Ms Volendam: 1st HAL cruise, tips/advice?

lovely_serenity

Why? Have there been a lot of cutbacks?

Have there been cutbacks? Let me count the ways...

Fewer stewards in the dining room for the number of passengers to be served.

More cabins for those stewards to service.

Fewer stewards in the lounges.

Food quality has gone down.

Fewer, poorer quality prizes at activities.

Fewer activities.

Earlier closing hours in the lounges.

No more beverage cards with a built-in bonus.

I could go on, but it gets depressing.

The fact is, though, that HAL does still offer a good product, and the value is still there, if not the former standards. The crew is as helpful as they always were. They try their very best to deliver, and usually with a smile and a good word.

That sounds right from what I remember last year.

The second formal night had the lobster and steak main course if I remember correctly.

So, if I booked the dinner at Le Cirque, which is Sunday, Glacier Bay night, then we miss out on one of the formal nights in the main dining room. Hmmm, that doesn't seem fair!

Hi, this is my first time going on a Holland America cruise (we're going to Alaska) and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any special information such as menus on board or secrets/tricks specially geared toward to ship. As well as where I'd be able to access complementary food/snacks/drinks outside of meals.

If anyone could be of help, I'd be vey much appreciated! :)

My tip is "Don't book a Category H (or Cat G) Guarantee)!!!!

The crew. :)

Frankly, after the last several years of changes in the HAL product, the crew is the only thing that sets it apart from other cruise lines. :(

I totally agree. Over the years we have seen standards decline, food decline service decline, maintenance decline I could go on) but the one thing that stays constant is the friendly and hard-working crew. so I guess HAL must be doing something right - that's what keeps us coming back. But we still do go to another cruise line now and then, so we are able to make comparisons. It's just the crew now that makes HAL stand out.

Have there been cutbacks? Let me count the ways...

Fewer stewards in the dining room for the number of passengers to be served.

More cabins for those stewards to service.

Fewer stewards in the lounges.

Food quality has gone down.

Fewer, poorer quality prizes at activities.

Fewer activities.

Earlier closing hours in the lounges.

No more beverage cards with a built-in bonus.

I could go on, but it gets depressing.

The fact is, though, that HAL does still offer a good product, and the value is still there, if not the former standards. The crew is as helpful as they always were. They try their very best to deliver, and usually with a smile and a good word.

Awh, that's disappointing, because my parents went on a HAL cruise in Europe a couple years back and were extremely impressed, I guess I won't be experiencing the same awesomeness?

I totally agree. Over the years we have seen standards decline, food decline service decline, maintenance decline I could go on) but the one thing that stays constant is the friendly and hard-working crew. so I guess HAL must be doing something right - that's what keeps us coming back. But we still do go to another cruise line now and then, so we are able to make comparisons. It's just the crew now that makes HAL stand out.

How would you rate the quality of the food out of 10 (in your opinion), considering all the cutbacks? Is it still of superior quality compared to quite a few other cruise lines?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
Hi, this is my first time going on a Holland America cruise (we're going to Alaska) and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any special information such as menus on board or secrets/tricks specially geared toward to ship. As well as where I'd be able to access complementary food/snacks/drinks outside of meals.

Hi Welcome! food available almost 24 hrs a day.Ice tea/lemonade coffee and tea free as well as juice and milk for breakfast menu on all cruiselines seems repetitive. if you go on your account/ship you can se the specialty restaurants menu (extra charge). Don't worry you will eat very well!!

Guys, this is an ancient thread which looks like maybe it got bumped to the top page by either a spam post (subsequently deleted) or an unwitting board member. It is pretty much a waste of time buoying it more, since so much has changed on the Volendam in the last 5 years.