Ms Volendam: 1st HAL cruise, tips/advice?

lovely_serenity

We considered the food to be very good banquet food. You have to understand that they are cooking for large numbers of people and you are not going to get individually prepared meals. I am not a foodie, so I was very pleased with the offerings. (I am vegetarian) If I don't have to cook, I tend to love the food. Out of 21 days sailing on HAL, there was only one vegetarian entree I didn't care for and my DH enjoyed every meal. My DH is more of a foodie and he did like the food on HAL way better than on NCL. However, you can expect sauces to be quite salty as is typical of banquet meals. I hope you find he food to your satisfaction. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thanks, I will! I actually have heard that the food on NCL was pretty bad compared to HAL ^^'

And i do hope the food will be to my liking, I'm very easily happy anyhow (:

I think you have to stick it in iTunes first

Well, it appeared to have been downloaded to something, but I cannot find to what. It is not on my phone and I can't find it in-tunes. Any idea where I might find it on the computer? Help!

Well, it appeared to have been downloaded to something, but I cannot find to what. It is not on my phone and I can't find it in-tunes. Any idea where I might find it on the computer? Help!

I managed to find it on my computer, but how do I transfer it to either i-Tunes or my i-phone? Anyone know?

Are the formal nights on the 'first Inside Passage' day, Thursday -- and the Glacier Bay day, Sunday?

We want to book the Pinnacle but not on a formal night.

Also -- do they still have 'Tea' in the afternoons? If so - what lounge ?

Thank you!

Are the formal nights on the 'first Inside Passage' day, Thursday -- and the Glacier Bay day, Sunday?

Thank you!

I'm not sure but I heard that the night on the At Sea day (Inside Passage) is formal. Not sure about second.

Thank you!

Tea is usually served in part of the MDR on most HAL ships around 3:00pm.

Is it an mp3 file?

It is in an i-phone5 file on the computer. The audio is saved, according to the download, in an MP 3 file. I can't figure out how to transfer the i-phone 5 file from the computer to the phone or even to i-tunes.

It is in an i-phone5 file on the computer. The audio is saved, according to the download, in an MP 3 file. I can't figure out how to transfer the i-phone 5 file from the computer to the phone or even to i-tunes.

In iTunes, go to FILE-ADD FILE TO LIBRARY. Then find your .mp3 file and it will show up in your Library.

Then, depending on your set up, you either click sync or drag and drop the file from you library onto your phone (which will show up in the iTunes menu on the left).

What is served at the High Teas I hear so much about?

Dutch High tea - has tea and sandwiches and sweets. All Dutch style in buffet then sat down in MDR and we were served tea

English High Tea - is scones, cream and jelly and of course tea. Served with white gloves when we had it.

There was also a nice Indonesian Tea on my last cruise on the Veendam. Rice balls were amazing. I also liked the cinnamon tasting tea. They also had other Indonesian sweets and other types of teas. The servers were dressed in traditional Indonesian clothes - very nice.

Hope this helps.

Dutch High tea - has tea and sandwiches and sweets. All Dutch style in buffet then sat down in MDR and we were served tea

English High Tea - is scones, cream and jelly and of course tea. Served with white gloves when we had it.

There was also a nice Indonesian Tea on my last cruise on the Veendam. Rice balls were amazing. I also liked the cinnamon tasting tea. They also had other Indonesian sweets and other types of teas. The servers were dressed in traditional Indonesian clothes - very nice.

Hope this helps.

Yeah it does, thanks!

I heard that you can access special types of snacks at around 11pm to 12am at night, what kinds of food are there and is it every night? Something about Philippino snacks or something?

Its served in the lido restaurant. Theres different food on each night, and they do Philippino food one of the nights. I think its the same night that they do the Philippino entertainment in the show lounge.

Also regarding the high teas - we only did one and it was a cupcake high tea - it was good but we often found that we meant to go to more of them but kept finding other things clashing with it or we were simply ashore at the time.

Thank you!

That sounds right from what I remember last year.

The second formal night had the lobster and steak main course if I remember correctly.

Its served in the lido restaurant. Theres different food on each night, and they do Philippino food one of the nights. I think its the same night that they do the Philippino entertainment in the show lounge.

Also regarding the high teas - we only did one and it was a cupcake high tea - it was good but we often found that we meant to go to more of them but kept finding other things clashing with it or we were simply ashore at the time.

Oh cool! & how many different kinds of High Teas are there? Do you remember any?

Oh cool! & how many different kinds of High Teas are there? Do you remember any?

Depends on how many days? We did have a type of tea served in MDR almost everyday of our 17 day cruise at 3:00pm. Perfect break in the day before dinner and after lunch. :)

There are no high teas on the ship. Afternoon (low) tea is held daily.

There will be an assortment of small, open faced sandwiches, pound cakes, scones w/choice of marmelade or jam and whipped cream, and other desserts.

Some of the low teas are specialty teas. During the course of the cruise there may be Royal Dutch tea, Indonesian, and cupcake tea. On a mid-length cruise all three will be held.

There are no high teas on the ship. Afternoon (low) tea is held daily.

There will be an assortment of small, open faced sandwiches, pound cakes, scones w/choice of marmelade or jam and whipped cream, and other desserts.

Some of the low teas are specialty teas. During the course of the cruise there may be Royal Dutch tea, Indonesian, and cupcake tea. On a mid-length cruise all three will be held.

"

Afternoon Tea Service

For more than 400 years, tea has been a civilized respite from the workaday world. For Holland America Line, tea time is as much about time as it is about tea -- time to sit with friends, time to talk, and time to savor.

We offer several types of tea services onboard our cruises: daily casual tea, Royal Dutch High Tea, and Indonesian Afternoon Tea. Tea schedules vary for each sailing, so your cruise could include a combination of some or all of these types of tea."

From Holland America Site - http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=Tea

not sure if link will work but the Royal Dutch High Tea is amazing

Edited by falcon10156

Are there any secret spots i can get snacks in between meals? Like places i won't know about unless i am first priorly notified?

Not really a secret but the Terrace Bar serves food in the afternoon - hamburgs, hotdogs, nachos, etc.

Of course, there is always room service. Pretty hard to starve on the ship;)

In your opinion, what is the absolute best thing about HAL that sets it apart from other cruise lines?

The crew. :)

Frankly, after the last several years of changes in the HAL product, the crew is the only thing that sets it apart from other cruise lines. :(