Shore Excursions for Dominican, Curacao, and Aruba

LEAVINGNOW

Hi Everyone!

We need help, we are going to Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba and Grand Turk in August.

We need advise on Shore Excursions! We don't snorkel.

We have been to Grand Turk two years ago and rented golf carts from Nathan - Love it! Does anyone know if they are still there?

Please tell us what you enjoyed! Thanks!

Will be doing this itinerary in August..sorry can't give you advice but this is what we have planned ...Grand Turk..been there twice....will probably be doing the Segway tour and a stop at Jacks Shack.. we have not been to the other ports......La Romana...going to do an outside vendor tour...with Seavis....Curacao...outside vendor tour with Irie Tours and Aruba...undecided......

Yes, Nathan's golf carts are still there. The speedboat trip to Sanoa Island is really nice in DR. On GT reefs and rays was fun, or hang at Jacks Shack or Margharitaville. In Curaçao we took an island tour and ended up at a beach. Go to the ports of call boards for tons of info!

Hi,

We went to all three last spring. Being new ports for us we chose island tours to get a better feel for our next visit. Anyway, this is what we booked:

La Romana DR was a newish port. We didn’t see much that interested us, so we did the Bayahibe Resort beach break. It is a half hour thrill ride by bus. The resort is very nice. A huge pool, and a nice beach. Drinks were included. This is near Punta Cana.

In Curacao we did the Coastal and Country Drive. It was about four hours. Our guide was a very knowledgeable local and shared the islands history with us. We went to Boka Tabla on the north coast, visited a beautiful beach and a plantation. It was informative and we really enjoyed the tour of the island.

In Aruba we did the Best of Aruba and Beach tour. This takes you to the ex-natural bridge. But there is also a smaller one still there the locals call “Son of a Bridge”. The tour ends with an hour or so on the beach. The beaches are awesome.

Have a great cruise!!

2889795860086820861S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi,

We went to all three last spring. Being new ports for us we chose island tours to get a better feel for our next visit. Anyway, this is what we booked:

La Romana DR was a newish port. We didn’t see much that interested us, so we did the Bayahibe Resort beach break. It is a half hour thrill ride by bus. The resort is very nice. A huge pool, and a nice beach. Drinks were included. This is near Punta Cana.

In Curacao we did the Coastal and Country Drive. It was about four hours. Our guide was a very knowledgeable local and shared the islands history with us. We went to Boka Tabla on the north coast, visited a beautiful beach and a plantation. It was informative and we really enjoyed the tour of the island.

In Aruba we did the Best of Aruba and Beach tour. This takes you to the ex-natural bridge. But there is also a smaller one still there the locals call “Son of a Bridge”. The tour ends with an hour or so on the beach. The beaches are

Awesome.

Have a great cruise!!

2889795860086820861S600x600Q85.jpg

We did the coastal excursion in curaçao and it was a great way to see the island in Aruba, we spent the afternoon on the Blue Melody...you don't have to snorkel to enjoy this excursion. Beautiful sunset cruise. Have fun planning!

I definitely recommend a tour in D.R., my least favorite port of the four. We did an island tour thru Carnival which was good and then took the bus to the flea market BIG MISTAKE I have never seen such aggressive vendors in 35 cruises. I love shopping and buying my junky soveniers and at the flea market I was ready to leave after 10 minutes.

Hi Everyone!

We need help, we are going to Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba and Grand Turk in August.

We have been to Grand Turk two years ago and rented golf carts from Nathan - Love it! Does anyone know if they are still there?

We were docked at Grand Turk this January and you'll be happy to hear there were still golf carts being rented.

Curacao is one of the few ports where we actually enjoy just walking around in the port. It's a lovely port area with lots of the patio sort of bars/cafes overlooking the water ... fun place to people watch and chat with others.

Aruba is a great port! You might want to consider DePalm Island. Great for those who don't snorkel but would still like to see pretty fish. When you use one their little docks, you just walk down some real stairs about five steps and you're in water (just above my waist and I'm 5'3") with lots of fish. A swim mask is nice to have. The many Blue Parrot Fish are worth seeing. :)

Doninican Republic: Hate being a "Fun Sponge" ... but it is a place where we would rather stay on the ship due to safety issues. (On both of our port stops there, someone got mugged.) At the least either book an excursion thru the ship or with a well known independent and don't go wandering around on your own.

Have FUN planning your cruise and expect to have a GREAT time! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Hi Everyone!

I am also going to the same places in August on Carnival Breeze August 3, 2013. I am also trying to look around and see what we can do at the different ports.:)

There will be 4 women together so thanks for the heads up on the safety of Dominican Republic.

Just to reassure you that Bayahibe (a small, fishing village 15 minutes from La Romana port, Dominican Republic) is perfectly safe! You will not get mugged there! You can go to the public beach or stroll about the village without fear. Some of the gift shop sellers are enthusiastic but a polite and firm "no gracias" should do the trick.

Enjoy your time in Bayahibe!

Here's a map showing beach & restaurant locations

http://bayahibesup.com/bayahibe-map

• 1 month later...

we are going next week on the Carnival Breeze to these ports, my self, DH and DD, age 1.

At the Dominican we booked Proexcursion's Cruise Ship Passenger special. They have a nice website and quick email response too. The tour goes by boat to Saona island, has lunch buffet, and goes to the piscina natural.. which is what sold it for me! That looks amazing!

For Curacao, we get in at 2pm. We booked the Carnival's Beach Express, which takes you on a painted school bus to Blue Bay Beach for a few hours.

In Aruba, we are going to go to Eagle or Palm Beach by taxi. They are 10-15 min away from port. We bought a pop up sun tent for shading the baby.

In Grand Turk we may pay the $4/pp to go to Governor's Beach to have a quieter beach day. The videos look to sardine-like at the regular beach... cluttered with lounge chairs.

QUOTE=brickhousesm

Although you don't snorkel, I think it still would be a great tour. Carnival's beach tour is like $70. You get beautiful beaches and more on the Seavis tour for a couple of bucks more.

----------------------------------------------------

We seldom any longer snorkel BUT still love to take snorkel tours for the sail and to possibly swim around for a bit.

Just because a tour includes snorkeling, doesn't mean you HAVE to snorkel. :)

LuLu

~~~~

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and all of our port days were awesome!

Grand Turk - Jack's Shack

La Romona - Pro Excursions

Curacao - Irie Tour

Aruba - Off Road Adventure and Natural Pool

• 2 months later...
Hi Everyone!

They are still listed: Nathans’ Golf Cart, Car, Jeep & Scooter Rentals located in Grand Turk. Call 649-231-4856 or 649-244-1280 for rental information:)

We did this itinerary on the Feedom last July and just did it again on the Breeze last week! So, here's what we did:

Grand Turk: both times we just went to the free beach and Margaritavile pool just off the ship. Nice relaxing time without having to fork over money on an excursion.

La Romana, DR: last year we booked Seavis but did not go because we were having a huge thunderstorm when our ship docked so we just stayed on the ship. This year we booked the cruise ship special thru Pro Excursions. Awesome excursion! Best we've been on in a while! Can't say enough good things about the company, the owner's, the people running the tour, and the tour itself. It's basically the same tour as the Seavis excursion. The only exception being the beach you go to on Saona Island. We saw the Seavis beach, it was right beside the one the people on the cruise ships excursions go to. It was very crowded. Pro Excursions has their own private section just around the island a bit. Much less people!

Curaçao: last year we took the island tour with Irie. $20 a person and worth it! Nice tour for cheap. After the tour, we walked across the bridge into downtown to do some shopping. This year, we just walked and shopped in downtown since we'd already seen the island highlights last year.

Aruba: last year we did an island tour with Sonny Binns. Awesome tour! Sonny is a great guide. Very knowledgable and personable. His mini-bus was clean, comfortable and the air conditioner worked great! I would definitely recommend him to anyone! We had him drop us off at Eagle Beach after the tour. We took a cab back to the ship. This year, since we had already done the island tour last year, we just took a cab straight to Eagle Beach for a few hours. Then we took a cab to the marina downtown for lunch and walked back to the ship while doing some shopping.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...
LuLu Thanks!

There will be 4 women together so thanks for the heads up on the safety of Dominican Republic.

DePalm Island sounds great! Thanks!

Sounds like we're on the same cruise! I am going with my hubby, my 32 yr old daughter and my 16 year old grandson. I am still trying to sort out what we're going to do onshore. Did you come up with a plan? I emailedHenry "Leo" Plaate about a tour that was recommended in Curacao and I'm pretty interested in it. It hits all the notes we wanted to hit. Maybe we can compare notes onboard. Anyone else on that cruise that wants to meet up and talk excursions?

I was very happy with what we booked and did..

Grand Turk....we did the Segway tour and a visit to Jacks Shack...we sat on a beach with 25 people instead of thousands at Margaritaville. We played with Jack's dog Topher who swims with you.

Dominican Republic....Just have a plan in place....what we saw on out tour was beautiful. We did the Saona Island tour with Seacis and Kirsten was our tour guide along with her dog Zion. It was a highlight of our cruise.

Curacao...Irie Tours,,,was a nice cheap tour $20 bucks....however I did not like the beach we went too...Seaquarium.....it was mobbed with the thousand of our rude cruise passengers who were putting their cigarette butss out in the water.

Aruba.....we did the jeep tour to the Natural Pool which was fabulous..........

Archived