Warning re: Twin Island Excursions Horseback ride

shutterbug63

Just got off the Indy - 8 nights Eastern Caribbean. Wanted to post this...this was our experience on Twin Island Excursions. We booked the two hour horseback ride (this was not through RCCL).

Our one scary moment on the cruise came during our horseback ride with Twin Island Excursions in St. Maarten. We booked a two-hour trail ride. The ride went fine, my son had fun. But...the end of the ride consisted of riding the horses in the ocean. We had 8 people in our group of varying experience levels. Waves were pretty high, but our guide led us in saddles and all (she had Bobby's horse on a lead rope. When the waves came, the horse were buffeted about and sometimes got very close to each other, especially on the turn. I did not see what happened, but apparently the horse behind me was knocked over by a wave and panicked. The next thing we saw was the horse running along the beach. His rider had gotten knocked off, but still had one foot in a stirrup. He was dragged about 75 feet hanging from the saddle. It was HORRIFIC. He was yelling "Help me"...the horse finally stopped when he got to a rocky area. Rider was conscious, but his leg was messed up. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen on a trail ride.

As a person who has ridden horses for 44 years, I would NEVER have taken 8 riders of varying experience levels into an ocean with high waves. I might have taken one or two at a time. It was not safe at all the way it was done.

Being as experienced with horses as I am, I would never recommend that an inexperienced rider go on a horseback excursion out of the country.

Too many reasons to list. :(

I agree. But regardless, the conditions of the ride in the ocean weren't optimal, even for someone like me.

When an older teenager I took my horse along a lake edge. No waves. Went in a little deep and floated off my horse. He hit the shore running and found him standing on someone's lawn eating their grass. I can't imagine going into the water with large waves. That's totally irresponsible.

Being as experienced with horses as I am, I would never recommend that an inexperienced rider go on a horseback excursion out of the country.

I agree and I've had horse my whole life. Most people do not respect that these are animals, they are not machines. They are unpredicatable...even the nags that are sometimes used for trail rides. When I was a kid I would give pony rides and rent my pony for pony parties. I would constantly have to scold adults about safety with running kids and parents who didn't want to walk along side the pony with their child because they were afraid. I would always insist that the parent have a hand on the toddler as we walked around the ring.......can you imagine you are scared of a pony....so you want to let a 12 year old walk the pony on a lead while trying to keep your toddler in the saddle? But sadly most people lack common sense if they have not grown up with animals.......

I disagree with the entire concept of trail rides for inexperienced riders. The last place I would put an inexperienced rider is on a "trail" where a squirrel, a blowing leaf, a garbage bag, a ballon, a dog, a bike, a dirt bike, a quad....etc could be. When the horse takes off and runs into traffic what is an inexperienced going to do about it?

Inexperienced riders belong in a ring....period. Then when the horse throws them or spooks.....it can be cornered immediately without dragging the rider very far.

People tend to do some very risky things on vacation....and sometimes it costs them their life. And don't even get me started about taking inexperienced riders into the ocean!!!!!! That person is lucky they werent dragged in the ocean.....then they would be dead.

My friend's husband was very seriously injured in a horseback riding accident while on a cruise......he too hadn't beenon a horse since childhood........ He almost died as a result of the head injury he recieved.......

My DH and I did a horseback riding excursion on Turk Caicos Islands. We are experienced riders but by no means experts. The beginning was fine. We did a trail ride along the beach and up and down some small hills. Then we returned to the "Stable" and they removed our saddles from the horses, leaving just a blanket for us to sit on. They led us out into the water and the lead man started running with his horse and all the rest followed at the fast rate of speed. The horses were running into each other and I was hanging on to the mane on the horse and squeezing my legs so hard I thought I would going to break my hips. It was very scary and dangerous. For the next three days, onboard the ship, I could hardly walk. My muscles were so sore from hanging on. Going up stairs was impossible. The description on the ride did not mention riding a galloping horse in the ocean. It only pictured the trailride portion. Everyone survived but I was not sure that I would not fall off the horse and get stepped on by the other horses that were crashing into me.

Wow, I did not realize how dangerous this could be. I had considered taking my daughter and her friend on a horseback excursion but that is definitely off the table now. I have not been on a horse since middle school, my DD has never been on one. Thank you for the advise/warning:)

I've had bad experiences on country as well...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll consider myself blessed.

I've never ridden a horse a day in my life, but I did a horseback riding excursion during a land vacation to Jamaica with Hooves and then did it 3 months later through Carnival at HMC.

I will say I was scared, but I prayed the whole time I was on the horse. After I calmed down, everything was fine. Now the ride in HMC was a whole other story. Yes, I prayed, but the horse wanted to gallop...ALOT!!! The reigns were handled differently and they removed the saddles when it was time to get in the ocean. Now that freaked me out.

I will say that after the experience at HMC, I will not do it again.

Archived