Cruise 'Cough'..........

Cosmic Rays

Just got back off Oriana last Friday and fit as a flea. No cough, dry throat, nothing. AND I didn't hang up flannels or use nasal sprays. Think it just depends on the individual and IMHO, its a bit like seasickness, some people just talk themselves into it!

.........to see if I need to stock up on any additional 'remedies' before we go as I don't really - and neither would you I suspect - want to suffer again for weeks on end afterwards!!!

I was just curious as not everyone reading these boards will be going at the same time as you methinks. However, I can see the sense in what you say and I do take a supply of various medications just in case they're needed, hopefully not though. :)

This winter i, and many of my acquaintances, had the 6 week cough. My GP surgery had a note about this. Nothing to do with cruises.

Last year i did not have this cough. That was the year my Canadian cousins visited. So i reckon the cure is to invite your Canadian cousins. A lot less anti social than leaving open the patio doors with th aircon on.

On ships and planes I always use Vicks First Defence Nasal Spray to ward off the nasties.

This sounds a good idea - thanks.

For others (Carhirer) it was different times of year. Azura - transatlantic March, QE - Venice to Athens via the Black Sea October, and Veendam South America February this year!!!! So that theory wasn't true. However, we'll be prepared forJuly...........I hope!

• 2 months later...

I've never had an issue in 7 cruises however one week into our Celebrity Eclipse cruise, just ended, I got a bad sore throat and night of cold sweats and was then left with an annoying dry cough that is still with me 9 days on. Other half got a sore throat which is still lingering too.

It is nothing to do with the air conditioning. I live with A/C all the time. It is down to your immune system.

Before you go away you should build up your immunity by eating the right foods. Taking vitamins, Echinacea, Beta Glucan. Check out Boots Store or Health stores and see what they have. Take the things for at least three months before you go away or better still take them all the time.

Even drinking an Actimel a day will build up your defences, Eat fresh fruit and get some sunshine.

Use First defence if flying and cover you mouth when you cough or sneeze to stop germs spreading .

The A/C will work better if the door is closed in your cabin and you should sleep with the duvet or under blankets if you sleep in an A/C room. Otherwise you get cold and aches and pains.

I always cruise for long periods of time, usually on world cruises so I make sure I am fit. I have never had a cough, or a cold even though other people suffer. I tend to avoid any one who is coughing near me and walk away from them. It was very bad on Arcadia this year but I stayed well away from the hacking coughers.:) I believe you have to build your self up prior to going on a cruise.;)

Edited by maggiemou

I've just got home from some time on the Arcadia, and whilst I was onboard I repeatedly measured humidity in my cabin, and the humidity in public areas such as the restaurants, bars and theater.

In my cabin it varied between 52% and 58%, in the restaurants it varied between 52% and 70% (highest during dinner!) and in the theatre it varied between 51% and 65% (highest towards the end of a show when the theatre was full).

These are all well within the range of normal, comfortable humidity levels for indoor areas in the UK.

VP

I've just got home from some time on the Arcadia, and whilst I was onboard I repeatedly measured humidity in my cabin, and the humidity in public areas such as the restaurants, bars and theater.

In my cabin it varied between 52% and 58%, in the restaurants it varied between 52% and 70% (highest during dinner!) and in the theatre it varied between 51% and 65% (highest towards the end of a show when the theatre was full).

These are all well within the range of normal, comfortable humidity levels for indoor areas in the UK.

VP

People take equipment to measure humidity on cruises? Damn, something else I need to remember to pack now.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

i was on the Oriana two years ago inside cabin and i woke up one night and couldn't catch my breath, i was gasping for air, it never happened again on the cruise but it did happen about 4 or 5 times more in the next 3 months (it was very scary).

i finally made an appointment to see the doctor who sent me to the hospital for one night were they place tubes and stickers all over your body, needless to say i thought i never slept a wink but the nurse said i did.

i got the results a few weeks and the doctor said it was ok but offered me an oxygen type mask but i declined that as the last incident had been about 2 or 3 months previously, i've had no problems since.

i've often wondered if the cruise had anything to do with what happened,

now i have seen a few of these threads before but not posted on them but maggiemou's post about your immune system may be correct, i was taking injections at the time and the doctor warned me this medicine really does lower your immune system, maybe this was the case with me.

BTW i also got the cough, it lasted a few weeks.

i was on the Oriana two years ago inside cabin and i woke up one night and couldn't catch my breath, i was gasping for air, it never happened again on the cruise but it did happen about 4 or 5 times more in the next 3 months (it was very scary).

i finally made an appointment to see the doctor who sent me to the hospital for one night were they place tubes and stickers all over your body, needless to say i thought i never slept a wink but the nurse said i did.

i got the results a few weeks and the doctor said it was ok but offered me an oxygen type mask but i declined that as the last incident had been about 2 or 3 months previously, i've had no problems since.

i've often wondered if the cruise had anything to do with what happened,

now i have seen a few of these threads before but not posted on them but maggiemou's post about your immune system may be correct, i was taking injections at the time and the doctor warned me this medicine really does lower your immune system, maybe this was the case with me.

BTW i also got the cough, it lasted a few weeks.

Pleased to hear you are now OK.

I am convinced it is to do with your immune system. I live and work in a very hot humid, country and Air Con is a big part of our lives. Most people I know never suffer colds and flu here or coughs as the climate is good and we get a lot of sunshine.

I work in a 5 Health Spa Resort so meet people all the time who have just come off the plane from an overseas flights. They are usually full of colds or coughs that they bring with them. I have learnt over the years to take pre and pro biotic daily and things that build up your immune system. I never fail to take these and I take zinc as well as Beta Glucan. I never get any health problems and I am super fit as I exercise everyday. All these things help build up your resistance to things plus I eat a very healthy diet.

So many people do not bother with any of the above so no wonder they get ill. It is a lifestyle and you have to stick with it.

• 5 years later...

Do you realise you’re replying to a 5yr old thread from 2013?

4 hours ago, KayakingGirl2 said:

How about taking a diffuser for essential oils with you on the cruise.  They are like little humidifiers.  And the added benefit of using an oil like lavender for a good nights rest.  

• Haha 1