For those who say lawsuits are bad, what about lost wages?

CoachT

So I think that there are some invalid assumptions here... One is pretty huge, and that will the IRS see this as taxalbe income? (The 500.00) my bet is that it will be, and that benefit now drops...

With that said, had I been struck on the Triumph depending on if I brought my child or not, I would be looking at somewhere around a 200-400 dollar loss on the trip with House sitter/lost wages (using my PTO to cover) and my wife's lost wages as she would not have the accrued PTO, and would have to have taken it unpaid.

Again, if someone can demonstrate to Carnival, that they are out more money than the compensation package allows for $500 & Bar Tab, then they should pay the difference.

With regards to airlines, if your flight is cancelled/delayed due to mechanical issues, and you can demonstrate some loss, they ususally make it up... what they don't do is reumburse you for weather related events.

It is impossible to come up with a complete list of what you are truly out. If I was putting together a list (and was theoretically paid hourly), I would be out my pay less the expenses of making this pay (food, gas, etc.). So the $500 (whether before or after tax), plus bar bill plus any excursions in cozumel, might cover more than originally thought.

As for tax on it, I think it depends on the classification of the payment (if it is to cover lost wages, then it is fully taxable... if it is to cover emotional distress, it may not be taxable).

If someone was truly out a significant amount of money or out a job, I would go to CCL and ask for compensation and potentially try to bring a suit... If I was injured, I would do the same thing... If my losses and my gains are any where close, I would probably do nothing.

I think once the cruise ship broke, Carnival could have declared the cruise over and dumped the passengers off in Progreso or any other port to get home on their own, with no compensation whatsoever.

See 7e)

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

Knowing how fanatical some of you are, I doubt you are joking or merely being sarcastic with your sentiment. No doubts at all you are serious.

It is impossible to come up with a complete list of what you are truly out. If I was putting together a list (and was theoretically paid hourly), I would be out my pay less the expenses of making this pay (food, gas, etc.). So the $500 (whether before or after tax), plus bar bill plus any excursions in cozumel, might cover more than originally thought.

As for tax on it, I think it depends on the classification of the payment (if it is to cover lost wages, then it is fully taxable... if it is to cover emotional distress, it may not be taxable).

If someone was truly out a significant amount of money or out a job, I would go to CCL and ask for compensation and potentially try to bring a suit... If I was injured, I would do the same thing... If my losses and my gains are any where close, I would probably do nothing.

I think that's entirely reasonable... and based on Carnival's intitial response, I don't think a Lawsuit would be required. I do think that overall the terms are very generous, I just could forsee situations where someone might have financial losses... those, that are above and beyond what I would say is the generous portion of Carnival's offer (the comped bar bill, and $500.00) should give Carnival the opportunity to do what is right, and like I said, based on Cayhill's response so far, I think they would.

I guess what I'm wondering is, would a person whose means is such that they really need to recover those lost wages be able to afford the time and expense to sue for them? Would the payback be worth it, assuming they won the judgement? I really don't know, just asking.

It's probably not cost effective to pursue the claim if you have to hire an attorney and bring a suit.

I am surprised one of the replies. They received a hotel stay because they needed a place to sleep. They got a flight home....to get home...because they missed their orignial flight. I don't like the lawsuits for emotional issues, etc., but if I were on that cruise and missed a week a work, as a teacher, I would make a bit more than $500 in a week.

I am surprised one of the replies. They received a hotel stay because they needed a place to sleep. They got a flight home....to get home...because they missed their orignial flight. I don't like the lawsuits for emotional issues, etc., but if I were on that cruise and missed a week a work, as a teacher, I would make a bit more than $500 in a week.

Yes but they were refunded the original transportation costs (so if you were scheduled to fly home Monday, you were given full refund for that and they flew you home)... As for hotel, I don't really count that as compensation.

How many people making $16.20 an hour are cruising. Either some of you people are really bad at math or just over extended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$16.20 per hour full time is $32k per year. I suspect that a significant percentage of Carnival cruisers make that or less. Further, don't forget that the offer is per passenger, so if two people are in the cabin it's equivalent to a salary of $64k per year.

Knowing how fanatical some of you are, I doubt you are joking or merely being sarcastic with your sentiment. No doubts at all you are serious.

In Sargent Shulz's defense, he said "could", not "should". According to the contract of carriage he's right. Legally Carnival had no responsibility to those pax beyond bringing them back to Galveston uninjured.

Lost wages can be a concern but I'm guessing, using your example, that the $500 Carnival gave every passenger (not just every working passenger) would cover a good chunk of 4 days lost pay. Maybe not all the lost pay but a fair amount which I would think renders the time and expense of suing for lost wages somewhat moot. Just my take on it.

I would agree, in the missed work part, they were on the ship 3 extra days, and add Friday that is 4 days, they gave them $500 for each passenger, kids and adults. So for couple they got $250 per day, for a family with kids it got even better. yea it was tough on the ship, but I think they did a good job trying to make it right, and I would not be surprised if there was not some type of explanation to guests that if there were expenses beyond the $500 per person to get in contact and provide receipts for concideration and reimbursment.

If you ask nice, they can be helpful if you act like an *(&^ well that is what you get also.

Total it up -- a full refund of cruise expenses, a future cruise and $500. It probably equals what most passengers are out of pocket for lost wages, etc. My guess if that someone has financial losses in excess of that amount and can prove it, and they contact Carnival, there might be a few more $$ in their pocket.

The two individual suits seek compensation for bodily injuries, and the putative class action seeks damages for emotional distress. Not quite the same thing.

I am wondering when the suits will start because "I am afraid to cruise now, and they wont give me all my money back plus extra for being scared of, everything"

The refund of the cruise expenses, and future cruse are there to make up for the poor vacation experience, and while generous (Especially the free cruise in the fugure) shouldn't be accounted for in determining if a customer is at a loss for wages/other expenses. I guess you could argue the Shipboard expenses might... and the $500.00... but I don't htink it's appropriate to count the cruise cost..

Although if I were on the Triumph, in addition to the cruise credit, I would expect 1,500 back... that would be more than I think we would be out for lost wages/house sitter and other necessary arrangements...

I think strange things, house sitter, kennel, baby sitter, should be handled on a case by case basis, not everyone needs a house sitter, my house never runs away or makes a mess. My dog does go to the Kennel and would cost me extra so I would want to talk about it.

I wonder about the "ship board expenses"

If you were on the cruise and booked an excursion and charged it to your s/s card, then when in Cozamel did the excursion, they gave you that money back because it was on your s/s card, what about the family that had paid for it them self, shouldn't they get it back also, what if they paid Carnival before the cruise, did they get it back? Do they ever deserve that money back? The thing knowbody is remembering is this

The cruise started on Thursday, they had a good day out, good day at sea, good day in Cozamel, and then a bad day at sea that extended the cruise 3.5 more days (Monday afternoon, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) and for the extra 3.5 days they got $500 each, free transportation to the airport, free hotel and all the fixins, refund of airfare change charges, refund of parking charges, refund of anything else the complain about, and for most of them free $50 bathrobes that they took home, Plus a story to tell for the rest of their lives.

I am wondering when the suits will start because "I am afraid to cruise now, and they wont give me all my money back plus extra for being scared of, everything"

According to Lucy in the Charlie Brown Christmas special, it's called "pantophobia". ;)

If you took a cruise on Triumph and are an hourly employing, doing shift work in an environment where you have to bid your vacation time once a year, wouldn't you want Carnival to reimburse you for lost wages? Wouldn't you at least make a claim?

No claim. Carnival is reimbursing you with a flight, hotel, $500 & a free cruise. Also what does bidding on your vacation time have to do with any of this?

Oh yea, the free cruise to take later, is that a trick?

They are giving you a free cruise based on the amount you paid for the Triumph cruise? when you get your money back, you did not pay anything, so are you really getting a cruise, or is that just a trick,

think about it you pessimistic bone heads,

How many people making $16.20 an hour are cruising. Either some of you people are really bad at math or just over extended.

I'm sorry, is there a wage requirement now to cruise? Passengers must make XXX amount of dollars before they are permitted on board? Should Carnival now be doing credit checks to make sure that the people who are booking cruises make enough money to cruise on their ships?

That would be an emotional distress claim. That's the basis of the class action suit that was filed last week.

Maybe my math skills are a little rocky but if I had a vacation and then someone reimbursed me for the entire vacation including getting me home and gave me a voucher for the cruise amount to be used again and then topped it off with an extra $500 for my inconvenience I think, financially, I would be in pretty good shape. Basically I'm getting $2000 worth of something for less than a week. Even if I figure 40 hours of missed work that comes to $50 bucks an hour. That should cover doggy care, and baby sitters. What other costs would be associated with those days?

Maybe my math skills are a little rocky but if I had a vacation and then someone reimbursed me for the entire vacation including getting me home and gave me a voucher for the cruise amount to be used again and then topped it off with an extra $500 for my inconvenience I think, financially, I would be in pretty good shape. Basically I'm getting $2000 worth of something for less than a week. Even if I figure 40 hours of missed work that comes to $50 bucks an hour. That should cover doggy care, and baby sitters. What other costs would be associated with those days?

The problem is the presumption that everyone has gotten a free cruise and is getting another free future Carnival cruise. If you consider the last Triumph cruise free, you have very low standards for cruising. Furthermore, some won't cruise ever again. Some won't ever cruise Carnival again. Carnival knows that. It's a sham. You're sticking up for a corporation that is taking advantage of their clients. That's why I'm LMAO. You're buying it from a $28 billion corporation. That's 28 BILLION DOLLARS! A 28 billion dollar corporation is buying for $500. LMAO! We're all working class people but some of you are drinking the Carnival Kool-Aid... Happy cruising!!!

The problem is the presumption that everyone has gotten a free cruise and is getting another free future Carnival cruise. If you consider the last Triumph cruise free, you have very low standards for cruising. Furthermore, some won't cruise ever again. Some won't ever cruise Carnival again. Carnival knows that. It's a sham. You're sticking up for a corporation that is taking advantage of their clients. That's why I'm LMAO. You're buying it from a $28 billion corporation. That's 28 BILLION DOLLARS! A 28 billion dollar corporation is buying for $500. LMAO! We're all working class people but some of you are drinking the Carnival Kool-Aid... Happy cruising!!!

So what is your recommendation beyond the comment above? :confused:

So what is your recommendation beyond the comment above? :confused:

My recommendation is if some people are happy with what they got then that's fine. Just stop criticizing people who don't think that's enough. We shouldn't judge people if we haven't walked in their shoes. That goes for the critics that were on the ship. Even everybody's favorite passenger Jake said that everyone's experience was different and he wouldn't criticize anyone if they filed a suit. He wasn't intent on filing suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, a corporation that can sit on and squash Royal. But the corporation is much more than the Carnival line.

And the first cruise was free - they were already on day 3 of a 4 day cruise. Very few of the people on the ship were CNN material.

Who cares Sarge? I'm not married to a cruise line. The corporation is nothing more than a corporation. They care no more about their customers than any other corporation. They do just enough to keep their customers happy so they will come back. If they were that much better, then no one would cruise any other. Get a grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You sir, make a lot of sense in all of your posts.

Archived