Transatlantic cruises 2013/14 - pricing differences between S-Class ships

XFans

Hi All

Being new in the forum, I'd like to introduce myself. My wife and I are from Switzerland and did our first cruise together last year, an eastbound transatlantic cruise on the beautiful Equinox. It was our honeymoon so we wanted something special and stayed in a Royal Suite (1607).

I did five cruises before, all in Europe, mostly with Costa Cruises, so the cruise with X was quite a change! We really enjoyed all of it, the fantastic ship, all the sea days and the crew on X really was wonderful - but I don't have to explain that to you guys, you already know that! :D

As I've successfully infected my wife now with the cruising-virus ;) we're already planning to do another eastbound cruise next spring, if possible again in a royal suite or a celebrity suite.

Currently I'm looking over the prices for the transatlantic cruises in april 2013. And that's where the confusion starts... I've found some major differences in pricing between the Equinox, Silhouette and the Reflection on the comparable itineraries.

As example, prices in US $ according to celebritycruises.com:

- transatlantic with Equinox, 15 nights, RS ~ 7800.--, CS 7500.--

- transatlantic with Silhouette, 15 nights, RS ~ 8200.--, CS ~ 7800.--

- transatlantic with Reflection, 16 nights, RS ~ 14500.-- , CS ~ 9500.-- :eek:

I can accept, that there may be a difference on what ship that you cruise, i.e. the newer ships are more expensive, but still, there's a difference for almost 7k between the Equinox and the Reflection (I know there's one night more on the cruise with the Reflection).

As comparison, I know that we payed last year around $ 13500.-- for our RS for 15 nights.

Can anyone explain these pricing differences to me? These cruises are starting in 2 month, could it be possible that these prices are some special last-minute kind of deal of celebrity so that all staterooms are occupied?

I'm usually a person that books way ahead, so I was thinking of booking our next cruise as soon as possible when the itinerary comes out (which will be next month). But seeing these prices I'm wondering what is the best possible time to book your cruise?

Thank you for your help! :cool:

Xfan

Hi All

Being new in the forum, I'd like to introduce myself. My wife and I are from Switzerland and did our first cruise together last year, an eastbound transatlantic cruise on the beautiful Equinox. It was our honeymoon so we wanted something special and stayed in a Royal Suite (1607).

I did five cruises before, all in Europe, mostly with Costa Cruises, so the cruise with X was quite a change! We really enjoyed all of it, the fantastic ship, all the sea days and the crew on X really was wonderful - but I don't have to explain that to you guys, you already know that! :D

As I've successfully infected my wife now with the cruising-virus ;) we're already planning to do another eastbound cruise next spring, if possible again in a royal suite or a celebrity suite.

Currently I'm looking over the prices for the transatlantic cruises in april 2013. And that's where the confusion starts... I've found some major differences in pricing between the Equinox, Silhouette and the Reflection on the comparable itineraries.

As example, prices in US $ according to celebritycruises.com:

- transatlantic with Equinox, 15 nights, RS ~ 7800.--, CS 7500.--

- transatlantic with Silhouette, 15 nights, RS ~ 8200.--, CS ~ 7800.--

- transatlantic with Reflection, 16 nights, RS ~ 14500.-- , CS ~ 9500.-- :eek:

I can accept, that there may be a difference on what ship that you cruise, i.e. the newer ships are more expensive, but still, there's a difference for almost 7k between the Equinox and the Reflection (I know there's one night more on the cruise with the Reflection).

As comparison, I know that we payed last year around $ 13500.-- for our RS for 15 nights.

Can anyone explain these pricing differences to me? These cruises are starting in 2 month, could it be possible that these prices are some special last-minute kind of deal of celebrity so that all staterooms are occupied?

I'm usually a person that books way ahead, so I was thinking of booking our next cruise as soon as possible when the itinerary comes out (which will be next month). But seeing these prices I'm wondering what is the best possible time to book your cruise?

Thank you for your help! :cool:

Xfan

Only my opinion, but Reflection being the newest ship will always be higher priced than the others. Are the suites you are looking at like for like on the different ships, if so Silhouette seems the best compromise between "newness" and price.

As for timing, again my opinion, either asap after itineraries are released or last couple of months (but pot luck as to cabin availablity).

It can also be a case of how many cabins in a particular category are left in the inventory. If there are a few left then they may drop the price to attract bookings. Only one or two and maybe not. Based on those prices and itineraries I'd go for Equinox. It doesn't take you so far into Europe as Reflection, but at least doesn't have the Caribbean ports at the start like Silhouette and a lot cheaper for those cabin categories.

Besides that, if you figure out celebrity pricing , you get a medal :D

LOL and then of course this is very true!

Phil

Thank you all for your answers. :)

So, basically I've no other choice than to follow the (intransparent) pricings from the celebritycruises-website and decide wheter to book as soon as possible or to "gamble" and wait with the booking and to risk not getting the stateroom that I'd like.

Concerning the itineraries in 2014, I heard a rumor that the Equionx is going into dry-dock in spring 2014, after the transatlantic. Anyone heard that too?

Yikes:eek:

I have to wonder if some of the price increases for the TA's isn't linked to the recent 1--2-3 Go promotion. I know that our fall TA sold a tremendos amount of cabins in that promotion and some of the categories are sold out. Prices for our cabin raised significantly and we opted not to bother with the package as we would have had to pay $300 more and lose OBC.

Hopefully you have contacted Captain's Club and have your number. When new itineraries come out soon for 2014, there is usually a Captain's Club sale which might interest you.

Would like to know about Equinox and dry dock too.............

Good luck!

As alluded in an earlier post, some of the difference may be attributed to the number of ports visited. There are port charges for each port the ship calls on. When there are fewer ports, or locations with lower port charges, the total cost of the cruise is less in comparison to another cruise that has the same number of days, but more ports along the way.

Hopefully you have contacted Captain's Club and have your number. When new itineraries come out soon for 2014, there is usually a Captain's Club sale which might interest you.

Oh really? :eek: I wasn't aware of that! Do I have to register somewhere or will I automatically be notified for this Captain's Club sale by the newsletter?

Archived