For those who say lawsuits are bad, what about lost wages?

CoachT

If you took a cruise on Triumph and are an hourly employing, doing shift work in an environment where you have to bid your vacation time once a year, wouldn't you want Carnival to reimburse you for lost wages? Wouldn't you at least make a claim?

Travel insurance is not going to cover that lost amount and based on the outcome of the investigation, there certainly would be many people who have grounds for a monetary recovery. Believe it or not, the clientele on a four-day sailing is the type who can not afford to miss work and will take a big hit in their wallet because of this incident.

If you took a cruise on Triumph and are an hourly employing, doing shift work in an environment where you have to bid your vacation time once a year, wouldn't you want Carnival to reimburse you for lost wages? Wouldn't you at least make a claim?

Travel insurance is not going to cover that lost amount and based on the outcome of the investigation, there certainly would be many people who have grounds for a monetary recovery. Believe it or not, the clientele on a four-day sailing is the type who can not afford to miss work and will take a big hit in their wallet because of this incident.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that anyone be "out of pocket" due to the events on the Triumph last week.

If the $500.00 compensation doesnt' cover the cost of kennels/house sitters/lost wages (I would even count vacation days I had to spend because I was on the Triumph extended) they should be compensated the difference, even if that means taking additional legal action (but I do think people should make the attempt to work with the line first.)

I myself think it's silly that are suing over loss of enjoyment of life.. and other such nonsense... But certainly, if people incurreced additional expenses beyond the $500.00 cash payment, I think Carnival should pay it.

Lost wages can be a concern but I'm guessing, using your example, that the $500 Carnival gave every passenger (not just every working passenger) would cover a good chunk of 4 days lost pay. Maybe not all the lost pay but a fair amount which I would think renders the time and expense of suing for lost wages somewhat moot. Just my take on it.

Lost wages can be a concern but I'm guessing, using your example, that the $500 Carnival gave every passenger (not just every working passenger) would cover a good chunk of 4 days lost pay. Maybe not all the lost pay but a fair amount which I would think renders the time and expense of suing for lost wages somewhat moot. Just my take on it.

Right now every other expense that the passengers incurred were refunded to them. The $500 was on top of getting monies back for their shore excursions and other expenses on board. They received a hotel stay and a flight home. The cost of their sailing was refunded, plus they received an equivalent amount towards a future sailing.

Take the $500 and be satisfied.

MARAPRINCE

Total it up -- a full refund of cruise expenses, a future cruise and $500. It probably equals what most passengers are out of pocket for lost wages, etc. My guess if that someone has financial losses in excess of that amount and can prove it, and they contact Carnival, there might be a few more $$ in their pocket.

The two individual suits seek compensation for bodily injuries, and the putative class action seeks damages for emotional distress. Not quite the same thing.

I strongly suspect that anyone who presents documentation of lost wages to Carnival will be compensated for them.

Agreed.

Just completed a cruise survey. One of the questions asked is household income. Carnival has a very good idea of the average weekly wage of it's passengers from each of it's ports.

Total it up -- a full refund of cruise expenses, a future cruise and $500. It probably equals what most passengers are out of pocket for lost wages, etc. My guess if that someone has financial losses in excess of that amount and can prove it, and they contact Carnival, there might be a few more $$ in their pocket.

The two individual suits seek compensation for bodily injuries, and the putative class action seeks damages for emotional distress. Not quite the same thing.

The refund of the cruise expenses, and future cruse are there to make up for the poor vacation experience, and while generous (Especially the free cruise in the fugure) shouldn't be accounted for in determining if a customer is at a loss for wages/other expenses. I guess you could argue the Shipboard expenses might... and the $500.00... but I don't htink it's appropriate to count the cruise cost..

Although if I were on the Triumph, in addition to the cruise credit, I would expect 1,500 back... that would be more than I think we would be out for lost wages/house sitter and other necessary arrangements...

No claim. Carnival is reimbursing you with a flight, hotel, $500 & a free cruise. Also what does bidding on your vacation time have to do with any of this?

No claim. Carnival is reimbursing you with a flight, hotel, $500 & a free cruise. Also what does bidding on your vacation time have to do with any of this?

So 500, assumes that a PAX makes 125 a day (That would be $15.62 an hour) ... I make more than this... (Extra days Tuesday-Friday)

Why should I have to use my Vacation time to make up the difference? Granted when I add my $500.00, my spouses $500 and my child's $500 I think my expenses would be covered, that's only because I took my child, Had I not taken him, I would have been out about 450 bucks between Lost wages and house sitter...

Again, why should I have to pay for that?

If $500 doesn't cover it, you probably don't need it.

Says who? That's not fair. I think people are entitled to be made whole- if they had lost wages or had to use additional vacation time, they should be reimbursed. This has nothing to do with Carnival refunding the cruise or covering cruise-related expenses. And yes, it would be 1099ed.

But that's different than people suing for emotional distress or whatever. That is ridiculous.

DH and I were discussing it and decided we'd totally be on that ship if it meant we got a free cruise out of the deal (or at least discounted). He said "yeah, but you would have to go to the bathroom in a plastic bag since the toilets don't work." Um, that's why we have a balcony! :eek:

Besides the $500 they were also refunded the cruise fare. That seems like it would cover most lost wages and other expenses.

The refunded fare was to make up for a bad experience was it not? Not to compensate for losses I would take it.

If $500 doesn't cover it, you probably don't need it.

Who are you to say that? Its not just about need but fairness but I would assume 100% of them need it.

If your beloved company cost me lost wages and extra vacation time, I expect it back no matter the amount.

You guys think folks who make over $16per hour (about what carnivals $500 covers ) are rich or something ?

um how about no. If I were in that situation, $500 wont cover the time missed. Also I would expect any vacation time pay I had to use to be reimbursed as well.

Some of you need better paying jobs it seems.

How many days late was it getting into port?

Archived