New to Princess: cabin, teen questions

tech40

I'm looking to book a cruise over the Christmas Vacation on Crown Princess. My husband and 16 year old daughter will be with me.

I'm unsure of how to tell which cabins would have a fold down bed vs a cot rolled into the room. I'm guessing that the fold down bed would be more comfortable than a cot and makes moving around the cabin during the day easier.

I would appreciate if anyone has experience cruising with a teen on Princess to let me know their experiences.

I have narrowed my cruise choice to Princess Crown and Celebrity Reflection. I would like to hear comparisons to those two ships. We have only cruised 2 other times on Disney Magic and Royal Caribbean Navigator.

Thanks

Roberta

On the Crown Princess, the third berth will be a fold down bed unless you get a mini-suite or above. The mini-suite has a sofabed. In either case, the room steward folds the 3rd bed up during the day so that it isn't in the way.

I haven't been on the Reflection, but have been on the Equinox. I'm pretty sure that the 3rd bed on the Reflection will be a sofabed. I think they're sort of like a trundle. Here's a picture: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32688895&postcount=15

I'm pretty sure that the 3rd bed on the Reflection will be a sofabed. I think they're sort of like a trundle. Here's a picture: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32688895&postcount=15

It is a sofa bed and it is quite hard-not what I would consider comfortable. Kids can adapt but the sofabed on Celebrity is terrible. They're not really that comfortable to sit on, for that matter. Very stiff.

The rooms that sleep 4 have the fold-down upper berth and those are quite comfortable, with a normal mattress. You can just have the berth down all the time. It does make it inconvenient to get to the balcony but it can be done.

Cruisin' Chick,

I just wondering how your daughter enjoyed the programs. She's wondering if there are organized games like volleyball or basketball. Any Princess review I read never seems to have any kids along & I never notice any in people's pictures. I did go to your link of your most recent cruise but all the pictures are gone.

I know the question regarding the teens program wasn't directed to me but here's what I can tell you from what I know:

Unfortunately, there's no volleyball net and I'm not sure if there's a basketball court but that's something you could check by looking at the deck plans of the Crown. There is a table tennis table if she's into that. The teen program, Remix, will have organized games and activities for the teens. This includes: scavenger hunts, hot tub party, movie nights, karaoke, boys vs girls game nights, teen dances and maybe even a teen dinner in Horizons & the dining room. Some sports-related activity I saw organized for the Remix program was a game of dodgeball and a table tennis tournament but there could always be more on your cruise. All the list of activities will be listed in the Remix Patter, which should be delivered to your stateroom when you embark. You'll have to register your teen but she's not obligated to go if she's not interested in a certain activity. The Remix room on the Crown has an air hockey table & a fooseball table. I always suggest registering your teen & having her go the first night. That way she'll get to know some of the other teens & get a feel for how the staff run the program. Hope this helps!

I always suggest registering your teen & having her go the first night. That way she'll get to know some of the other teens & get a feel for how the staff run the program. Hope this helps!

Many teens will skip many of the planned kids' club activities, but will do age approriate activities on the ship with the new friends that they met on that first night.

My kids never cared for the teen activities on cruise ships. DS went to the first night activity on one cruise and came back saying "its the same on every single cruise ship" and how they spent the first two hours, yet again, going over the rules, and how the rules are the same everywhere. My kids have about 20 cruises on various cruise lines, and while they liked kid activities, the teen stuff just is not their thing.

Most teen activities begin in the evening too. Since we're off the ship all day (starting very early) my kids usually just hung around with us, had dinner and watched a bit of the show, and then went to bed. Son is not 18 and can no longer participate, so its up to daughter if she is going to go in there. I may make her just so she might find a friend for the week as there are several sea days on the CB next month.

They would often find a friend at the pool area, library or DS would find someone on the sports deck. Princess is not known for having lots of kids so it might be worth it for her to go to the teen center the first night to meet a friend. My first Princess cruise had just 112 kids and only 56 teens out of 3K passengers. Not exactly the Disney Cruise!

Our DD always enjoys Remix. We register her the first night, and she finds it best to attend the first nights activities. This is when she meets other teens. During the cruise, they end up hanging out at remix, in the lido, or the hot tub right outside the teen area or going to one of the shows. They don't really do the "activities", but use the area to meet other teens and have a place to hang out and.

Archived