Single w/ Teens - am I crazy to try this??

EliseinAustin

Travelers -

24 yo DD (heading off for first real job after MEd.

20 yr DS (heading into 3rd year of college)

18 yo DD (heading into 2nd yr of college)

15 yo DS (10th grader)

Me

Truth is... I want to plan a family vacay.. and it's daunting to me to plan a trip. so cruise it easy for me to do... We took our first cruise (Western Carib) the christmas my dh passed and it was a good get away for me... but.. my kids.. not so much...

I like the idea of cruising b/c I don't have to sweat so many of the details :?

I want to go to AK.. but kids not so much...

I'm thinking that

a) if I got the right ship

b) we did lots of outdoor adventures

that this could be a good trip...

Just wanted to bounce this off of someone...

Thoughts???

Signed..

trying to do the right thing in building family memories for my kids..

A few suggestions, involve the kids- all of them in the planning. Plead the case, -- this is for you. Allow any of the kids to bail out.

Yes, I am blunt and to the point and my ideas are rarely "popular" but, I'm true to myself.

My then 16 year old was left behind from my trips, since he claimed I had dragged him to enough places. :) I got the most pleasant surprise when he went to Ireland with me, when he was 22. Hasn't gone with me since- but, I'm always full of suggestions.

Problem I then, had was his brother now, was doing double time> :) He was a better sport and tolerated all the trips longer- but then he too cut me off. :(

My hope down the road is they will be able to look back favorabily with all the places they both have been (their father, now retired, was an airline employee)- NOW I drag him all over- the great sport that he is!!!!

My single mom took us on cruises when I was a kid, and Alaska is the one I remember most fondly. It's great because the activities on shore can be group adventures. I'm a widow as well and agree that cruising is by far the easiest way to vacation - though my kids are 8 and I haven't dealt with the sullen teen years yet. Maybe if you put together a list of different adventures that could be done at each port, they'll see that even though it's not laying in the sun, you can river raft, do a sled dog ride, etc.

Best,

Mia

Yes - it sounds crazy and I commend you for it! They are going to have a blast!

While your children may not think "Alaska is cool" they will be amazingly surprised. There is so much to do in Alaska for young ones, it is sad that Alaska is known for a cruise for senior citizens.

Words of wisdom - start saving for shore excursions. Some of the "once in a lifetime excursions" can be pricey. If anything, consider getting a less expensive room to take advantage of shore excursions. Also, plan excursions. If you just get get off the ship and wander around like you can do in the Caribbean, you will miss many of the amazing things Alaska offers.

Try booking a cruise with Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. Don't settle for Tracy Arm.

Who knows when your family will have another vacation to get together especially with the oldest entering the work world. Have a great cruise! You and your kids are going to love it.

To be honest, we can wish you well but not promise an outcome.

May I strongly suggest that you listen to what your children have to say about the idea and respect their opinions? Find out what their idea of a family vacation is.

Nothing is worse than travelling with someone who doesn't want to be there and refuses to have a good time.

Nope, doesn't sound crazy at all.

As suggested, include the kids in the planning. Offer to buy them EACH some internet time, so they can post to Facebook. Or (cheaper option) locate the internet cafes in each port and promise them 1/2 hr or 1 hr at each port to catch up with their online lives. Depending on the cost, give them "roaming" texting time.

Have them research the ziplining, rafting, kayaking excursions. If any of them are interested in indigenous culture, have that one research the culture(s) of the areas you will visit. If one of them is into wildlife, have them research the whales that will be around where you are cruising.

Promise them that not everything has to be "family time", that they'll have chances to do stuff on their own. Tell them your expectations, e.g., all day is free time/do your own thing, we just meet up for dinner -- or whatever. Make it clear you will give them LOTS of chances to not feel smothered and "put upon" :D

.... and maybe let them know that you don't ask for much, and would really appreciate them coming along. 'Cuz you'd hate to leave them locked in a closet for the time you are away ;)

I count five people in your group -- have you figured out how everyone would be roomed?

Good luck!

Nope, doesn't sound crazy at all.

As suggested, include the kids in the planning. Offer to buy them EACH some internet time, so they can post to Facebook. Or (cheaper option) locate the internet cafes in each port and promise them 1/2 hr or 1 hr at each port to catch up with their online lives. Depending on the cost, give them "roaming" texting time.

One of the the beauties of Alaska is that most cell phone companies don't charge extra in Alaska so they can have access to Facebook, etc... via smart phones when in port.

I actually never expected to go or like Alaska. We had a free 7 night cruise and choose Alaska because it was one of the more expensive ones and that I would "never pay to go to Alaska". Little did I know that I would fall in love with it - I was in my 20's. I much prefer Alaska to the Caribbean any day. I can't say that when I was your kids age, that Alaska was at the top of my list. It was probably at the bottom. If I had gone in my teen years, I would have been pleasantly impressed.

I would approach it from a family trip and something you want them to do for you. Tell them the next trip - they can vote on the destination (within reason).

One of the the beauties of Alaska is that most cell phone companies don't charge extra in Alaska so they can have access to Facebook, etc... via smart phones when in port.

I actually never expected to go or like Alaska. We had a free 7 night cruise and choose Alaska because it was one of the more expensive ones and that I would "never pay to go to Alaska". Little did I know that I would fall in love with it - I was in my 20's. I much prefer Alaska to the Caribbean any day. I can't say that when I was your kids age, that Alaska was at the top of my list. It was probably at the bottom. If I had gone in my teen years, I would have been pleasantly impressed.

I would approach it from a family trip and something you want them to do for you. Tell them the next trip - they can vote on the destination (within reason).

Thanks, Coral. I'm Canadian, our cell phone providers are VERY different :) so I wasn't aware that some areas would still be covered under whatever US phone plan is in place for FB and such.

(Still bummed that I've had to cancel my 7th trip to Alaska -- there really IS something that grabs most of us (apparently NOT my DH though) about Alaska, and demands our return time and again.)

Thanks, Coral. I'm Canadian, our cell phone providers are VERY different :) so I wasn't aware that some areas would still be covered under whatever US phone plan is in place for FB and such.

(Still bummed that I've had to cancel my 7th trip to Alaska -- there really IS something that grabs most of us (apparently NOT my DH though) about Alaska, and demands our return time and again.)

You are the opposite - when you go to Alaska, you probably turn off your cell phone. When I go to Canada, I turn off my cell :)

Sorry about you having to cancel your cruise :(. I don't think Alaska is in my cards for this year either.

Maybe you can do a late booking?

A few suggestions, involve the kids- all of them in the planning. Plead the case, -- this is for you. Allow any of the kids to bail out.

Yes, I am blunt and to the point and my ideas are rarely "popular" but, I'm true to myself.

My then 16 year old was left behind from my trips, since he claimed I had dragged him to enough places. :) I got the most pleasant surprise when he went to Ireland with me, when he was 22. Hasn't gone with me since- but, I'm always full of suggestions.

Problem I then, had was his brother now, was doing double time> :) He was a better sport and tolerated all the trips longer- but then he too cut me off. :(

My hope down the road is they will be able to look back favorabily with all the places they both have been (their father, now retired, was an airline employee)- NOW I drag him all over- the great sport that he is!!!!

I'd be happy to volunteer to be your daughter if you'd take me on all your trips ;)

To be honest, we can wish you well but not promise an outcome.

May I strongly suggest that you listen to what your children have to say about the idea and respect their opinions? Find out what their idea of a family vacation is.

Nothing is worse than travelling with someone who doesn't want to be there and refuses to have a good time.

Reason I would leave them home. :) This trip is in the summer- with alternative options likely.

Travelers -

24 yo DD (heading off for first real job after MEd.

20 yr DS (heading into 3rd year of college)

18 yo DD (heading into 2nd yr of college)

15 yo DS (10th grader)

Me

Truth is... I want to plan a family vacay.. and it's daunting to me to plan a trip. so cruise it easy for me to do... We took our first cruise (Western Carib) the christmas my dh passed and it was a good get away for me... but.. my kids.. not so much...

I like the idea of cruising b/c I don't have to sweat so many of the details :?

I want to go to AK.. but kids not so much...

I'm thinking that

a) if I got the right ship

b) we did lots of outdoor adventures

that this could be a good trip...

Just wanted to bounce this off of someone...

Thoughts???

Signed..

trying to do the right thing in building family memories for my kids..

If you have great kids, they will absolutely enjoy this trip with you. There are so many exciting things to do. We did ziplining in Hawaii and my teens loved it! Perhaps there wasn't enough adventure for them to do on your last cruise?

I would also love to do the rock climbing, the snorkeling (snorkeling in Alaska!), helicopter glacier trekking (watching some of these videos is absolutely incredible--some climb down into crevasses or up the side of the mountain), sea kayaking, and there is plenty of hiking.

I think they'll be pleasantly surprised with this trip. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You sound like a wonderful mother and typically with children the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.:)

Best of luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you... you've given me the push to go...

Now to plan...

I WILL involve the kids... I think that's probably the KEY!

Have a fabulous time!!! Although we never cruised with our children, we traveled extensively in the USA and Canada. I never did get them to AK, and to this day regret it. However, we experienced many national and state parks together, camping on many, many of our vacations. Our oldest son chose to go to the Canadian Rockies for his honeymoon, just like his dad and I did. My daughter was also going to go to the Canadian Rockies on her upcoming honeymoon, but chose instead AK on HAL. She knows it has been my favorite destination and both she and her fiancé love the outdoors, so this should be a good choice for them. Also, we did take her to the Canadian Rockies, so I think she was looking for someplace new.

What warms my heart is when our children have friends over and pull out our photo albums and show their friends the many place they have been. They are definitely the most traveled of any of their friends. In fact, when we returned from Hawaii, which we enjoyed well enough, my daughter commented, "I think all the people who love Hawaii so much, haven't been to all the places we have been." :) This from the perspective of a 22 year old.

I think with input from the children about what to do in AK and perhaps let them help pick out the cruise ship, I am quite sure you will have a great time. Find out what they didn't care for about the last cruise and see if you can change things up a bit for this time around. If they thought the cabins were too small, find a cruise line with bigger cabins. If they didn't find enough to do on the ship that interested them, find out what they would like to do. Please know that it is constantly reported on this forum that activities and entertainment are a bit more subdued on AK cruises, so if they are looking for an active ship, this would be more difficult. . However, if they are well prepared for what is to come as they travel from port to port, they might get their enjoyment from what is outside the ship. I highly recommend the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile---Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363199909&sr=1-1&keywords=alaska

Archived