Ms Volendam: 1st HAL cruise, tips/advice?

lovely_serenity

Hi, this is my first time going on a Holland America cruise (we're going to Alaska) and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any special information such as menus on board or secrets/tricks specially geared toward to ship. As well as where I'd be able to access complementary food/snacks/drinks outside of meals.

If anyone could be of help, I'd be vey much appreciated! :)

Hi, this is my first time going on a Holland America cruise (we're going to Alaska) and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any special information such as menus on board or secrets/tricks specially geared toward to ship. As well as where I'd be able to access complementary food/snacks/drinks outside of meals.

If anyone could be of help, I'd be vey much appreciated! :)

For an excellent sightseeing area that many do not find, go into the gym and on the port side, there is a door at the front of the room that will lead to an outdoor wing that is above the Bridge.

Excellent ice cream is available for free in the Lido Restaurant most of the day. Different liquors and ice cream toppings are also available.

Hot snacks are served in the bars during Happy Hour times. Also, the bars will have nuts available; on formal nights, the nuts served are mixed nuts.

The Terrace Grill serves hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, french fries, I think other meats are available for sandwiches, pizza (3 different kinds, usually), and taco fixings. All included in your fare.

Enjoy the art work and decor; the Volendam's decor theme is Flowers.

The Volendam is a lovely ship. Enjoy!

Check out the "secret deck" on the aft of the Navigation Deck. Great area to watch for whales, with hardly any other company, and the wind is blocked so it is often very comfortable viewing. Excellent wake views. You can access it by following the passenger hallways all the way back on the Navigation deck, or walk out past the aft pool and down the staircase to the deck. Grab some deck blankets from around the aft pool, bundle up, hot beverage in hand, and bring your binoculars/camera.

Love the cinnamon ice cream, chocolate croissants, and fresh OJ in the Lido, along with the omelet station where you can get whatever your heart desires put in your omelet every morning.

Enjoy your Alaska sailing - it is an amazing place with stunning scenery, magnificent glaciers, and plentiful wildlife. Be on deck sailing into Juneau - excellent opportunity to see whales thru Stephens Passage.

There really is no "outside of meal hours" since room service is there for you 24/7! :D

But, here's another idea. Before the movie in Wajang Theatre, there's bags of popcorn put out. You don't have to stay to watch the movie! Just grab a bag (or two, or three), and bring them outside to watch the scenery go by.

Or keep them in your cabin for one of those pesky food emergencies. ;)

There really is no "outside of meal hours" since room service is there for you 24/7! :D

But, here's another idea. Before the movie in Wajang Theatre, there's bags of popcorn put out. You don't have to stay to watch the movie! Just grab a bag (or two, or three), and bring them outside to watch the scenery go by.

Or keep them in your cabin for one of those pesky food emergencies. ;)

Now I know why when I go to the movies, there is often no popcorn left for me!

Yes, enjoying the insider info! This will be my first cruise -- Volendam on June 26 -- but my second time through the inside passage. Looking forward to being pampered as last time it was via Alaskan ferries and backpack many years ago!

What is the spa like? Is it worth it?

Yes, enjoying the insider info! This will be my first cruise -- Volendam on June 26 -- but my second time through the inside passage. Looking forward to being pampered as last time it was via Alaskan ferries and backpack many years ago!

What is the spa like? Is it worth it?

Oh that's cool! It'll be my third Alaskan cruise haha :) but my first time on HAL.

From what I hear, most people who go for the spa treatment on cruises usually get their moneys worth!

Edited by lovely_serenity

For an excellent sightseeing area that many do not find, go into the gym and on the port side, there is a door at the front of the room that will lead to an outdoor wing that is above the Bridge.

Excellent ice cream is available for free in the Lido Restaurant most of the day. Different liquors and ice cream toppings are also available.

Hot snacks are served in the bars during Happy Hour times. Also, the bars will have nuts available; on formal nights, the nuts served are mixed nuts.

The Terrace Grill serves hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, french fries, I think other meats are available for sandwiches, pizza (3 different kinds, usually), and taco fixings. All included in your fare.

Enjoy the art work and decor; the Volendam's decor theme is Flowers.

The Volendam is a lovely ship. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for all the helpful info! :)

If you have time - do the art tour on the ship. You can download it onto an ipod from the HAL website and/or if you are not bringing your ipod - they will lend you one to use for the tour. It's very interesting and gives you a new understanding/appreciation of the art onboard:D

From what I hear, most people who go for the spa treatment on cruises usually get their moneys worth!

From what I read, the spa is a 'hard sell' to try to get you to purchase their products. It is suggested you be prepared with a response so they will leave you alone.

If you have time - do the art tour on the ship. You can download it onto an ipod from the HAL website and/or if you are not bringing your ipod - they will lend you one to use for the tour. It's very interesting and gives you a new understanding/appreciation of the art onboard:D

Thanks for the tip!!! Is this offered on all HAL ships?

Thanks for the tip!!! Is this offered on all HAL ships?

It's supposed to be.

I did ask to borrow the iPod on the Prinsendam, as I wanted to do the tour, but the person I asked didn't know what I was talking about.

Either the Prinsendam doesn't have it, or I spoke with the wrong person.

We did our first ever cruise on the Volendam last year, and to Alaska too.

We loved the ship, and while the majority of the secrets have already been mentioned, here's a few more:

Laundry - You're bound to want to wash something at some point. The machines on the floor with the suites are the least used (check the deck plan). Also be very wary of the tumble dryers, they run very hot and if you have time to let things air dry then do so. I had to stretch out a polo shirt as it came out considerably shorter than it used to be!

Pinnacle Grill - Try it, at least for lunch (which you can't book until your on board the ship by calling the reservations line) which is $10 per person instead of $25 for dinner. We didn't bother and then tried a Pinnacle Grill sample at a cooking demonstration on one of the last days. Trust me, we've already booked our dinner reservation for our next cruise!

Skagway - If you do one excursion, do the train from Skagway up into the mountains. We didn't do it, which was in hindsight a big mistake. Lots of people raving about that excursion afterwards, we heard it non-stop from our dining room friends for the rest of the voyage.

Ketchikan - It'll probably rain. Bring waterproofs and you won't be miserable.

Food - Key thing - remember you can go back onboard for lunch and then come out again if you decide to have a port day. Oh and try the club sandwich from room service, it's really good and isn't served elsewhere. Specifically we've come back onboard from a trip and simply ordered room service for lunch outside of the normal meal times and it was fantastic.

If you make your way out to the forecastle while in Glacier Bay you'll get a wonderful unobstructed panoramic view. Just remember to wrap up warm though as it was snowing in parts of Glacier Bay when we were in there.

It's supposed to be.

I did ask to borrow the iPod on the Prinsendam, as I wanted to do the tour, but the person I asked didn't know what I was talking about.

It is on the Prinsendam too. I have used it. Ask the CD they usually know about it. I did download it as well for Veendam and going to for the Volendam too.

BTW - The chocolate chip cookies and bread pudding are to die for as well as the Cinnamon icecream.

Edited by falcon10156

It's supposed to be.

I sure wish I had read about this before our two cruises on HAL. If we ever cruise on HAL again, I hope to remember this. Thanks!!

We did our first ever cruise on the Volendam last year, and to Alaska too.

We loved the ship, and while the majority of the secrets have already been mentioned, here's a few more:

Laundry - You're bound to want to wash something at some point. The machines on the floor with the suites are the least used (check the deck plan). Also be very wary of the tumble dryers, they run very hot and if you have time to let things air dry then do so. I had to stretch out a polo shirt as it came out considerably shorter than it used to be!

Pinnacle Grill - Try it, at least for lunch (which you can't book until your on board the ship by calling the reservations line) which is $10 per person instead of $25 for dinner. We didn't bother and then tried a Pinnacle Grill sample at a cooking demonstration on one of the last days. Trust me, we've already booked our dinner reservation for our next cruise!

Skagway - If you do one excursion, do the train from Skagway up into the mountains. We didn't do it, which was in hindsight a big mistake. Lots of people raving about that excursion afterwards, we heard it non-stop from our dining room friends for the rest of the voyage.

Ketchikan - It'll probably rain. Bring waterproofs and you won't be miserable.

Food - Key thing - remember you can go back onboard for lunch and then come out again if you decide to have a port day. Oh and try the club sandwich from room service, it's really good and isn't served elsewhere. Specifically we've come back onboard from a trip and simply ordered room service for lunch outside of the normal meal times and it was fantastic.

If you make your way out to the forecastle while in Glacier Bay you'll get a wonderful unobstructed panoramic view. Just remember to wrap up warm though as it was snowing in parts of Glacier Bay when we were in there.

Where is this forecastle you speak of? :D It sounds lovely! Also, I heard that you can order from the dinner menu in room service during the evening hours, is that true?

From what I read, the spa is a 'hard sell' to try to get you to purchase their products. It is suggested you be prepared with a response so they will leave you alone.

Enjoy your spa and at the end, politely refuse their products and say "I'm not interested, but thank you ^^" and run away :D haha

Edited by lovely_serenity

Where is this forecastle you speak of? :D It sounds lovely! Also, I heard that you can order from the dinner menu in room service during the evening hours, is that true?

The forecastle is the big open space on the front of the ship (pronounced foac-sul). If I remember right, you access it through a door right at the front of the lower promenade deck. While in Glacier Bay they serve hot chocolate and warm pea soup out there as well.

With regards to the main dining room, I thought it was quite good. Theres some standard menu items which are served every night, but the majority change every evening. Here is a link to the menus on the Amsterdam from Alaska last year, I remember the Volendam being different but similar. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674710.

My particular favourites included the surf and turf on the second formal night (which included lobster), although I'm personally craving the french onion soup and the basked alaska (which they change the flavours of on a daily basis) ahead of my upcoming cruise in a month and a half. I thoroughly recommend the main dining room for dinner over the lido, it's pretty much the same food to a certain extent at both, its just that the main dining room is so nice that its worth taking the time for.

Where is this forecastle you speak of?

He's talking about going out on the bow of the ship for an expansive view.

You can access the bow from the Lower Promenade Deck by climbing a flight of stairs. Or, you can access it from inside on Promenade Deck by walking through the show lounge.

Also, could anyone tell me about the food onboard in the Main Dining Room? Any recollection of the types of food served and the quality? (: I'm a real foodie.

We considered the food to be very good banquet food. You have to understand that they are cooking for large numbers of people and you are not going to get individually prepared meals. I am not a foodie, so I was very pleased with the offerings. (I am vegetarian) If I don't have to cook, I tend to love the food. Out of 21 days sailing on HAL, there was only one vegetarian entree I didn't care for and my DH enjoyed every meal. My DH is more of a foodie and he did like the food on HAL way better than on NCL. However, you can expect sauces to be quite salty as is typical of banquet meals. I hope you find he food to your satisfaction. Enjoy your cruise!!!

We did Voledam to New Zealand/Australia. I had a delightful salt wrap/massage in the spa and there was no hard sell.....in fact, I wasn't asked to purchase anything. Perhaps it depends on the cruise and the type of spa service you request. I did notice they had several very high end services offered (tooth whitening, botex, etc.) I couldn't imagine spending my cruise money for those but to each his own!

Also, self-serve laundry was wonderful. Take a roll of quarters with you. It avoids having to request change. I became queen of the laundry area because I remembered to bring dryer sheets with me! It was fun to share with everyone.

Can I download it from the HAL website to my i-phone and, if so, how? Or do I have to download it to i-Tunes on my computer first?

The forecastle is the big open space on the front of the ship (pronounced foac-sul). If I remember right, you access it through a door right at the front of the lower promenade deck. While in Glacier Bay they serve hot chocolate and warm pea soup out there as well.

With regards to the main dining room, I thought it was quite good. Theres some standard menu items which are served every night, but the majority change every evening. Here is a link to the menus on the Amsterdam from Alaska last year, I remember the Volendam being different but similar. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674710.

My particular favourites included the surf and turf on the second formal night (which included lobster), although I'm personally craving the french onion soup and the basked alaska (which they change the flavours of on a daily basis) ahead of my upcoming cruise in a month and a half. I thoroughly recommend the main dining room for dinner over the lido, it's pretty much the same food to a certain extent at both, its just that the main dining room is so nice that its worth taking the time for.

Wow! Thanks for the great info! I do plan on having the fixed dining option and eating mostly in the MDR. I'll also be sure to check out the forecastle :)

(Btw nice link ^^)