RCL really worth twice as much $$ as Carnival?

I have a question that is somewhat related, but I thought of it while reading these posts...I believe the Allure and Oasis are sister ships; right? are there any significant differences between those two specific ships? I am booked for October on Allure

the Freedom class on RCI is comparable to the Carnival Dream? I have sailed on the Dream once and found it a little overwhelming actually...but from what I am reading here, Carnival Dream is a smaller ship than RCI Allure; am I right?

Finally, are Allure and Oasis the biggest ships RCI currently has? Are they still the largest cruise ships sailing currently?

Thnks for any feedback all you veteran cruisers can provde :)

We've sailed both and would do either one again. Our last two were on the Dream & the Navigator, we felt like the food & entertainment were both better on the Dream. Can't speak for the Freedom, but we'll be on her next year! Good luck!

I have a question that is somewhat related, but I thought of it while reading these posts...I believe the Allure and Oasis are sister ships; right? are there any significant differences between those two specific ships? I am booked for October on Allure

Not a big difference with the two. Oasis has the Seafood Shack and Doughnut Shoppe on the Boardwalk and Allure has Rita's Cantina and the Dog House. Allure has Samba's where the Oasis has the Solarium Bistro for dinner. They both offer the Solarium Bistro for breakfast and lunch. A few other small things here and there but nothing huge.

the Freedom class on RCI is comparable to the Carnival Dream? I have sailed on the Dream once and found it a little overwhelming actually...but from what I am reading here, Carnival Dream is a smaller ship than RCI Allure; am I right?

The Dream is smaller than RCI's Freedom class but carries more passengers. Yes, Allure is a good size larger than the Carnival Dream.

Finally, are Allure and Oasis the biggest ships RCI currently has? Are they still the largest cruise ships sailing currently?

Thnks for any feedback all you veteran cruisers can provde :)

Yes the Oasis twins are the largest cruise ships in service to date by a good bit.

A balcony for 2 on the Freedom is less than $3,000.

A balcony for a family of 4 on the Freedom is $4000+.

A balcony for a family of 4 on the Dream is a little of $2600.

In answer to the OP's question...I have sailed on the Oasis, Freedom, and multiple Carnival ships. Both lines are very nice. Royal has a lot of bells and whistles that aren't found on Carnival, but that doesn't mean that you'd enjoy it more.

We've never been disappointed with Carnival, and with a huge price difference, I'd definately say go with the Dream

A balcony for 2 on the Freedom is less than $3,000.

A balcony for a family of 4 on the Freedom is $4000+.

A balcony for a family of 4 on the Dream is a little of $2600.

Thank you!! I didnt know where they were getting those prices, cause if that was the case I'm sign n up for the Freedom right now.

We are looking at a cruise to the Carribean in April 2013. Family of 4 - we are late 51 and 46, kids 10 and 6.

Our options/preferences are Carnival Dream and RCL Freedom of Seas or Oasis. Not sure we really like mega look of Oasis particularly stark central park indoor area but Freedom looks nice.

But real question for others is how can RCl justify double the price for a balcony cabin? If anyone has travelled on both lines/comparable ships is it really worth that much more?

thanks

David

Now I know I will get slammed for this, but after sailing on both cruise lines, each time we go back to a Royal Cruise, we realize its the little things that make the most difference. We have found ourselves saying multiple times, "well, they don't do that on Carnival". I just like the service, attitude, atmosphere.

I have described it to people in this manner. Carnival is to Dollar Tree as Royal Caribbean is to Target. Two totally different lines, and completely different in how they represent their respective lines. Does that make any sense?

In knowing that, I would and have paid more for a RCCL cruise, or just not cruise at all if Carnival was my only other option.

Either way you decide, HAVE FUN!!

I would not really compare the ships or lines, especially with Oasis-class...there's nothing really like it. As for balcony prices, you have to remember that many (most?) RCL passengers get discounts on balconies, and probably have additional on-board credits as well. We were able to get a Boardwalk balcony (including discounts and credits) on Oasis for the same price as the posted price on an inside, though this can vary depending on time of year.

There are other ways to save too...consider inside staterooms (or get a balcony for yourself, and put the kids across the hall in an inside stateroom). The boardwalk and central park balconies are fairly reasonable. Freedom class balconies may actually be a little more depending on sailing, because percentage-wise, there are fewer than on Oasis class. Supply/demand dictates the price for the most part.

Carnival Dream should be a nice ship too. If that's what works best for your family, then go with that, and enjoy the cruise. I don't think you or the kids will be disappointed with either ship or cruise line, so enjoy your vacation.

Thanks everyone for thoughts. I should have mentioned we are from Australia. As such when I look at a number of sites the best we can get for RCCL Freedom for 4 of us on April 21 sail is about $4600. CCL Dream or Breeze is about $2200 through OS agents. Interesting is when I try amd book direct with RCCL if I am US resident is $4000 but if not $4800. carnival doesn't seem to matter. I think we will have to miss RCCl this time round.

DW and I have sailed Dream and are sailing Freedom in September. When I booked Freedom for 9/1/13 date, it was $50 cheaper than dream for 8/31/13 date. RCI had a resident rate, plus RCI had a $125 savings certificate for that ship/date through the loyalty program. So, RCI is not always the highest.

Just pick your ship and enjoy your cruise.:D

posting on my darling boyfriend's behalf, he has gone on 8 + cruises (our recent one on the Allure was his 9th) and he's done princess, carnival, and norweigian and he LOVED Royal Caribbean. He was thoroughly impressed with the service, the food, the entertainment, and the overall atmosphere and could see the justification in the amount of the total cost of the cruise. He liked that they didn't always play the typical cruise music (i.e. steel drum island music). They had it on the Allure but it was occasional. He liked how clean and sharp the ship looked as a whole package. Even said to me "won't be sailing Carnival anytime soon" [not meant in a negative way].

We are looking at a cruise to the Carribean in April 2013. Family of 4 - we are late 51 and 46, kids 10 and 6.

Our options/preferences are Carnival Dream and RCL Freedom of Seas or Oasis. Not sure we really like mega look of Oasis particularly stark central park indoor area but Freedom looks nice.

But real question for others is how can RCl justify double the price for a balcony cabin? If anyone has travelled on both lines/comparable ships is it really worth that much more?

thanks

David

While I prefer Royal and would pay more to cruise RCL than CCL, I would not pay DOUBLE. If that's what you're looking at, then no. It's not worth DOUBLE the price.

The short answer, in my opinion, is that RCI is not worth twice as much as Carnival, nor does it normally cost twice as much. If you see that much difference in a particular comparison, it's just because of supply and demand for the particular cruises you happen to be looking at. For the times I've compared similar RCI vs. CCL itineraries, they have normally been close in price.

Archived