Secret Harbour

theporterhouse

As you probably know, Secret Harbor is one of the East End beaches, Sapphire, Smith Bay, and Coki are the other prominent beaches. SH is a very small, well-protected bay and so the water is very calm. There is a condo resort with a restaurant and a dive center that rents chairs and anything else you may need. There is snorkeling there, but there is no shade to speak of.

We stay at the Sapphire condo resort and visited SH one day last January for a few minutes while checkling out the Ritz and condo resorts in Cowpet Bay (we had also looked at condos at SH a few years earlier). SH is a nice little beach that you share with condo guests and guests from nearby inns, it can sometimes be a bit crowded when ships are in but that's the case with most beaches. If you like a very calm bay and don't require shade SH is a good choice for the day.

We were there a few years ago..loved it, when we got to the visitors booth and asked where to go where it would be less crowded, she sent us there...we were the only ones there, Mind you I have no idea how many ships were in port that day. We had a great morning saw a sea turtle and other fish. Yes, very calm waters, I remember that...SH is one of the best memories from that cruise!

Secret Harbor has abundant natural shade. You can check this by looking at the foliage on Google Earth. We spend a few days there every year.

Actually Secret Harbor has ZERO shade. Jim you are probably thinking of Sapphire Beach which has a lot of natural shade from seagrape trees lining the beach.

We visited all of the beaches including SH, Cowpet Bay, and the Ritz while staying at Sapphire, and we've looked at condos for sale at SH. SH is a nice, calm, small bay. We just prefer Sapphire for some waves and island views. But you can't go wrong at either!

Actually Secret Harbor has ZERO shade. Jim you are probably thinking of Sapphire Beach which has a lot of natural shade from seagrape trees lining the beach.

I don't know what to make of your post. I gave you the hint to look at SAT photos from google earth. SH is actually the only beach on the island where you can sit in the shade directly under a grape tree with your feet in the water. You can have sun if you want it but there is plenty of shade.

If you don't use Google Earth just go to trip advisor and look at the travelers photos. There is a nice one there with the particular grape tree I described.

I don't know what to make of your post. I gave you the hint to look at SAT photos from google earth. SH is actually the only beach on the island where you can sit in the shade directly under a grape tree with your feet in the water. You can have sun if you want it but there is plenty of shade.

If you don't use Google Earth just go to trip advisor and look at the travelers photos. There is a nice one there with the particular grape tree I described.

There are some shaded spots and palm trees, but Sapphire has the Seagrape trees lining the shore.

blue: Yes, at Secret Harbour, the lounges and the hammocks under the trees are reserved for Secret Harbour guests and owners. The dive shop has been permitted to rent out chairs to transient visitors, but they are restricted to the area in front of the dive shop.

Yes there are some areas of shade that are restricted to condo owners and renters. These areas are not available to cruisers, however, and this is a cruise forum.

For abundant natural shade for cruisers Sapphire is the answer.

You win, I give up. I recommend everyone go to Sapphire for the abundant natural shade.

Jim you're recommending SH to cruisers, I didn't think about the fact that you may not know cruisers cannot use the shaded areas.

SH is a nice calm little bay with a restaurant and dive center and we looked at condos for sale there. We also hired Stanley whomworks there to give is a tour of the island when we were cruising to STT. But for cruisers looking for an East End beach with shade and amenities Sapphire is gorgeous.

Jim you're recommending SH to cruisers, I didn't think about the fact that you may not know cruisers cannot use the shaded areas.

But for cruisers looking for an East End beach with shade and amenities Sapphire is gorgeous.

I hate to beat a dead horse here but you've gone from no shade to ZERO shade to some shade to there is shade but cruise ship folks can't use the shade. All the beaches in the USVI are public. I go to SH every year but while I don't get there by cruise ship I don't stay at SH either. That makes me a visitor just like anyone from a cruise ship.

The attendants will ask you to move if you use the chairs or umbrellas provided by the resort for their guests. If you sit on a towel or bring your own chairs you can sit where you want. The dive shop rents chairs and they ask you not to bring them over to the shady areas but that's because they don't want to drag them back if you leave them there not because of any restriction on using the beach.

As to Sapphire having better amenities I guess that's up to individual preference. I'm partial to clean restrooms and a full service restaurant and bar. My favorite beach in St Thomas is right next door to Sapphire, Smith Bay Beach. It has porta-potties and they rent chairs for $5 and no restaurant or bar. That makes it a tough choice for cruisers but it is beautiful and usually empty except for Sundays.

I know most cruisers choose Sapphire but that's because the posters on CC rave about it so much. That's fine, it's a nice beach with pretty good snorkeling and I usually stop there for at least an hour or two most years. My only point in this discussion was to correct the idea that SH had no shade. I think I've corrected that idea.

I hate to beat a dead horse here but you've gone from no shade to ZERO shade to some shade to there is shade but cruise ship folks can't use the shade. All the beaches in the USVI are public. I go to SH every year but while I don't get there by cruise ship I don't stay at SH either. That makes me a visitor just like anyone from a cruise ship.

The attendants will ask you to move if you use the chairs or umbrellas provided by the resort for their guests. If you sit on a towel or bring your own chairs you can sit where you want. The dive shop rents chairs and they ask you not to bring them over to the shady areas but that's because they don't want to drag them back if you leave them there not because of any restriction on using the beach.

As to Sapphire having better amenities I guess that's up to individual preference. I'm partial to clean restrooms and a full service restaurant and bar. My favorite beach in St Thomas is right next door to Sapphire, Smith Bay Beach. It has porta-potties and they rent chairs for $5 and no restaurant or bar. That makes it a tough choice for cruisers but it is beautiful and usually empty except for Sundays.

I know most cruisers choose Sapphire but that's because the posters on CC rave about it so much. That's fine, it's a nice beach with pretty good snorkeling and I usually stop there for at least an hour or two most years. My only point in this discussion was to correct the idea that SH had no shade. I think I've corrected that idea.

Jim you are entitled to your opinions but need to understand this is a CRUISING FORUM. Your shade comments are misleading to folks here and that needed to be corrected for their benefit. The shaded areas at SH are for condo guests, period - there is ZERO shade for cruisers.

Again we've been to SH to visit and to look at condos for sale and we know the property well, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but let's drop it.

We visited SH on our last trip to St Thomas. Others in our group were diving so my daughter and I enjoyed the beach for the day. The water is gorgeous! My daughter enjoyed the snorkeling. We had lunch at the restaurant, it was pricey but no more so than most island restaurants. It was good so I was ok with the price. Bathrooms were nice. There was construction going on at the time but it was not annoying. It was not crowded. I rented a chair from the dive shop. Things were great for most of the day but as the day wore on, we needed shade and there were no good options. Lounges near the shade were for resort guests and were being used anyway. I finally took a towel to a semi shaded area but then I had an issue with bugs. Was sooo ready to go when they were back from diving. It was a beautiful place, calm water i would go back for a shorter visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can provide some additonal information about Secret Harbor. Our 3rd trip to St. Thomas. We've been to Sapphire and thought we'd try something different.

Do we take a Taxi to Red Hook then walk to the beach? Is Red Hook and Secret Harbor within walking distance of each other? Should we request the taxi return at a specific time or are taxi's readily available?

Approximately how much is chair/umbrella rentals?

Any additional information would be great.

Thanks.

Hi Valerie,

Secret Harbor is a nice little beach with calm water and a good choice for the day. No shade is available for day visitors and I don't remember them renting umbrellas. So you won't see the abundant shade that you could use at Sapphire nor the beautiful water colors and island views but still a nice spot.

It is not close enough to Red Hook to walk but it is in the general area and the taxi will drop you off right at the resort. You can ask the driver to return at a certain time, and the resort can also help you get a taxi if there are none there when you're ready to leave. If you look at the map below you can see that SH is just south of Red Hook while Sapphire is just north of RH. The Elysian Resort and the Ritz Carlton are also located on the outcropping where SH is.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/images/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Archived