Travel Insurance

Suntanz

Sailing on the Dream with my family March 30th. I had been debating whether to purchase travel insurance in case of emergency. With the recent problems that Carnival is having, should I be safe & puchase travel insurance? Any thoughts would be helpful.

There are policies that will cover more than just the cruise. You can get a policy that will cover your flight (if you're flying to a port), lost or damaged luggage, and even certain medical costs. A good place to start is insuremytrip.com. You can do a side-by-side comparison of several different policies, see what is covered and the cost, and choose the one that best suits your needs.

Thanks. I did go on insuremytrip.com and priced comparisons. I am not flying to the port, I am driving. I am just concerned with problems Carnival is having recently, should I be safe & take out travel insurance.

You should take out the insurance anyway.

What if someone gets hurt and needs a special flight back to the US?

One of those flights can cost more than a house.

Agree 100%........we would never consider leaving US soil without trip insurance. Too many things can happen that we nothing to do with recent events.

Having the insurance really saved us a bundle on a cruise a few years ago. My DS wasn't paying attention and stood up fast from the couch, hit his head hard on the pulldown bunk that wasn't put back up into the ceiling causing a gash in his head. We would have had a bill for over $900 if we didn't have insurance since our deductable wasn't satified for the year. Same cruise, my parents had a brand new travel laptop and printer, the ship had a power surge of some kind and fried the both. The insurance replaced it. I'm not sure whoch level we ad then, but we really don't cruise without good insurance now!

I can see a healthy young single or couple deciding to risk it and cruise without travel insurance -- although I wouldn't personally leave the US without coverage even then. But for a family it seems a no-brainer; I'd get the insurance. And it really has nothing to do with Carnival's recent problems.

Typically the insurance will cover any prepaid costs. It will usually include things such as lost luggage and delays, with daily allowances for food and lodging under certain circumstances. But the most important item to me is emergency evacuation in event of a medical emergency. I would not want to be stranded in the Caribbean with a bust leg or cracked vertebra or head injury, dependent upon whatever medical care was available. Forget that.

Yes get it. Not for "Carnival problems" but for sure for medical emergencies.

We've never left the country without it. If I am cruising and I or one of my kids get hurt, I want to be flown to the good ol' USA for treatment....not some little place in Jamaica. :eek:

Yes, a great idea to have. I prefer a private policy instead of the cruise lines. We were on The Crown Princess last year that returned early due to the Noro-virus outbreak. We were able to stay in Fort Lauderdale and finish our vacation. If we had had Princess insurance our only option would have been to fly home two days early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always purchased insurance - travel and medical - never used it. Had 14 day cruise booked and final payment paid for January 2013! Diagnosed with a brain tumour (not malignat thank goodness) on Novembr 28/12. Operated on December 10/12 and some complications thereafter. Insurance covered air fare and full cost of cruise.

Unfortunately we do not have a crystal ball to see in the future. You could have medical problems on the cruise or prior which make it impossible to take booked cruise.

My oldest son and DIL who travel mainly with Carnival (a shareholder) thought I was always wasting my money. Now - he sees the benefit and will also start purchasing insurance:)

I always suggest insurance. A couple of years ago we stopped by the doctor on the way to the airport for our 12 night Disney cruise in Europe. Thought my 4 year old sprained his ankle. Ended up being a bone infection and he spent three nights in the hospital. We never even got to start the vacation but if I had not purchased insurance we would have been out $$$$$.

Archived