triumph reportedly had, but despite that I'd be shocked if people didn't file a class action lawsuit against Carnival (considering our litigious nature), and Carnival will most likely settle because they won't want the press that will come along with a drawn out lawsuit. Carnival will try to sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible, and from a business-perspective who can blame them?

Couldn't agree more! Accidents happen. Kudos to the crew who helped to make the best of a very difficult situation.

Well there were some people injured - we just have not heard all of it yet - I know of one passenger that broke her leg, so you think that is not painful having to wait for 2 days to get to the Hospital, her friends took care of her since she could not walk. Don't make the assumption that no one as hurt, because there were people that got hurt.

And also someone that was on the ship told me that before they told them the bad news they gave out free Alcohol and then let them know that they were stuck.

Great point, BeachGirl. It appears that the crew in this case handled a very difficult situation as well as could be expected. Kudos to them!

Well there were some people injured - we just have not heard all of it yet - I know of one passenger that broke her leg, so you think that is not painful having to wait for 2 days to get to the Hospital, her friends took care of her since she could not walk. Don't make the assumption that no one as hurt, because there were people that got hurt.

And also someone that was on the ship told me that before they told them the bad news they gave out free Alcohol and then let them know that they were stuck.

I made no such assumption that no one was hurt; I simply said that accidents happen (meaning the original accident that caused the ship to be disabled in the first place). Were the conditions onboard ship pleasant? Absolutely not. Did the cruise live up to the passengers' expectations? Again, no. No one expects their much-anticipated vacation to end like this. However, it was an accident and the crew worked overtime to help make the situation more tolerable. Carnival has offered a generous compensation, and unless a passenger was injured or became ill as a result of the ordeal, I personally don't think a lawsuit is appropriate. I was sickened watching CNN's coverage last night as they interviewed disembarking passengers. Passengers were gracious and certainly glad to be off the ship, and spoke appreciatively of the crews' efforts in trying to make the best of the situation, while the two reporters interviewing them were desperately trying to make it a monumental catastrophe out of the whole situation. I turned the TV off when the reporter asked a family, "Are you going to sue?" . . .

With a few exceptions, Carnival owns the cruise line trade.

Be they Princess, P & O, Cunard, Holland-America, they are owned by Carnival.

So I'd suggest that the CEO of these companies does what the CEO of Carnival says, otherwise he/she/it would get the bullet. Isn't that the way business works?

OK, you still don't quite get it. There is a difference between Carnival Corp that owns Princess, Holland America, Cunard, P&O and Carnival Cruise lines And

Carnival Cruise lines, which is a company owned by Carnival Corp.

Carnival Cruise lines does not control anyone else but Carnival Cruise Lines (and from the way things look, it does a poor job of that).

So when you say "I'd suggest that the CEO of these companies does what the CEO of Carnival says, otherwise he/she/it would get the bullet." You are not talking about the CEO of Carnival Cruise lines.

That said, it makes no sense for Carnival Corporation to make it a company policy not to perform maintenance as it is clear what happens when one ignores it.

I do believe the CEO of Carnival Cruise lines is in for it through. He has not had a good track record and should be replaced.

I made no such assumption that no one was hurt; I simply said that accidents happen (meaning the original accident that caused the ship to be disabled in the first place). Were the conditions onboard ship pleasant? Absolutely not. Did the cruise live up to the passengers' expectations? Again, no. No one expects their much-anticipated vacation to end like this. However, it was an accident and the crew worked overtime to help make the situation more tolerable. Carnival has offered a generous compensation, and unless a passenger was injured or became ill as a result of the ordeal, I personally don't think a lawsuit is appropriate. I was sickened watching CNN's coverage last night as they interviewed disembarking passengers. Passengers were gracious and certainly glad to be off the ship, and spoke appreciatively of the crews' efforts in trying to make the best of the situation, while the two reporters interviewing them were desperately trying to make it a monumental catastrophe out of the whole situation. I turned the TV off when the reporter asked a family, "Are you going to sue?" . . .

Exactly, there is a big difference contract law and torts. Never mind that the ship is covered by maritime laws that specifically limit their exposure to lawsuits.....

In the case of the Triumph there is very little a passenger could sue Carnival Cruise line for (according to CNN legal dept, scrutinizing 12 page passenger contract). They are even reported have a clause stating that mental anguish will not be considered. But I am sure that some will attempt a suit and that there are lawyers waiting in the wings to take it on. There was a small dip in CLL stock but as of right now it is recovering. Carnival cruise lines is getting some positive press about this in that everyone praised the gallant job done by the crew, especially room stewards and dining crew.

What I questioned to myself, does Princess regret their move about 10 yrs ago to associate themselves with Carnival Corporation, the umbrella company? Especially since they had the opportunity to go under the Royal Caribbean umbrella. Having watched this whole fiasco unfold on CNN all week, I only heard Princess Cruises mentioned once.

Archived