Sneaky Spirit Air Fee Surprise

Ready 4 the next 1

when I go to the Spirit Air website there is a link at the top that says "our optional fees" and it takes directly to all the fees for baggage they have.

That's interesting. When I go their site it is not there.

Here is where I am going: http://www.spirit.com/Default.aspx

Perhaps there are multiple web-sites or what you see is different depending on the location of your IP address?

This is the second time in this string a person has gone to their web-site and posted that they have seen things that I cannot see when I go there.

That's interesting. When I go their site it is not there.

Here is where I am going: http://www.spirit.com/Default.aspx

Perhaps there are multiple web-sites or what you see is different depending on the location of your IP address?

This is the second time in this string a person has gone to their web-site and posted that they have seen things that I cannot see when I go there.

When I click on your link, I see the following options along the top:

When I click on your link, I see the following options along the top:

Aha....I see them in small letters at the top in what at first glance looks like a background field. One little twitch of the mouse wheel and - POOF - they are gone from the screen. Meanwhile, I see all kinds of other things in a lighter blue field in huge letters, some bright red to catch the eye. There is also a Vegas video that starts up. I guess one can choose to carefully make sure you search out and hit every link.....or.... do business elsewhere.

I am going elsewhere.

Like a idiot :o I counted 74 lines of "fees".

"allowing customers the freedom to choose only the extras they value"

Of special note:

Spirit Assigned Seating at Check-In - is guess what ?? FREE !!

Wow...

I think the "sneaky" part of Spirit is that the normal and customary baggage weight in the US is 50 lbs and has been as long as I can remember.

They probaby lower theirs so they can catch people who are used to the 50 limit. Even if you know it's 40 your suitcase holds 50+ so you have to be very careful.

Why can't they allow 50 lbs like everyone else? Because here is a chance to not only charge a baggage fee but also an excess baggage fee.

Kind of like the speed traps where speed limit drops 10 mph for no reason but to trap and get money.

We've been flying Spirit Air since their inception. Yes, their extra fees can be quite costly, but generally we select flights that are low priced so it makes up for it. Our main reason for flying Spirit is we live only 20 minutes from Atlantic City and they offer numerous flight options to various cities in Florida. If we fly out of Philly, it's more difficult to ask a friend or family member to drop us off and pick us up, so then we incur parking fees. Asking someone to drop us off and pick us up in A.C. is not an issue. Two winters ago I had 6 weeks off work due to minor surgery, and I flew down every week from A.C. to Ft. Myers using their $9 fare (with taxes and fees, my RT ticket was actually $36. It is difficult keeping our bags to under 40 lbs., but it is clearly stated under their baggage fees. It is what it is, as they say.

Fortunately (fingers crossed) we've never had a problem with any of their flights. The staff has always been extremely nice and they have a fleet of new airplanes.

I will continue to fly Spirit as it works for us.

Archived