First solo a tad bit nerves about dinner

cruisin' 4 fun

I got back from a Trans Atlantic on the weekend, and had a good fixed-dining experience. Essentially, I didn't at all like the table I was originally assigned to, and was looking to change it when I met a woman traveling with her parents who had an empty seat at their table. I got the Maitre D' to switch me, and I ended up with 7 wonderful table-mates. If I hadn't met this woman, I still would have asked to change, but it was fortunate that the timing worked out well and the mix of people were right.

Just off Legend before she went to Europe. I'm going to start doing Your Time dining--the people at my table were just horribly boring! There was a mother and her 17 y/o daughter who had dietary restrictions and ate like a bunny rabbit, nibbling her food. A lady with a thick southern accent who talked about all the guys she was meeting, a lady who was in the Legends show as Glorida Estefan and was the worst of all the performers. We had all been cheering her on but...Could barely hear her and when you could, you didn't want to.

We really had little in common. The mom and the southern lady were teachers and talked for 40 minutes about elementary school kids names. It would bring you to tears.

I'm wondering what other solos who have done Your Time think of it.

Many times folks on the roll call are quite friendly and if I am doing

Select dining (Celebrity's term for it) I see if other people want to

dine together. I have always enjoyed my own company but I much

prefer eating with others for dinner.

Sorry you had incompatible tablemates. When I do traditional dining, if

I am not happy, I go see the Maitr'd and ask them to move me.

No one likes dining alone and no married woman like getting put at a table for 8 with no shows or with every other single on board looking for a love connection. BTDT. But then I started traveling solo for work. And I ate many a meal alone in the hotel restaurant simply because it was way cheaper than room service. And after getting used to eating alone at the hotel, I began to venture our to unique restaurants at my travel destination. Now, I have no qualms about eating out alone, even when at home.

I order what I want, oblivious to the cost, I take as long as I want to eat and I enjoy every morsel without thought of keeping up my end of the conversation. Its liberating. And if I want to focus on the culinary delights in front of me or get lost in the latest Dan Brown novel, I can. Its all under my control and I like that. Not all the time, but I like it.

You will meet other cc'ers and make friends with other singles and couples, too. And its all up to you. Isn't that wonderful?!

with every other single on board looking for a love connection.

Wow......that must really vary with the cruise line and the voyage location. I didn't meet any other single passengers looking for a "love connection", and there were many solo passengers who were involved, but traveling alone.

Many times folks on the roll call are quite friendly and if I am doing

Select dining (Celebrity's term for it) I see if other people want to

dine together. I have always enjoyed my own company but I much

prefer eating with others for dinner.

Sorry you had incompatible tablemates. When I do traditional dining, if

I am not happy, I go see the Maitr'd and ask them to move me.

I have asked to change in the past and was seated with some great folks who had traveled the world. Shouls I do fixed or anytime? Unsure at this point.

I have asked to change in the past and was seated with some great folks who had traveled the world. Shouls I do fixed or anytime? Unsure at this point.

Since you are asking my opinion?....I would choose traditional.

My last 3 cruises have varied. Back in November I sailed on Summit

and did traditional dining. We had a fun table with people from the

roll call.:D

In December I went on a 3 night cruise and had 3 different dining

venues;)

I just returned from a cruise last Sunday and booked a cabin in AQUA

CLASS which has a different dining room from the main one.

It is "anytime" dining in "Blu" (the AQ dining room) and I went there

with others on the roll call as many of us booked AQ. We had a nice

group. I went to 2 specialty restaurants out of 7 nights...both times

we had a group from the roll call going together.

Next time I dine in the "regular dining room" I will be doing traditional

dining again.

I just looked on our roll call and I don't see you on there and there hasn't been a meet and greet set up yet. Are there two roll calls going? I looked and couldn't find another one. Maybe different date or ship?? I'm on the Enchanment on RCCL on Sept 23rd. Thanks!

I'll most likely be on your sailing on Enchantment of the Seas too and doing a "Live" trip report. I usually do the My Time dining as I've found it easier. You'll be more than welcome to have dinner with me. :)

This past cruise I was on I was not asked if I wanted to sit with others which I thought was odd, each night I had a table to myself. However since the tables are so close I always at one point or another had a couple or two on each side of me which led to some great conversations. I found I actually liked this a bit better as I was sitting with others but not really totally sitting with others.

Don't sweat it, once you go to the dining room that one time, the rest of it is no problem. No one looks at you funny and the wait staff are the most friendly. They sat me with the same wait staff without me asking too, which was nice, it seems they try to automatically do that now.

I'll most likely be on your sailing on Enchantment of the Seas too and doing a "Live" trip report. I usually do the My Time dining as I've found it easier. You'll be more than welcome to have dinner with me. :)

This past cruise I was on I was not asked if I wanted to sit with others which I thought was odd, each night I had a table to myself. However since the tables are so close I always at one point or another had a couple or two on each side of me which led to some great conversations. I found I actually liked this a bit better as I was sitting with others but not really totally sitting with others.

Don't sweat it, once you go to the dining room that one time, the rest of it is no problem. No one looks at you funny and the wait staff are the most friendly. They sat me with the same wait staff without me asking too, which was nice, it seems they try to automatically do that now.

Mr Fun that sounds good, let me know if yu for sure book and we'll talk some more. Thanks for the invite.

I was curious with my time dining were you able to make reservations for just one at a table for two?

tmee

Mr Fun that sounds good' date=' let me know if yu for sure book and we'll talk some more. Thanks for the invite.[/quote']

Will do Cruisin. Not sure when I'm going to officially book. I'm watching the pricing for both the Sept 20th and 23rd cruise to hopefully make them B2B.

I was curious with my time dining were you able to make reservations for just one at a table for two?

tmee

I believe you can make reservations for one, however from my experience recently on the Jewel of the Seas they were not needed. On my 5 night cruise I ate in the dining room every night except for one and I was seated right away. My times varied from eating not long after 6pm to one time after 8pm. I was always seated right away and the my time dining room was never "Full". I also was given the same wait staff each night which was nice, I didn't have to request. They really took the time to try to know myself and others. Others I sat near that I asked if they had the same staff each night stated they did.

Archived