Pianos on the Ruby

mseldga

I have an odd question for all you Ruby experts out there. My 12 year old daughter participated in a piano competition this past weekend and advanced to the regionals. The regional competition is going to be March 23rd and we're heading out on the Ruby for a week on March 10th. I talked to her piano teacher last night and she was not happy about the news that my daughter would be unable to practice for that week.

So, does anyone know if the pianos around the ship - such as in Crooners - are accessible when not being used by the professionals? I can imagine that they don't want kids banging on it, etc., so I'm guessing maybe not, but I thought maybe noone would mind if she went up there at a time when Crooners is closed and noone else is hanging around. Anybody ever tried to play the pianos on board?

Thanks -

I would think you need to make very special arrangements prior to boarding with Princess, so they can inform the CD of her requirements. I personally feel they would not wish to have her practicing in Crooners as it is in a very public area. They might provide her with some time in another less used venue, such as the Adagio Lounge on deck 16. You need to contact Princess about this.

Thanks for the information - I'll call Princess today and see what they say. I hadn't thought about the wedding chapel piano or Adagio, but agree that those would both be better options than Crooners. Crooners was just the only piano I could think of other than the one in the piazza which I knew definitely would not work. ;) Thanks again -

Either that or seek out the Music Manager/Director when you get on the ship. He's probably going to be most understanding about the importance of regular music practice (like why our son found it necessary to bring his trumpet on his week's vacation in Walt Disney World) and he can tell you best where a piano's available when.

Thank's Simbasmom. That's exactly what the customer service representative I spoke with at Princess today told me to do. She said she'd never been asked before, but put me on hold for a bit to speak with a supervisor and then told me it would be fine, I'd just need to check with the CD or the music director when I got on board and they'd tell us when and where she could use a piano. I was very happy with the fast, helpful response from Princess customer service with what I know was a strange request. :)

One more question in light of that advice - should I just ask at the Purser's Desk how to find the CD or music director? Thanks so much for all the help!

One more question in light of that advice - should I just ask at the Purser's Desk how to find the CD or music director? Thanks so much for all the help!

You can leave messages for them at the Purser's desk. Or you can ask any of the CD's staff if he/she could page one of them for you.

I have an odd question for all you Ruby experts out there. My 12 year old daughter participated in a piano competition this past weekend and advanced to the regionals. The regional competition is going to be March 23rd and we're heading out on the Ruby for a week on March 10th. I talked to her piano teacher last night and she was not happy about the news that my daughter would be unable to practice for that week.

So, does anyone know if the pianos around the ship - such as in Crooners - are accessible when not being used by the professionals? I can imagine that they don't want kids banging on it, etc., so I'm guessing maybe not, but I thought maybe noone would mind if she went up there at a time when Crooners is closed and noone else is hanging around. Anybody ever tried to play the pianos on board?

Thanks -

mseldga, I just got off the phone with my son, who's sometimes music director on various Princess ships (not the Ruby, though). This question has come up before, and as I suspected, it's always allowed. Just so your daughter's aware, all the pianos are in public places, so when she plays, she'll probably draw a little audience. Our son says that while most players don't mind, a few don't like being "watched".

Simbasmom - How cool that your son is a music director on Princess ships! He must be a great source of information. Thanks so much for asking him about my question. I really appreciate the warning too, because my daughter - a typical preteen - might very well be self-conscious about having an audience. My being able to warn her ahead of time will prepare her and I'll just remind her that she'll have to play those pieces for a much more critical audience once we get home!

carabill - Thanks very much for the info on how to get in touch with the music director. Sounds simple enough!

What would I do without cruise critic? :)

Archived