March 16-24 Solo Independence Picture Review

How are the night clubs as far as dancing. We like to have a few drinks and dance but the past 2 cruises we were on, either it was a young crowd (BF and I are in our early 50's) and they didnt play the type of music we like to dance to or the club was dead and there was no one dancing.

How are the night clubs as far as dancing. We like to have a few drinks and dance but the past 2 cruises we were on, either it was a young crowd (BF and I are in our early 50's) and they didnt play the type of music we like to dance to or the club was dead and there was no one dancing.

The main dance club was the Labyrinth on deck 4 and 5. It was only busy one night of the week. I was a little disappointed by that. Another disappointment was the Club 20 party they have in the Solaruim. I passed by just after midnight that night and there was only 5-10 people there. Not sure if it is always like this or just on my cruise.

My DD is a figure skater and did the advanced skates as she brought her skates from home. She was the only one on the ice. She said the same thing, it was soft ice with lots of grooves. She was able to jump fine, but had a hard time with the spins and also said there was no glide. Made what they do in the show more impressive. The concierge was able to get her backstage to meet the ice cast after the show and they told us it takes months to really get used to the size and surface.

My teen boys had a blast on this ship. There was a very nice and active group of kids (in a good way). I met their friends during the week and I was impressed with what a polite group they were. They have been texting and facebooking since we got home.

We will do this sailing again without a doubt. The eight days was perfect, the ship, the crew, everything was just wonderful. Our favorite cruise so far.

Jill,

We met the nicest teens at the Flowrider this cruise. They were all very nice, polite and personable.

We have already booked this ship for next March 15th and can't wait :D and I agree with you about the length of the cruise being perfect as well as the ship and crew.

We are looking forward to the Flowrider every morning again :)

901061_10151515547216162_760252639_o.jpg

Day 3-At Sea

Day 3 Activities

CC2.jpg

Woke up once again to beautiful sunny weather. Started off the morning with my now routine of grabbing a coffee, then checking out the menu by the dining room, then a few laps around the outside Promenade deck before heading to breakfast at Windjammer.

P1020922.jpg

P1020923.jpg

Of course a quick stop at the back of the ship to see the wake of the ship

P1020920.jpg

During the day was much the same as Day 2. Sitting by the pool enjoying the warm sun and people watching.

Was back at my cabin around 5:00pm to shower and change and then off to Vintages for a glass of wine. Vintages was always very quiet around 6:00pm because most of the passengers are at the 6:00pm early dinner seating in the dining room.

P1020947.jpg

For dinner I had the rack of lamb. Very tasty and very tender. (sorry that the picture is a little fuzzy)

P1020950.jpg

After dinner I headed back to the Royal Promenade to find a place to sit, or stand, for the 70s Disco Inferno party at 10:30pm. Again this is one of the times the Royal Promenade was very busy but that made the party more fun. The cruise director and staff did a great job getting the crowd into the mood to party. There were lots of shirts and other items thrown to the crowd, including a beach ball. Before throwing the ball into the crowd Casey the cruise director made a joke that if the ball hits the ground then the bars are closed. Of course the ball never even made it close to the ground!

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

After the 70s party it was off to various lounges and bars again. Then back to the cabin for the night.

Tomorrow is Day 4 St Maarten. This days post will be very picture heavy so if you like pictures stay tuned!

It started at 8 am to 9 for advanced stand up and 9 to 10 (last day was until 11) for stand up, where the sports staff will help load you. Yep, we had it all to ourselves (just the 5-6, sometimes 7 of us) for the entire cruise and it was AWESOME :D I will say this though, purchase a shortie wet suit. We ended up renting them from the dive shop because the first three days were so windy and COLD, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

How much was the wet suit rental?

Day 4 St Maarten

Day Activites

CC4.jpg

I was up early this day to watch our arrival into the port.

P1020953.jpg

There were already 2 ships docked before us. Norwegian Epic and Mein Schiff 1.

P1020954.jpg

Next to dock before us was Celebrity Eclipse

P1020955.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

Then we docked next to Norwegian Epic

P1020956.jpg

Here you can see the water slide on Epic

DSC00073.jpg

After we docked Celebrity Reflection came in and docked next to her sister ship, Eclipse

P1020957.jpg

P1020958.jpg

The 2 Celebrity ships made for a great photo opportunity

P1020959.jpg

P1020960.jpg

I noticed there was another fellow flag bearing Canuck onboard Reflection

P1020962.jpg

After watching us come into port it was up to Windjammer for breakfast and then off the ship to walk around the cruise ship port.

Once off the ship I took some time to take the usual ship photos that I like to take while in Port. The size of these ships is always impressive to me no matter how many times I have cruised.

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

I spent an hour or so walking around and checking out the stores in port. This is my 3rd time at St Maarten and there is a spice hut I always like to check out while Im here. After that I found a spot at Sharkys bar to have a Corona. Then it was back to the ship for lunch and more picture taking.

$40 for the whole week and best $40 we spent on that cruise. I could not believe how windy and cold it was the first three days. :eek:

Cool. We'll probably do that for upcoming cruise. We both tend to run a little cold, and that should just make everything nicer.

After lunch I went down to the Promenade deck for a bit of a stroll and to get some pictures.

P1020966.jpg

After that it was back to the cabin to enjoy the sun. Once back at the cabin I noticed they were performing tests on a lifeboat on the Port side.

P1020968.jpg

P1020971.jpg

Here is a great picture to show how blue the water is.

P1020970.jpg

At 6:00pm we started to pull away from the dock. Sail-away is always fun when there are other ships in Port. Lots of yelling back and forth between the ships and people waving.

DSC00079.jpg

After we left we were followed by Epic and Reflection.

P1020973.jpg

It was then time to shower and change and get ready for the evening. Tonight was Caribbean night so there were many people in festive Caribbean shirts.

As usual I had a pre-dinner glass of wine at Vintages, which was very quiet again.

P1020976.jpg

Then off to Boleros to listen to live music.

P1020978.jpg

After Boleros it was back to the cabin briefly. To get back to the front of the ship where my cabin is located, I took the Promenade deck for some fresh air.

P1020980.jpg

Once back at the cabin there was another towel animal waiting for me.

P1020977.jpg

It was then time to go to the dining room for dinner at 9:15pm. Once again there was no lineup and I was seated in the same section as previous nights.

For my starter I ordered the Caprese salad.

P1020981.jpg

I also ordered for a starter the Roasted Garlic soup. I am not a big soup fan but this was very tasty.

P1020982.jpg

For my main dish was pork with a scallop potato side dish.

P1020983.jpg

Dessert was a bread pudding dish with vanilla ice cream.

P1020988.jpg

After dinner I noticed the wait staff was gathering near the stairs to do a march around the dining room.

P1020986.jpg

Later that evening I went to the Love and Marriage gameshow. This was funny and entertaining as it has always been on other ships. After the show it was back to the cabin with a night cap on the balcony and then to bed.

Tomorrow is Day 5, St Kitts. It will also be a picture heavy post of the day and more food pictures. Plus another cruise tip about this Port.

Great photos and review so far, can't wait to read the rest of it. I too am a canuck, born and raised in Toronto for 12 years before moving to Arizona. I now know to bring my Canadian Flags with me o drape over my balconies from here on out, loved it!!!!!!

Jill,

We met the nicest teens at the Flowrider this cruise. They were all very nice, polite and personable.

We have already booked this ship for next March 15th and can't wait :D and I agree with you about the length of the cruise being perfect as well as the ship and crew.

We are looking forward to the Flowrider every morning again :)

901061_10151515547216162_760252639_o.jpg

Great FlowRider photo. Was this taken during open time or during a private/group lesson? I don't see anybody else in line at all.

Day 5- St Kitts

Day 5 Activities

CC5.jpg

St Kitts Cruise Terminal

DSC00082.jpg

Celebrity Reflection joined us not too long after we docked

P1020991.jpg

P1020992.jpg

After getting a few pictures from my balcony I went down to the Royal Promenade to get the morning coffee, and then check out the dining room menu.

After that I wanted to go to the Bow of the ship to get a picture of the 2 ships side by side.

DSC00083.jpg

Archived