Anyone done the Golden Eagle Island Sailaway at St. Maarten?

My wife and I have taken this excursion twice. Had a great time both times. We booked it thru RCCL so I don't know if its cheaper thru the company directly. The cat sails to a small uninhabited island for snorkeling and swimming with "open bar" in both directions and a beer-filled cooler on the beach.

Yes, we did this excursion and we had an awesome time. Would do it again in an heartbeat! The staff was friendly and our children had an awesome time, even helped "steer" it on the way back. The snorkeling was good, too. We also booked this through the ship. I know I have pictures but I don't know how to post here.

How crowded does this excursion tend to be? We're not fans of big crowds.

Also, I've heard there's a morning and an afternoon "session" -- can anyone be more specific about the times?

Finally, the only way to do this through the ship's excursions, or is there anything similar in the private sector?

They usually have one which departs shortly after the time you can disembark the ship and then another in the early afternoon. We chose the morning session as St Maarten has excellent shopping bargains and we like to spend the afternoon strolling the shops. The capacity of the cat is limited so there isn't a problem with overcrowding.

I've done the Golden Eagle twice, once with a group and once through the cruiseline. I really don't remember which one, if either, was cheaper. The sail to Tintamar was fun, but one child did get a bit green around the gills for a while. Once there, you get drinks and time for the beach, swimming or snorkeling. The crew will bring you some mud, too. :D Actually, everyone gets "mudded up" and then when it dries you rinse it off in the ocean. Leaves your skin feeling very soft. Both times we were there, there was a group of nudists further on down the beach but there was no interaction between the two groups.

Great Excursion, we do it each time we visit. After the 4th or 5th time, they treat you like family onboard.

Lots of fun and the beach is great. One thing to keep in mind though if traveling with children is that it takes you to a French Beach where nudists usually pull up in their own Catamaran. So, even though some take smaller kids on this, because of all of the drinking onboard and the nudists, it really isn't a tour for smaller children.

The price for booking it privately will be the exact same price you will pay booking it through the ship, so it isn't worth the trouble. We have checked several times on this and have ALWAYS just booked it through the ship we have sailed on, less of a hassle.

Enjoy!

My husband and I just did this excursion on our honeymoon in May. Although we sailed on a full ship (Mariner 5/15) the cat did not feel crowded at all. We were able to sit in the shade and move later to the canvas for some sun. The crew was excellent, very attentive and fun. It was our favorite excursion of the trip, we did the morning sail, went back to the ship for lunch, then back out for some shopping. We booked through the ship also. We would likely take this excursion again, given the chance. Have fun.

We did this tour last October on our Disney Cruise. We took our three children and it was a blast! The kids loved sitting on the netting as an occasional wave would splash up. There was one parent and one child who were not liking the up and down of the boat and went to the back of the boat to feed the fish. (yuk)

The staff was the best on any excusion we took. They were attentive, entertaining, and informative. How great it was to see a staff member walk out into the water to you carrying a tray full of drinks. The snorkling was fine for us. None of our children had done it before, so they were able to learn in gentle waters.

I just wish we were able stay at the beach a bit longer. I'd do this tour again in a heartbeat.

And, morning worked best for us. Gave us time for lunch on the ship then a few hours shopping and hanging out at the beach in St. Maarten.

We do it everytime we go to St. Marteen. The ride is a lot of fun and the beach area is nice. Not a lot to see snorkeling. It's great for kids. I don't know if you can book it outside of the cruiseline.

I only have a couple of pictures. The first one was on the cat itself and the second one was on the beach at Tintamar, champagne in hand, with mud all over us. :D

http://community.webshots.com/photo/75940712/75942050dzQjki

http://community.webshots.com/photo/75940712/75942266CAvTZH

WOW! Loved your pictures! Thanks so much!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Definately a thumbs up on this excursion!!!

We were on the Mariner last month an did the Golden Eagle...

Would do again and again!!!

The crew was GREAT....even brought us drinks while on the beach and in the water too!!!

I could have stayed on that little island all day:D

Open bar the whole trip and they serve great sandwiches on the voyage back!!

Have fun....wish I was there right now :(

My husband and I just did this excursion on our honeymoon in May. Although we sailed on a full ship (Mariner 5/15) the cat did not feel crowded at all. We were able to sit in the shade and move later to the canvas for some sun. The crew was excellent, very attentive and fun. It was our favorite excursion of the trip, we did the morning sail, went back to the ship for lunch, then back out for some shopping. We booked through the ship also. We would likely take this excursion again, given the chance. Have fun.

Puglover...how are you ??? we were all on this excursion with you !!! We beleive this was the best one we did ..there was 12 of us on board---the staff was excellent,the beach was great and it wasnt crowded at all...wehn we came back we hopped a cab to bikini beach for a couple hours and then even had time to do some shoppping.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm bouncing this to the front page again because I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has pictures of this excursion. Thanks.

Dale

I listed a couple of links in post #9. BTW, bumping/bouncing is a no no. Better to just start a new thread rather than have the powers that be coming after you. ;)

Archived