Online TAs

Does anyone have any experience -- good or bad -- with online travel booking agencies? I found a seven-night Caribbean cruise leaving from close to my home that would have cost around 1100 for three people in an inside cabin. When I went through the procedure of booking, that price came up with a note saying "This is your total cost. There are no more fees involved." I very nearly booked it, but then I spoke to a travel agent friend of mine who said that no agency is allowed by law to offer cruise prices cheaper than the cruise lines are showing and that these companies hit you with all kinds of extra charges when it comes time to make the final payment. It doesn't seem to me like they would be able to get away with that for long. Other people I spoke to feared that these agencies could easily take your money and then leave you high and dry when cruise time came. But it doesn't seem the could get away with that more than once or twice either. Any ideas/experiences, anyone?

I absolutely use an online agency! There are many, many, many posters on these boards who use online agencies.

The board rules, however, do not allow us to mention the agencies' names.

I believe your travel agent friend is giving you incorrect information. Only a few cruiselines have those price restrictions in place, not all of them. The price I was quoted is the total price I will pay.

I recently booked directly with Princess to get the exact cabin I wanted. I then transferred my booking to my online agency because the price was almost $500 less and Princess would not match it or even come close. ;)

Shop around.

If it's a reputable online agency, you should have no problem. I have used several different ones to book cruises and have never experienced a problem. There is a TA vs. online agency war, so that's probably why your friend said negative things about booking that way. TAs don't like the cheaper online agencies that take away their business. Do your homework and if you find that the online agency has a good reputation, I would use them. I just saved $150pp by booking with an online agency vs. booking direct with the cruiseline. Happy sailing!

You have to really read the fine print before booking. Some on line agencies will nickle and dime you. Any time you use their service or make a modification or change form of payment, there's a fee. There's a fee to mail the tickets to you and on and on and before you know it, sometimes you're big savings is no savings at all! It just depends.

Some people make their booking, pay for it and be done with it. That's really what those type of services are made for. Other people make 10 changes per reservation, change their cabins, try for upgrades, decide they want to make final payment with another card, etc. and that’s fine too.

I know no one wants to be charged extra for any of these things! But we also have to be fair to the people on the other end of the computer since this is all extra work for them. It’s really a fine line we walk.

Just be careful, be educated, take the time to read the fine print so you will know exactly what the terms of your purchase are before you finalize your transaction.

We have used several on-line agencies with no real problem. My only complaint is that some charge you a fee if you cancel.

As for their "taking your money and leaving you high and dry," check your credit card statement (or on-line.) All payments should go directly to the cruise line, not to your TA.

I used on on-line TA to book my next cruise. While the price was right, I'm very disappointed in the service. You really don't have a person to deal with in case you have questions. We called the on-line agency's 1-800 number, got a TA, but found that we really have to hound them to get any answers. And.... some of the answers, I am not sure if they are correct of just attempting to get me off their back. :)

Actually, all online TAs don't charge a fee if you cancel. Many do, but there are a lot of TAs out there who don't. This is a question that you have to resolve before you book.

Keep in mind that some suppliers charge cancellation fees. It may not be the TA at all, but the insurance company, cruise line or vacation package package. But yes, some TA's do charge a cancellation fee that goes to their agency.

And by the way, you don't have to be an online TA to give poor service! That applies to store front agencies as well.

This industry is just like any others. You're going to find good TA's bad TA's and mediocre TA's. A good TA is worth their weight in gold just like a good realtor, car salesman or doctor! The trick is to find them.

Does anyone have any experience -- good or bad -- with online travel booking agencies? I found a seven-night Caribbean cruise leaving from close to my home that would have cost around 1100 for three people in an inside cabin. When I went through the procedure of booking, that price came up with a note saying "This is your total cost. There are no more fees involved." I very nearly booked it, but then I spoke to a travel agent friend of mine who said that no agency is allowed by law to offer cruise prices cheaper than the cruise lines are showing and that these companies hit you with all kinds of extra charges when it comes time to make the final payment. It doesn't seem to me like they would be able to get away with that for long. Other people I spoke to feared that these agencies could easily take your money and then leave you high and dry when cruise time came. But it doesn't seem the could get away with that more than once or twice either. Any ideas/experiences, anyone?

First off, there is no law, there are cruiseline regulations, which is RCL and Celebrity, and Carnival for mass market. I should also say I am not a travel agent as a primary job, however, I have been selling travel for over 22 years. I still check online rates whenever possible to see what I can match or what is being offered. Just like with every other commodity, you can catch a sale or a deal. I never ever say those prices aren't real, because frankly, I know they do exist. As for the final price statement, I am very glad to see that. I had a cruise for myself I was interested in booking, and I checked online to see if there was a discounted fare somewhere, I found one and I knew I couldnt beat the price at all, even without my commission, so I went through the process, lets just say, as I got to the part of putting the 3 digits on the back of my card for verfication my price increased greatly. But this is not limited to just cruises online, I have had this happen to people booking cars/hotels.

I believe in using a travel agent because I like service and I give service, but if you want a price, need nothing but send me my documents, I say look for your best deal...

• 2 weeks later...

Always get a bottom line quote from each agency, all taxes, port charges, service charges, insurance, cabin category etc. Then you can fairly compare. Some on line travel agencies have reserved a block of rooms, so are able to offer group cruise prices, and it is legitimate.

I booked an air/transfer/cruise inclusive trip knowing it was a great deal because airfare would be $500 more if I booked it myself. But I hadn't checked Celebrity's website. Celebrity was offering air from my airport for only $300 east coast to Alaska, and the travel agency had a $100 surcharge for ATL. (so when you are comparing, be sure to click airfare, too. The airfare will usually be shown separately, so you have both the cruise price and the air price to compare with other agencies. But the travel agency offered a two category upgrade, so it turned out to be exactly the same after all. The only thing I hadn't checked was a senior citizen rate, which some on line agencies were offering for $100 less per person. But we are getting a $150 coupon book with our purchase. I guess it balances.

All I'm saying is that I might hve saved $200 per cabin if I'd done a little checking about the senior citizen discount.

I have booked a few cruises on-line without real problems. Many on-line agencies do have a 1-800 number too so if you have questions or feel nervous call the number before you book the first time. Then you can also ask the agent if that is the final price, are there any more charges for mailing docs or anything.

Once you have done it with some help over the phone you may have a better idea what that agencies policies are and be more comfortable doing it totally on line the next time.

We feel that we have picked up a couple of great bargains on line that weren't available through our local TA or the cruiseline direct.

Archived