Any help for newbie snorkelers?

luvfamvaca

Hoping for calm waters, never been on a catamaran before, we can swim but are not very strong swimmers, don't wish to fight current or swells, we attempted to compare but still cannot decide which is the best fit: Restless Native, SnorkelBermuda, Jesse James, Rising Son, Reef Comber, Aquatic Bermuda, Fantasea (are there even any colorful fish in Bermuda?)…we are in Dockyard, one overnight & one half day we also want to spend a nice amount of time at Horseshoe on one of those mornings.

Anyone wish to share info from your experiences to help us decide?:confused:

Hoping for calm waters, never been on a catamaran before, we can swim but are not very strong swimmers, don't wish to fight current or swells, we attempted to compare but still cannot decide which is the best fit: Restless Native, SnorkelBermuda, Jesse James, Rising Son, Reef Comber, Aquatic Bermuda, Fantasea (are there even any colorful fish in Bermuda?)…we are in Dockyard, one overnight & one half day we also want to spend a nice amount of time at Horseshoe on one of those mornings.

Anyone wish to share info from your experiences to help us decide?:confused:

If this is the case, you may be better off just going to Tobacco Bay and snorkeling there. And yes, there are colorful fish in Bermuda.

If this is the case, you may be better off just going to Tobacco Bay and snorkeling there. And yes, there are colorful fish in Bermuda.

Thank you for the links! You may very well have me sold on going to Tobacco Bay! Now I have to figure out if we can do that on departure day so we can visit Horseshoe on our full day? :confused:

Thank you for the links! You may very well have me sold on going to Tobacco Bay! Now I have to figure out if we can do that on departure day so we can visit Horseshoe on our full day? :confused:

I would be very careful...usually I don't recommend going to that general area (Tobacco Bay, St. George's, etc.) on departure day. Assuming this summer's ferry schedule looks something it has in the last couple of years, there will be only a small number of runs between Dockyard and St. George's, and the latest run that can get your back to your ship on time may be too early to warrant traveling all that distance to go snorkeling.

A couple of years ago we helped out a family that was going to miss their ship's departure because they didn't catch the proper ferry from St. George's. We directed them to the harbor master's office in St George's, and that office contacted the ship's captain, who fortunately agreed to delay departure until the next ferry run back to Dockyard. The passengers were greeted to a chorus of hoots from their fellow passengers as they ran from the ferry dock to Kings Wharf to board their ship. You don't want to put yourself in that situation, because the captain of your ship may not be willing to wait.

I would be very careful...usually I don't recommend going to that general area (Tobacco Bay, St. George's, etc.) on departure day. Assuming this summer's ferry schedule looks something it has in the last couple of years, there will be only a small number of runs between Dockyard and St. George's, and the latest run that can get your back to your ship on time may be too early to warrant traveling all that distance to go snorkeling.

A couple of years ago we helped out a family that was going to miss their ship's departure because they didn't catch the proper ferry from St. George's. We directed them to the harbor master's office in St George's, and that office contacted the ship's captain, who fortunately agreed to delay departure until the next ferry run back to Dockyard. The passengers were greeted to a chorus of hoots from their fellow passengers as they ran from the ferry dock to Kings Wharf to board their ship. You don't want to put yourself in that situation, because the captain of your ship may not be willing to wait.

Oh boy, thanks for letting me know that! I definitely do not wish to be on the you tube or something like that running in a panic to catch the ship!:o I guess we can possibly do Horseshoe Bay early departure day then and go to Tobacco on day one?

Oh boy, thanks for letting me know that! I definitely do not wish to be on the you tube or something like that running in a panic to catch the ship!:o I guess we can possibly do Horseshoe Bay early departure day then and go to Tobacco on day one?

Yes, you can do it that way.

Tobacco bay is ideal for a novice snorkeler, However...once you rent your equipment you are totally on your own, There will be no demonstration etc. A catamaran can be overwhelming but there are a few guidelines to help you choose the best one for you. Look for a description of the catamaran. They type that has a wide staircase that drops from the front deck has rope handrails that are easily managed. The type that you have to climb down a ladder off the back can be more difficult to manage your flippers etc. They are also more difficult to re-board if you are tired. Either way, be sure you allert a crew member about your inexperience. They are usually very helpful and will help you with your mask and snorkel. Conditions can change rapidly and can be unpredictable. Check to see if the itinaray is described as "open water", "off shore"", or "sheltered cove". Castle harbor is usually pretty calm even when swells have picked up in the Atlantic. If you use a snorkel vest (most outfits require that you wear one) avoid adding too much air. Too much air will make keeping your mask flat in the water more difficult as it will force your head up. Relax, enjoy your experience, and remember that the salt water keeps you much more boyant than fresh water.

Tobacco bay is ideal for a novice snorkeler, However...once you rent your equipment you are totally on your own, There will be no demonstration etc..............

True but there's not a whole lot to "get" about snorkeling.;) For a beginner, it's very easy to walk around in the shallow water at TB, get used to putting their face in the water and breathing through their mouth. Once they feel comfortable, they can venture out in the deeper water.:)

We went snorkeling only once, in the caribbean not to far off shore, we had the vests on, did fine with the masks too, water was calm & not much swimming so it worked out. We have teens & they loved that our guide let them steer the speed boat on the way to the cove.

We thought about the catamarans because we have never been on one and they look like fun, thought about the smaller snorkel tours too but don't know if going miles out to see for the shipwrecks is something that will thrill our crew. We are even considering the wild cat tour, trying to get information on it but all I find is a video online.

If we follow the map and walk the 5 beaches, is there anywhere to snorkel along the way?

Tobacco Bay seems to be such an aquarium, but we need a plan B just incase the weather isn't in our favor and we don't make it all the way there.

Our #1 is Horseshoe so if we only have one nice beach day that would be it! We have teens with us, they aren't big on historical tours so heading into Hamilton or St George isn't on the table this time. :(

If we follow the map and walk the 5 beaches, is there anywhere to snorkel along the way?

Tobacco Bay seems to be such an aquarium, but we need a plan B just incase the weather isn't in our favor and we don't make it all the way there.

Our #1 is Horseshoe so if we only have one nice beach day that would be it! We have teens with us, they aren't big on historical tours so heading into Hamilton or St George isn't on the table this time. :(

Not really. The path is above the beaches which are next to impossible to walk along the beach proper. None of the beaches are any good for snorkeling. You can always try Snorkel Park at Dockyard which has a small admission fee and is a man made beach. The name is a bit of a misnomer.;) There's also Church Bay which is good for snorkeling and not all that far from Dockyard except it tends to be rough.

Not really. The path is above the beaches which are next to impossible to walk along the beach proper. None of the beaches are any good for snorkeling. You can always try Snorkel Park at Dockyard which has a small admission fee and is a man made beach. The name is a bit of a misnomer.;) There's also Church Bay which is good for snorkeling and not all that far from Dockyard except it tends to be rough.

Thank you, that's what I thought. Snorkel Park is our last resort, I know many like it but if it took me this long to get to see beautiful Bermuda I would rather do it right :)

• 1 month later...

When we were in Bermuda in August my family snorkeled at Tabacco Bay and loved it. We were originally going to do Restless Native until my 19 yr old daughter said she would b scared to jump off the side of a boat out in the middle of the sea. lol We did it the first day and did Horseshoe the second as not to miss the ship. A word of caution stay off the rocks. At Tabacco there were rocks and my 16 yr old son stood on a low one in the water to take a picture but slipped and it cut open his whole back. At Horseshoe the next day I saw a grown woman crying and holding a towel to her face. She fell on the rocks and cut open her whole face.

DW is talking about a Bermuda cruise at the end of October this year; there'll be a night's stopover, and I was curious as to when it gets too cold for your average newbie snorkeler? I fear it will already be far past the mark for immersing one's body in the Autumn surf :eek: but I figured I'd ask anyway.

DW is talking about a Bermuda cruise at the end of October this year; there'll be a night's stopover, and I was curious as to when it gets too cold for your average newbie snorkeler? I fear it will already be far past the mark for immersing one's body in the Autumn surf :eek: but I figured I'd ask anyway.

It all depends on what you're used to or can tolerate. We always go to Bermuda in Oct. and the water has always been warm enough for us to snorkle. The water takes a while to warm up at the beginning of the season but it also stays warmer longer. Water will not usually be any colder than what the average water temp is at any of the beaches (NJ, Del, Md.) here at home in the summer.

http://www.bermudaweather.bm/octall.asp

You mentioned Jesse James and I recommend them highly. I've gone with them twice, the first time with a friend who was a first time snorkeler. Because there are multiple stops on their snorkel trip they start off at a place that works well for people who need to get use to using the equipment in shallow water before going out by a ship wreck etc. She found it to be a wonderful way to "get her feet wet".

Regardless of what you choose - enjoy Bermuda! She's lovely!!

Judy

never been on a catamaran before, we can swim but are not very strong swimmers,

Rent some equipment and go from the shore. See how comfortable you feel before you pay for an excursion and literally get in over your head.

I love to snorkel, have done it many times and am fairly confident yet always cautious. The reason for my advise is what happened our first time in Aruba many years ago. Lovely sailboat took me and DH to sheltered cove. It was shallow and the best assortment of fish I've ever seen.

Next stop was a shipwreck in 65 feet of water. At first I was very nervous but composed myself and saw marvelous sites. My DH didn't fare so well and had to be picked up by the rescue dingy.:eek:

Headed to Bermuda in June. I'll be doing the Bermuda Triangle snorkel. Hubby will be waiting for me. To this day he only goes in waist deep ocean water. :(

Rent some equipment and go from the shore. See how comfortable you feel before you pay for an excursion and literally get in over your head.

I love to snorkel, have done it many times and am fairly confident yet always cautious. The reason for my advise is what happened our first time in Aruba many years ago. Lovely sailboat took me and DH to sheltered cove. It was shallow and the best assortment of fish I've ever seen.

Next stop was a shipwreck in 65 feet of water. At first I was very nervous but composed myself and saw marvelous sites. My DH didn't fare so well and had to be picked up by the rescue dingy.:eek:

Headed to Bermuda in June. I'll be doing the Bermuda Triangle snorkel. Hubby will be waiting for me. To this day he only goes in waist deep ocean water. :(

I agree 100%.

Of course it's possible that a beginner could feel comfortable almost right away but why chance that they may not? Also, the OP said they were not strong swimmers. Tobacco Bay is the perfect spot to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Rising Son just posted a video online, looked so nice, says they go to 6' waters, that doesn't sound too crazy and it is a large steady catamaran, they have a few kayaks and a couple of paddle boats. Has anyone tried them? Pros/cons?

Thanks for any info.

Hi! I saw in your original post you mentioned Snorkel Bermuda. I haven't been to Bermuda before, but I read up on Snorkel Bermuda on TripAdvisor. Just in case you didn't see those reviews, I just wanted to let you know that people rave about the trip, but it's in open water and you're not provided with any flotation devices. I'm quite the fish :p so I'll probably book through them, but you might want to avoid that one if you're not really confident swimmers. Have fun!

We were there at the end of October (23rd) one year and we were in the water every day!! Of ourse we come from the NE where the ocean temps don't warm up until late July-early August. Also if you find the water too cold, investing in a rashguard shirt helps.

I went on the Rising Sun with a group of 11. The crew was amazing - friendly, helpful and pleasant. I would highly recommend them.

Just looking into them now, looks perfect! Which cruise line did you book them from?

I've done both Rising Son and Restless Native. Both have excellent staffs and offer a catamaran snorkle cruise that is NOT in 'open ocean'. They dock in 6-10 feet of water, right next to a small beach that has a coral reef. They give you a snorkel and mask and a 'noodle' and instructions on how to use them and you just walk down the little staircase into the water. You float over the reef and look down at the fish - and there are LOTS of them. If you get tired, you just swim (or float) over a few feet and you can just stand up on the sand or walk up to the shore. We didn't wear flippers, only water shoes, and they worked perfectly. They also protect your feet if you step on a rock or a piece of coral. Then, after you finish snorkelling, they give you a Rum Swizzle or soft drink and you enjoy the ride back to the ship. I can swim but am NOT a strong swimmer, plus I have a condition that causes muscle weakness, so if I can do it, anyone can. We swam at Horseshoe Bay and, although the beach is spectacular, I only saw one fish there. Try the Catamaran cruises, just be sure you choose the one that is NOT open ocean (NOT the shipwreck one).

Archived