renfe.com

Has anyone been successful booking a train ticket through renfe.com? We have been trying for several days to book a one way ticket from Seville to Madrid. They have some very good pricing but it's impossible to book. I read on trip advisor that the site is indeed, difficult to maneuver but we have not been able to get our credit card to go through. We have tried 3 different cards and even gone by the bank to see if they can assist us to no avail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cruise Chick

Has anyone been successful booking a train ticket through renfe.com? We have been trying for several days to book a one way ticket from Seville to Madrid. They have some very good pricing but it's impossible to book. I read on trip advisor that the site is indeed, difficult to maneuver but we have not been able to get our credit card to go through. We have tried 3 different cards and even gone by the bank to see if they can assist us to no avail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cruise Chick

Call the credit card company they may be rejecting it due to the fact the purchase is out of the country. Once they know it is you it should work!:)

Cruise Chick

I've booked 3 or 4 different tickets on Renfe.com without difficulty or problem. Did you call the credit card company to tell them Spanish charges will be coming through? And I understand if you're using a Visa card, you need Verified By Visa.

I had difficulty booking outside of European daylight hours. I'd try in the evening for a few days (West Coast, and it was 4am in Spain), and it wouldn't work. Tried again from work the next morning and it worked fine.

Not only did we call our bank, we went by the bank and tried to purchase the tickets with the bank with us. Also, called AMEX who actually went as far as having a spanish speaking agent try to call them. NADA! It's just amazing to me that we cannot get these tickets purchased. We have tried with AX, Visa and MC. None are going through. Thanks for the suggestions. We may just have to pay more and book through Rail Europe.

Cruise Chick

I have tried several credit cards unsuccessfully on the RENFE site. the only card that ever works for me is a Spanish issued Debit card.

It's a bit silly, but maybe they only accept spanish based cards? :rolleyes:

This is a comprehensive guide on the use of the RENFE site and purchase of discounted, or not, tickets addressing all known issues including those mentioned above - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid:Spain:Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online..html

It is an extremely rare occasion someone within Europe's western borders has trouble with using a credit card to purchase and I suggest you are not signed up for Verirified by Visa or Mastercard Securecode.

I have tried on numerous occasions to book on the renfe website and never managed to get it to work either, I also discovered the pricing on the english version seems different to the spanish version...

Found that unlike the UK, you can often still get decent prices offline a day or two before travelling.

Thanks to all for the help. Unfortunately, we were never able to buy the tickets on Renfe and today, the lower fares were gone so we purchased them through Rail Europe. At least I have the tickets and though I paid a bit more, I feel better knowing I have them and I'm set.

The http://www.renfe.com is for the birds!!!! Again, thanks for trying to help but we tried everything that was suggested including 3 different computers and never could get the payment to go through even after getting the bank involved. Just wasn't worth the hours of time we spent trying.

CruiseChick00

The renfe website here in the US only works when the stars and moon are in alinement.:) Tried for weeks to get it to work then low and behold one day it worked for whatever reason. Note you must call your cc company and let them know before hand you are trying to book on a foreign sight.

Archived