Cheap cruise in the Caribbean/Mexico for a week?

eboon

My Hubby and I would like to go on a cheaper/decent cruise for a week either in the Carribean or Mexico. We are mid 30's and are quite active and like to do alot of stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks!

erica :)

I'm thinking in the area of $3000-$3500 or cheaper if possible. No clue how much cruises are. Or what type of packages we can get.

i got my cruise for around that price (with airfare and 1 night pre-hotel included)...i got it on the royal caribbean website if that helps :)

Find a good travel agent who specializes in cruises and go from there. Or even check a big travel website (Orbitz, Travelocity, etc) to get an idea what you're looking at. For $3,000 you should be able to get a VERY nice 7 day cruise for the two of you.

How about cruising with us during Valentines day week. We leave Fort Lauderdale, February 12 and come back on the 18th- SUnday through Saturday- If youclick on the the date-- under my post it will give you pricing,

Inside (Cat. 4A): $ 549 pp

Oceanview (Cat. 6A): $ 649 pp

Balcony (Cat. 8A): $ 749 pp

Mini-Suite (Cat. 11): $ 1209 pp

Penthouse Suite (Cat. 12): $ 1719 pp

wow 3000- that willbuy you a super cruise. I have never paid over 2,000 for the two of us for any of our cruise and that will include the price for the whole entire cruise-- air fare/hotel gambling excursions etc etc

Check and see if the company either one of you works for does business with any of the cruise lines. As a corperate affliate you can get great discounts. The best price are usually during the winter months.Another trick I've heard of, though this may only apply to those who are retired or have alot of time to do this, is to have your bags packed and show up at the port on the day of departure. Ships, like Airlines, hate to depart with an empty cabin and if one is available, great deals can be had. A cruiseline can't make any money on an empty cabin. My boss, a millionaire, even doe's this at hotels and motels, kowing that discounting a room is better than letting it go empty.

Eboon: checkout the group cruise boards.. lots of cruises for a cheaper then what the agents are allowing. some even offer cabin credit.

Not on mine though but my cruise is the cheapest per day then the rest of those...lol

Some even have a low down payment..of 25.00 But when you book a cruise most want 250.00pp down for a 7 day cruise..

You can cruise most 7 day caribbean's very cost efficiently. With planning you can always get a great fare as long as you can be flexible with your dates and resonable with your expectation. If you want to cruise peak season or on a holiday be prepared to pay a premium. Sailing off season you'll be able to grab a wonderful cabin for half of what it would cost you over the summer.

There are specials all the time, plus some travel agencies belong to consolidator's who also offer excellent pricing on select cruises throughout the year.

Watch your air fare. Check what major hubs you can economically fly into and how close you can get to a pier.

But most of all, be sure to find the cruise that has what your interested in. Nothing is a bargain if you're not having a good time! Check the onboard activities, the median age of the travelors, the islands and excursions.

The people that I find that are the happiest are the people who took the time to match the cruise with their personalities. The value in vacation far exceeds price tag alone!

Feel free to email and I can give you a ton of pointers. tinsel57@hotmail.com

eboon,

If you are talking 3-3.5 TOTAL budget, from my experience, you are right in the ball park...And, if you want, you CAN do it cheaper...

Figure you're flying to a port somewhere since nothing cruises out of anywhere near Michigan...

You can pick up a lot of cruises in Miami/Fort Lauderdale...or some really nice more exotic routes out of San Juan, Puerto Rico...and there are also cruises out of Los Angeles, San Diego, Galveston TX, New Orleans, Tampa...

Even NYC and Baltimore (but, I'd shy away from those since they have to spend an extra day or two just getting to the Caribbean and are mostly for the convenience of the Northeasterners...and you have to fly anyway...Depending on the time of year and fluctuating airline prices, this part will probably cost you between $300 and $1000...let's say $600

Then, figure a night in a hotel in your departure port (always nice to get there early and not sweat missed connections or delayed flights...or to arrive at your ship dead tired...Figure $100 to $200 depending on which port and how nice a hotel (We paid $189 in San Juan in March for the Marriott)...call it $200

Tips on a 7 night cruise, depending on slight variations line to line, run around $10 per person per night...call it $150...So, you're up to $950...

Shore excursions or other tours in Caribbean ports aren't expensive...We had a port-intensive cruise that stopped on 5 islands and spent less than $500 total including tips to tour guides...Say, the average cruise makes four port stops and you do something on each, call it $400...You're up to $1350...

Bar bill (and other onboard incidentals)...Well, how much do you drink? Let's say $300...it's up to 1650...

Now, let's throw in $150 for getting to and from the airport at home and tips to the sky cap...You're up to $1800...

Okay, the biggest part for last...On your $3000 to $3500 budget, that leaves you with $1200 to $1700 for the cruise itself...or $600 to $850 a person...

The old rule of thumb is that you can find cruises for around $100 a day for an inside cabin...For around $900 a person, you get a window (don't bother) and for $1200 to $1500, a balcony...

BUT, here's the good news...If you can travel during an "off" season (like when school is in session), you can get some cheaper rates...

If you book very early OR if you wait until very late- -when the cruise lines get desperate because the ship is not full and the sail date is fast approaching, you can get a better rate...

Also, find a good travel agent--and one who DISCOUNTS...and you can get a better rate (ie...we did our 7 night March--during Spring Break week--Southern Caribbean cruise on Constellation in a balcony cabin for $1000 per person)...

As to cruise lines, don't be fooled by image...Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Celebrity are ALL fairly competitively priced...

At your age, you probably don't want to cruise with HAL (a notoriously older crowd), but you can have a great time on almost any of the lines...

Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships (the 138,000 ton behemoths) are great for younger folks who are a bit sports-minded (rock climbing wall, ice rink, roller blading track, etc.)...but, if it's during school vacation, those venues will be overrun by kids and teens...

Carnival is known for it's "party atmosphere" and younger crowd...but some are put off by what they perceive as obnoxious drunk party animals...

Princess and Celebrity are a bit more reserved and adult...but, in the Caribbean and warm weather climates, they have a pretty varied demographic (the older folks tend away from the hot weather/snorkle/swim/scuba/kayak cruises)...

Pretty much, first find yourself a good TA, float her some approximate dates and ask for suggestions...a good TA will likely present you a few alternatives...

Good luck...

Thanks Bruin Steve for ALL your advice! That was great! Just what I needed. A few questions for you:

1. What do you prefer when cruising? inside or balcony room?

2. Is Feb/Mar a good time to cruise?

3. Where do I find a 'good' TA? Can I find one online? Do I have to look locally?

Thanks again! Also, so sorry to see your UCLA girls softball team lose to U of M in the World Series this week! :) hehe

-erica

1. What do you prefer when cruising? inside or balcony room?

I prefer those balconies...heck, I prefer suites...but, it's usually a matter of money...You can have a wonderful cruise in any type of cabin...Especially if you're the sort that doesn't spend much time in the cabin...

Some people like to hang out in their cabin, order room service, sit out on their balcony and have a drink and enjoy the solitude...Others use the cabin mostly only to sleep and change clothes...If you're in port a lot...and when not in port (like on an "at-sea" day), you'd rather be out by the pool people-watching or taking part in the various activities, then a balcony is really not that big of a thing...At night, all the rooms are dark and it gets a little nippy to go out there...

So, generally, when I get a great deal on a balcony...like when it's only a couple hundred more than an inside, I grab it...but if it means hundreds or thousands of dollars difference, I'll save the money...all the cabins get to go to the same ports, eat the same food, get the same entertainment, etc

Another little hint at better prices...look for "guarantee rates"-instead of choosing a cabin, you let them have the flexibility and choose for you...You have to be prepared to get the worst of the guaranteed cabins...but, remember, all insides are pretty much the same...and if you can get a guaranteed veranda, like we did on our last cruise, that worst balcony cabin is still pretty good...The guarantee rate SHOULD come with a major discount...like a balcony for near the price of an inside...

2. Is Feb/Mar a good time to cruise?

Very good...if you're headed to the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, the "Hurricane Season" (Caribbean) and the "Typhoon Season" (Pacific) aren't until late summer-Early Fall (August/September the worst)...The Spring weather is not TOO hot and muggy but still plenty warm ...beware school "Spring Break" dates though - higher prices, more kids running around the ship...

3. Where do I find a 'good' TA? Can I find one online? Do I have to look locally?

Typically, not the storefront variety...they have high overhead and don't do volume, hence, don't discount...Some internet ones don't provide a lot of service...E-Mail me at BruinSD@aol.com and I'll give you mine...But there are several similar out there...Typically, larger high volume agencies who can afford to discount...although some cruise lines are now discouraging discounting...But, if you tell the TA what you're looking for and tell them price is a major consideration, they'll work to find you the best deals...

Also, so sorry to see your UCLA girls softball team lose to U of M in the World Series this week! :) hehe

It's okay...it was a down year for us---they're young...At least we win most of the time...UCLA...#1 in NCAA Championships with 97 and counting...BTW, my brother went to Uof M...and played Volleyball for them back in the early 80s...

I like cruising in February-- leaving the cold behind and going to where its warm. Only discovered this last year. Left Phila at 8 degrees and came to Cozumel at 88. no humidty. If you dont want to sail with a lot of kids.. watch out for presindents week since that is a major holiday for a lot of schools. Also March tend to be spring breakers.

when using an agent- you want to be careful of hidden costs. see how much they charge to take your booking. The cruiselines charge nothing as do some agents.

when you are looking at a price make sure its the bottom line pricing. On carnival s home page--priceing cruises-- you dont see the taxes until the booking is done.

You sould see a price for the cruise, port charges and taxes.

See what the agents charge for cancellation. THe cruise lines charge nothing up til final payment which is due 70-90 days before the cruise.

What do they charge to make changes.

do they charge to send you your documents.

Youmay be getting a cheap price but if an agent charges for all the little stuff that cheap cruise now became expensive.

make sure the agent...will give you any price reduction up til final payment. Some agents will only give it to you up til final payment. If the price comes down --you want the difference--or you want an upgrade--maybe cabin credit

Archived