Tell me about ice skating, please?

B_Mc

Have you done ice skating on RCL ships?

Is there a fee for renting skates? What about helmets?

Anything else I should know?

No fees, they will provide skates, helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads. Free skating is limited because the ice rink is being used for rehersals often. Look in the Cruise Compass (daily schedule) for open skating times.

Keep an eye on the cruise compass for ice skating. There will be several sessions throughout the day and throughout the cruise.

At your desired time, head over to the skating rink/studio b, and you will have to sign a waiver form to skate. Then you can go down to the rink and get your skates and helmet. Each session lasts approx 30mins.

There is a limit on the number of skaters per session so it is first come first serve. There is absolutely no charge to skate.

Its wonderful for beginners like my kids. People who can really skate get frustated with all the wobblers and fallers. They are very strict about no holding things in your hands like cameras or drinks.

You have to have long pants and socks to skate. Capris do not count fyi.

Do use the helmets and pads supplied! a couple of years ago, I saw a man take a sickening blow to the head after falling. Despite that though, it was tremendous fun and a bonus of ice skating on board ship is that you move without trying when the ship rolls.

I'd certainly recommend it for beginners but only with all the safety gear.

Some ships have advanced skating times for people who take their own skates. The reasoning is that if you bring your own skates you can probably skate at a reasonable level. I always take my skates and I enjoy the advanced skates as there are very few people who bring their own skates. You do have to wear a brain bucket and the ship provides that.

If you choose not to bring your own skates there will be lots of novice skaters on the rink, especially after a skating show. You will need to keep your head on a swivel as they come at you from all angles. I usually do not attend the open skate times that occur after an ice show.

They are very strict about no holding things in your hands like cameras or drinks.

If there is a policy against this I am unaware. I skated with my camera recording on video mode for several laps. Took a number of other pictures too. No one said a word.

To the OP, the rink is small, and even smaller when you get out on the ice. I'm amazed that the performers have enough room to make their jumps!

Helmets are REQUIRED? Or just optional?

I live in Minnesota where ice skating opportunities are abundant. Nobody wears a helmet for skating except for hockey.

But then, we run the risk of slipping on ice and hitting our heads just walking to the car. So maybe we're just used to liabilities. :)

Helmets are REQUIRED? Or just optional?

I live in Minnesota where ice skating opportunities are abundant. Nobody wears a helmet for skating except for hockey.

But then, we run the risk of slipping on ice and hitting our heads just walking to the car. So maybe we're just used to liabilities. :)

Required.

The helmets are required. There is no cost. The rink is very small and during the time I skated it had a pretty rough surface.

I used to skate very well and owned my own skates. It has been a few years since I skated--but, I found I could not skate very well. I am not sure if it was the ocean motion or if I am losing balance. [i have no issues with anything else.] So I only stayed about 10 minutes and then decided skating on the ship was not for me.

The people that monitor the rink and hand out skates are the performers. When I was there the male lead skater was talking with all of the kids. He was very nice to them.

Here is a pic from the Explorer

IMG_5920_zps432644fc.jpg

Archived