I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Thanks for the penguin pictures. Its Grumpy not Grouchy but I will answer to either.....:):):)

OK, Now I feel terrible! And I used to be so good with names.:D I totally missed the Snow White connection. Perhaps I should change my name to Dopey. Oh well, I'll answer to either one.:)

Thanks for the pics, I think it is funny how the park has various types of guns and cannons for the kids to play with.

I had the same thought as I was taking the picture.

Edited by SailorJack

In Montevideo we took a HOHO bus to get a flavor of the city. I am not saying life in Montevideo is not all slow and easy, but these two photos sort of illustrate that life is good.

461.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

Traffic can be a little slow at times also.

DSCN1236.jpg

This is inside the Parliament where the Constitution of Uruguay is kept under ceremonial guard.

100_11882.jpg

It is a very beautiful building. Notice the inlaid marble floors and walls.

100_11942.jpg

In Montevideo we took a HOHO bus to get a flavor of the city. I am not saying life in Montevideo is not all slow and easy, but these two photos sort of illustrate that life is good.

[/url]

Traffic can be a little slow at times also.

This is inside the Parliament where the Constitution of Uruguay is kept under ceremonial guard.

It is a very beautiful building. Notice the inlaid marble floors and walls.

100_11942.jpg

Great pics again, I wonder how long their shift is, their feet must be killing them.:D

Great pics again, I wonder how long their shift is, their feet must be killing them.:D

I thought the same thing. I guess it was a real problem as they are standing on some squares of red carpet. I hoped there was some rubber matting under the carpet. Hard to imagine how hard it is to stand in one place for any length of time. I asked someone how long their shift was, but nobody knew. Reminded me of the guards at Buckingham Palace, but nobody was trying to get the guards to laugh or blink.:)

Montevideo is known as the "City of Parks" and there were some very beautiful ones. Following are some of the sights in José Batlle y Ordoñez Park near the center of the city.

This is probably the most renowned sculpture in Montevideo. It is entitled La Careta "The cart" and commemorates the role that ox carts played in 19th century Uruguay. It was actually made in Italy and shipped to Montevideo.

100_1199.jpg

Another sculpture in the park, but as we passed it on the HOHO bus, I don't know what the inscription says.

446.jpg

A river runs through it.

448.jpg

This is actually a house built in 1945 by a millionaire who wanted a quiet place to paint, read and entertain. It has four rooms inside (two upstairs and two downstairs) and a bathroom. The eagle's head was added on as a whim. It is now known locally (obviously) as "The Eagle." You can go inside and visit and the view from the upstairs windows in spectacular. Most amazing...no charge to visit!

100_1215.jpg

This monument entitled The Fight (La Lucha) honors those killed in acts of service in the Navy. The sculpture represents "the poignant moment of death." It is located at the Navy Square (Plaza de la Armada) in Montevideo.

100_12112.jpg

Interesting pics, I like the Eagle house but think it would be rather public with people coming through all the time:eek:

The sculpture of the people looks like they are wearing traditional native indian type dress so perhaps a tribute to the indigenous peoples of the area.:D

All of these photos are from Plaza Independencia - the most important plaza in Montevideo - separating Ciudad Vieja from downtown Montevideo. TIP: if you are going to visit Montevideo forget the taxi. There is a leather shop in the plaza that runs a free shuttle from the ship to the store. Just pay a quick visit to the store an then you are free to see the city. Catch the free shuttle back to the ship.

This first photo is of Puerta de la Ciudadela (Gateway of the Citadel) -one of the few remaining parts of the wall that surrounded the ancient city. The wall was torn down in 1829.

495.jpg

This is a statue of Jose Gervasio Artigas Arnal - often called the Father of Uruguayan Nationhood. There is a mausoleum underneath the statue where his remains are kept.

492.jpg

Another shot of the Plaza. On either side of the Statue you can see the steps leading down to the mausoleum.

490.jpg

Aw you can tell from the building on the left, central air was late in coming to the city.

491.jpg

Interesting pics, I like the Eagle house but think it would be rather public with people coming through all the time:eek:

The sculpture of the people looks like they are wearing traditional native indian type dress so perhaps a tribute to the indigenous peoples of the area.:D

I think you may be correct about the sculpture, but I don't think the owner of the Eagle House minds much...He passed away quite some time ago!

I think you may be correct about the sculpture, but I don't think the owner of the Eagle House minds much...He passed away quite some time ago!

LOL, I am sure he doesn't give it a second thought now that he has gone to that big eyrie in the sky.:D

One of the best reviews ever! I'm usually not drawn to long text reviews, but when I started reading your first post, I couldn't stop (the photos were an added bonus). Can't wait to hear about your next cruise.

One of the best reviews ever! I'm usually not drawn to long text reviews, but when I started reading your first post, I couldn't stop (the photos were an added bonus). Can't wait to hear about your next cruise.

Glad you enjoyed it. Next review will be more than a year away. We normally take two cruises a year, but SailorJill wants to visit Kruger National Park in South Africa this year, so we will do that in lieu of our second cruise. Guess I'll have to change my name to SafariJack and find a place where you can post safari reviews.:D

Hi Sailor Jack, as everyone else has said, great review. We are going on it next February too (I wonder which one the previous poster is going on, we are taking the 16th Feb one). Very informative, guess I need to take my thermals! This will be our first cruise so really looking forward to it.

Glad you enjoyed it. Next review will be more than a year away. We normally take two cruises a year, but SailorJill wants to visit Kruger National Park in South Africa this year, so we will do that in lieu of our second cruise. Guess I'll have to change my name to SafariJack and find a place where you can post safari reviews.:D

Please tell SafariJack to let us know when he posts his review of the Safari. I'd sure hate to miss that one. :D

Hi Sailor Jack, as everyone else has said, great review. We are going on it next February too (I wonder which one the previous poster is going on, we are taking the 16th Feb one). Very informative, guess I need to take my thermals! This will be our first cruise so really looking forward to it.

Welcome to Cruise critic, we are on the one before yours, the 2 Feb 2014 cruise to Antarctica. Thermals may be wise, definately wear layers.:D

I am sure you could post some safari review if it is with a cruise either before or after. It will still be very entertaining, I am sure.:D

You are in for a real treat. We have done a fair number of cruises, but this one was probably the most unique. What an itinerary for a first cruise! I hope you have great weather for the trip. I hope you post a review of your experience.

Jack

Please tell SafariJack to let us know when he posts his review of the Safari. I'd sure hate to miss that one. :D

It does open up a whole new world of possibilities! :) This will be our second safari. Our first was many years ago in Kenya and it is that memory of a fantastic experience that is luring us back to the dark continent.

great review SailorJack once again!!! very very funny, and informative . Whenever I get strange looks from everyone around due to my hilarious giggles and chuckles! thanks for bringing a smile on my face once again!!!:D:D

Glad you enjoyed it. Next cruise isn't for quite a while - May of next year to Tahiti.:(

These are some of the sights we visited on our HOHO excursion.

This is a monument inspired by the travails of the early settlers in the area. They depended on the areas wild turkeys for food and in honor of that bird they erected the Wishbone Memorial. Actually, I have no idea what this is. There was no plaque with an inscription! And it was in the middle of a busy intersection.

454.jpg

I don't know what it is about Montevideo, but they like to put their memorials in the middle of the intersection. This cross was erected to commemorate Pope Paul II's first visit to Montevideo. We were told that this is the spot that he held a Mass, but I don't know if that is really accurate? At any rate, this 30 yard tall dominates the area.

457.jpg

The city's streets are lined with impressive looking buildings such as this one.

449.jpg

Lots of parks in the city.

DSCN1249.jpg

The city of Montevideo is located right next to beautiful beaches - which were well used the day we were there.

DSCN1245.jpg