Just off Fantasy 7 day!

bakechef

Just debarked the Fantasy 7 day out of Charleston SC, Mar 10-17th. I have been wanting to sail a Fantasy class ship, but unwilling to do less than a 7 day cruise, I was excited to find this cruise and it's only a 4 hour drive from my house! WIN WIN!

No pictures on this review, I barely took any at all, I'm usually a shutterbug, but this time just used my smartphone.

Embarkation

This was crazy easy for us, one of our travel mates had a connection at the port, we got a VIP van from the parking warehouse and were lead to the VIP check in, don't ask me how this happened, 'cause I don't know but it got us from the car on to the ship in less than 20 minutes flat! We arrived at about 12:30, or 1:00, much later than I wanted to, one of our travel mates has a way with being unorganized and she was driving... At this time embarkation looked like it would have taken a long time, there was a long line at the terminal and 3 shuttle buses waiting to let people off. Show up early, when we were on the NCL Majesty in '07 embarkation was very easy because we were quite early.

Ship

This ship, as most will know is the oldest in Carnival's fleet. She looked really good for her age. I'm comparing this to another older ship that I have sailed (NCL Majesty) and this ship felt much younger. The lido buffet, many public areas and public restrooms, all looked very nice and updated. The Atrium was one sore spot, it looked very dated and quite cheap during the day, lots of plastic that had yellowed a bit with age and the skylight had lots of peeling paint. At night it looked much better all lit up (still dated though). None of these things impacted my cruise in the least. The stairwell areas could use an update too. The Celebration dining room, the one used for "your time" dining was updated as well, we had breakfast there one day. Our assigned dining room, the Jubilee dining room had not received the same updates, but was again in good condition, even if dated in decor. All in all I really liked this ship. Never found the gym, didn't look for it.... Back to my regular gym tomorrow!

She was my very first cruise and oh how I loved her, she will always be special to me!

I can't provide much on entertainment, this was a very low key trip for us, focused on relaxation and not having to follow a schedule.

My partner attended a show and enjoyed it. Our friends did some trivia, and won some ship's on sticks;)

The assistant cruise director was quite fun and personable. I don't think that I ever saw the cruise director in person, I saw her on the TV and heard her announcements. It was nice to have a cruise director with an American accent, she spoke very clearly and her announcements were clear.

They showed Skyfall in the Universe Theater, which was great and not so great. The dvd lost audio about 3/4 of the way through the movie and we couldn't see the end. I saw one guy so mad that first Grand Turk and now this, you'd think that he'd been forced to eat onion sandwiches.... It could be that he was still mad that we took his seat, that he had laid a blanket on to save it.... He was trying to save multiple seating areas.

Risa Barnes is my favorite cruise director. One reason is the southern accent. It kind of makes me feel at home. She is a really nice woman. On the last day she help push my mom in her wheelchair to disembark. Very kind of her.

• 3 months later...

Archived