Windstar pre and post Anschutz/Xanterra acquisition

HPNPilot

I am wondering if any folks on here have been on Windstar before the 2011 acquisition (say , when it was managed by HAL) and afterwards and can comment on changes (for better or worse).

It's been awhile since we sailed on Windstar, and while we liked the experience before, we are wondering if it will be the same now.

We have been sailing with Windstar since 1999, great then and great now. We have had some of the great staff since then as well. If you loved it then you will

love it now. Have a great cruise. Susanne

I'll second that. First cruised on Windstar in 1994, we did our third Windstar cruise last year. All have been fantastic! We are very excited about the return to Tahiti and the new ships.

I am wondering if any folks on here have been on Windstar before the 2011 acquisition (say , when it was managed by HAL) and afterwards and can comment on changes (for better or worse).

It's been awhile since we sailed on Windstar, and while we liked the experience before, we are wondering if it will be the same now.

Just got off the Wind Surf last Saturday. The new Captain, Peter Harris in the past was a HAL Captain and pointed out that as good as it was HAL never put any money into Windstar so the boats definitely needed work. Even with the renovation, the quality of some of the carpeting is questionable, as one of the rooms our companions were in had carpeting that was already a bit worn. But, we liked the renovations, and the food and service are as good or better. We now know quite a few of the crew as almost all the crew we knew from previous cruises did remember us.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks -

I've revived this old thread in light of a recent review (in the official review section) by Calistoga Grower. I found the comments therein, particularly regarding the quality of the food, a bit disturbing. I've long been considering a Windstar cruise and would appreciate some opinions regarding any changes (especially about food quality) under the new(ish) ownership.

Thanks in advance!

Well, my experience has been the opposite. Our very first cruise with Windstar was aboard the Wind Spirit (Caribbean) in 2011. On Friday of our cruise, the announcement was made of the Xanterra purchase. On that cruise we found the food to be acceptable, not great. The Wind Spirit looked a "little tired" in general, but obviously nothing to prevent us from sailing on her in the future.

On our second cruise in 2012 on Wind Spirit (first under Xanterra) we felt there was definite improvement with the food - it seemed fresher and more innovative. Of course, by then the refurbishment of the ship had taken place - so everything looked fresh and clean. Also, Hans Birkholtz was on this sailing and we observed him critiquing everything - food, excursions, etc. It was very interesting seeing the CEO of the company wander around taking notes and talking to passengers and getting their opinions. I was impressed with his hands-on approach.

On our third, fourth and fifth cruises, we have continued to see changes and improvements. Is every single entree for every single meal a hit? Not necessarily, but you will encounter this even at the finest restaurants. On our last cruise, Tom ordered a fish entree that he felt was one of the best he's experienced whether on land or sea! A tablemate also ordered it and loved it - so it wasn't just Tom's opinion. It doesn't look like much in the photo:

ry%3D400

Reviews are personal opinions based on a snapshot in time for that particular sailing. Had I been on Calistoga Grower's cruise I might have the same opinion or I might not. However, my personal experience has been quite the opposite of that particular review.

While anyone can have a bad experience on a particular voyage, I cannot agree with the criticism leveled by the reviewer. Our friends Linda and Rick were on the same Panama Canal/Costa Rica voyage and told us they had a marvelous time. And we've taken two cruises with Windstar since their acquisition by Xanterra, and both were exceptional.

So my advice would be to take that particular review with a grain of salt, and look at the overall trend for a more balanced perspective.