Youngest age a child can enjoy a cruise?

PunkiePaws

I know this is a subjective question, and I saw babies on our honeymoon cruise on the Paradise in October 2002 (when it was still nonsmoking!)- I know a baby has to be what, 4 months old or something.

But IMO, if you take a child that is TOO young, THEY don't "get" anything out of the cruise, and you have to spend more time caring for them than when they are a bit older. Because obviously, you are not letting your kid out of your sight- well, I wouldn't. When I take a kid on a cruise I want them to be right there with me for a family vacation, I am not interested in having "private time with dad" - I want my child to have fun and I actually am used to be around my child 24/7 anyway, and I enjoy it. FWIW My baby is 13 months old.

I'm dying to go on another cruise, but I want to wait until my daughter is old enough to know what's going on and have fun. I could take her now, but it would be just like when we travel on land...she is used to her routines and bedtimes and has to be carried everywhere and is not used to water etc.

In your opinion/experience, at what age do kids really love and enjoy a cruise? This is my first so I have no idea, but I am thinking maybe elementary school age? 5.....6.....8?

Thoughts or opinions? ALso what ports are more popular for families with young kids for family-friendly beach time and other activites (and safety)....

Wanted to edit to add....my sister in law got a free 4 day Bahamas cruise from her work and they took their daughter who was about 3 or 4 at the time...she said she will NEVER....EVER...go on a cruise with a kid again because it was nonstop whining and tantrums and complaining. I hate to say this, but her daughter is now 8 and they now have a son too.....and both her kids are intolerable. I don't put too much stock in what she says because her kids are terrible to be around. They DO whine and cry and complain and demand their way constantly. I think an 8 year old is old enough to have big fun on a cruise if you spend time with them, but her 8 year old.....would be a total pain. I hate to sound this way about my niece and nephew, but they are very bad trust me...when the 8 year old was 6, she KICKED my father in the leg while he was sitting down at the inlaws' house, and he has bad back problems! She kicked him because he didn't sit ehere holding her doll for her for an hour, she demanded that he hold it and when she went away and started playing with something else, he put it down, and she noticed and came back and kicked him! She still acts like that at 8. Let me just say ..MY daughter will never be like that because I'd open up the whoop. Then again if you see how my sister in law acts..I would never go on a cruise with HER! It runs in the household. LOL> She didn't want to spend any time with her kid and acted resentful that she couldn't just go do what she wanted without regard to her...SIL was angry that my MIL wouldn't keep her daughter so she didn't "have" to take her with her on the cruise.

I myself can't WAIT until my girl is old enough to go and enjoy! What fun....it will be a wonderful vacation taking her on her first cruise and playing in the sun and water with her! But....what age? I am willing to adjust my activities to her, so I wouldn't, for example, go on an all-day excursion where she'd be restless. I plan on lots of beach days and water activites etc. Lots of playing!

My daughter Katie has celebrated every birthday on a cruise ship. This year she will be 13, but this will be her 14th cruise since we did 2 one year. We decided on cruising since there was no traveling by car, no packing and unpacking and no worrying about where to eat. I think she has enjoyed all of them, on her first cruise it was a smaller ship, with mostly older folks and everyone on board knew her. For her first birthday, a man onboard had the same birthday and bought her a spoon. Since then for every cruise we've gotten a spoon so she has a large collection. She liked the shows when she was one and has liked them since. She started talking on her second cruise, her first sentence was "big boat out there", which she said in our cabin just after we boarded. She started in the kids program on her second cruise on Carnival, and had participated up till last cruise when she shared a cabin with her aunt and they did things together. She always loved the kids programs and couldn't wait to get to them. So if Carnival still has 2 and up why not? She will enjoy her self on board, so even though she won't remember it, you will.

Sue

Interesting subject. Did a search and here is what I came up with

The distribution of early childhood memories.

from

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10932795&dopt=Abstract

Oh Where, Oh Where Have Those Early Memories Gone?

from

http://www.apa.org/science/psa/sb-bauerprt.html

Anyone know of studies about this subject. When we become "Aware"

Love the responses!:p

Depending on how well behaved your child will be at this age, I think 3-4 is a good time to introduce them to cruising. My youngest took her first cruise when she was 3 and loved Camp Carnival. She adapted to the other children because she attended day care part time. She was potty trained and was able to enjoy the childrens pool. Bringing a toddler on a cruise is still work but not nearly as much work as I can imagine an infant would be!

We started ours out at the age of four, a year earlier than planned. She enjoyed herself immensely, and still has memories at the ripe old age of almost 7. She's been on 5 altogether, and before this last one, I asked her which one she liked.

Her response? "All of them."

She's yet to attend any of the camps.

I was on a cruise where there was this family (parents and three kids). The oldest kid was 5. Then they had two-year-old twins. They left the twins everywhere with the sitter because they were too young to do certain things. Like swimming or sitting. There was one excursion we were on, it was a little late getting back and the father was screaming up and down that the bus could not be any more late because his babies were waiting at the dock with the sitter just sitting there. I don't get it. Why bring them on the cruise if you are just going to arbitrarily leave them everywhere?

I am bringing my daughter on her first cruise this October when she will be 7 months old. We are a family that does a lot of travel (this will be her 3rd or 4th trip in 7 months), and I feel that if I don't start travelling with her at this early age, neither her nor I will be prepared to travel. It's all a learning experience -- for both the parents and the child.

Yes, I realize she will not remember this experience, but her parents will have the pictures to prove it to her when she is older. She will also not remember travelling across the atlantic to England to visit her Grandparents next year, but that's a trip we will be taking as well and IMO much more difficult. On the cruise, we board once, unpack once and we always have our place to stay (cabin) within walking distance -- at least when we are on the boat. And both my husband and I agree that if she is ever a disturbance in the dining room, show room, etc., we will remove her from that experience.

Since she is so young on this type of vacation, I am travelling with my Mother who will also assist us in some babysitting time. All my husband and I need is one good snorkel trip and one late night out on the boat to feel as if we got our "adult" vacation experience.

I love travelling with my family and wouldn't want to do it without her. I take a cruise to enjoy life -- not escape completly from it. I plan to enjoy my upcoming cruise! :D

My daughter went on her first cruise at 14 mos., then 16 mos. She'll be going on her third in Nov. at 27 mos. and then almost 3 for her fourth next June. We'll also have an almost 10 yr. old who it will be his 8th cruise next June.

We live about 25 mins. from both the Port of Houston and the Port of Galveston, so cruising is a very feasible family vacation for us. Also, the closest grandparent is about 1000 miles away, so leaving the kids isn't very practical.

She might not remember anything yet, but she definitely still has fun.

It takes a little more planning ahead for excursions, but we have still been able to do what we want. For our upcoming cruise, we're doing Dunn's Falls in Jamaica, Stingray Sandbar in Grand Cayman, and Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

In the past, when we did one of the Mayan ruins, we had her in a backpack carrier. When we did the String Ray/Nurse Shark tour in Belize, we had a float ring for her to be in while we're in the water.

We typically book tours through independent operators, and having a little child along hasn't been a problem yet. Both my hubby and I are flexible and open-minded in working around any limitations we may have or adjustments we may have to make.

With having family so far, traveling is almost a way of life for us (I never put my suitcases up). By the time my daughter is 2, she'll will have flown 10 times roundtrip. We've lost count with our son, 40-50 times??? We have figured out what works, and what doesn't work. :)

I'm taking my daughter on her first cruise next month. She's 33. I guess I'm selfish but cruising to me is for relaxing. Keeping up with a child does not fit that bill.

Your DD and I are the same age. I'll volunteer to be someone's child then...I bet I would even like Camp Carnival and the kid's menu:p

I'll be sailing in July with my daughter, she will be 11 months at the time. I know she will not remember any of it and I know I will have a little less time to relax with her daddy, but I honestly don't think I would feel comfortable about leaving her for those days. I would be thinking about her constantly and missing her smiles, giggles, and even tears.

I actually think an infant is easier to vacation with than say a two year old whose favorite word is "NO".

I took my twins on their first cruise when they were 9 months old. I know they won't remember it, but they sure seemed to have a good time judging by the amount of time they spent smiling and giggling and just staring in fascination at all the new sights and sounds. I brought plenty of small toys to keep them busy up on deck during the day and during "high energy" times I would let them run off steam in an empty lounge or on the empty tennis court. At night, they enjoyed the lively music and colorful costumes of the production shows and the various lounges. Except for a couple hours while grandma watched them so I could go horseback riding, they were with me the entire time. It was real nice to be able to spend time with my boys without all the distractions of everyday life (bill paying, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.). I was real apprehensive about this cruise, but it worked out so well that I took them again at 18 months and I am planning their 3rd cruise for when they are 3.

These are all GREAT responses so far! Here's my two cents...

Fortunately my wife and I took our first cruise before we had any kids. We were instantly hooked. About a month after that first cruise we were given the news that we were going to blessed with our first child in about 8 months. Looking back, we knew what had happened... let's just say you can blame it on the Pina Colada's in San Juan. It was not a complete suprise as we were planning to start having children shortly after the cruise anyway.

After our daughter was born we figured we would slow down on travel, but the call of the Caribbean was too hard to not listen to. While on our second cruise, our daughter celebrated her first birthday. Again after that trip we found out we were expecting another child (I wondered why my wife was SO crabby that last day of the cruise... it wasn't just because we had to go home).

Since that time our kids have been on every subesquent cruise with us. Obviously neither of them saw Camp Carnival until they were two years old (that's their rules). We have only used the CC after 10PM babysitting option once so far. Also, it's a god-send that CC is now open during early seating dinner... our two go with the counselors to dinner and we can have a peaceful dinner (try keeping two kids occupied for a hour and a half at dinner with a thousand pieces of silverware and tablesettings in front of them and you will see what I mean).

While we do not expect the second child (now age 2, and about to go on his 4th cruise this August... btw, he will celebrate his 3rd birthday on the boat) to remember much of what he has done, we do expect our 4 year old to remember a lot of it. All we hear form her at home is "I want to go back to Camp Carnival" or "When are we going on the cruise boat?". She has the plush Funship Freddy with her in bed EVERY night (as does the little boy). She also has the Carnival Barbie that she plays with frequently. Anytime a Carnival commerical is on the TV both kids jump up and down and scream with delight. We have some of the Carnival panphlets/postcards from our TA sitting around the house that seem to get drug out all the time by the kids.

I guess it's really up to each individual family. I, personally, would not think of going on a cruise without my children, but can TOTALLY understand others who would like to get away for a while. How old is the youngest that they will enjoy it? Based on what we have been through, it's a matter of what you define as "enjoy". All kids will enjoy something (I would hope) at any age. If you are looking for when they will actually remember it months after they get home, I would say around age 2-3.

As a side note, to answer one of the original questions about taking kids to do excursions, the only "formal" excursion we have taken the kids on so far is the post-cruise Everglades Tour in MIA. We do, however, take them on shore in almost all ports, with the exception of Belize and Roatan (cruddy weather and not overly developed stops). Irregardless of where you go, you can probably find a beach somewhere. What we like to try to do is pick at least one port of call where mom and dad can spend time on an excursion during the morning and pick the kids up from CC at around noon. We have a little lunch and then head out to do some exploring/beach playtime.

Best age to start? I've cruised with kids from 9 months to 15 years old, and IMO, the "best" age for a first cruise is 5 years old. They should be old enough to want to go to the kids programs, and sit still, and be out of diapers so they don't incur the wrath of some people.....the most difficult age is toddler to 3, especially boys, yes it's sexist but I think girls can start a little earlier, they seem to have a better temperment for it. They might not want to go to the kids crew, they probably still need to nap, they don't like to sit still, and aren't great about listening and following directions, etc.

Believe it or not, 9 months was easier than 2 years old. From 5 on up, in my experience kids just adore cruising, they have the best time, and most don't want to leave the kids clubs.

I'm taking my daughter on her first cruise next month. She's 33. I guess I'm selfish but cruising to me is for relaxing. Keeping up with a child does not fit that bill.

Wow, you needed to "keep up with her" until she was 33? What a handful!;)

To the OP...like you said, it depends on the child.

I wouldn't have taken my children until the youngest was at least 8..and NOT because they were bad..on the contrary...they were EXCELLENT...meaning until they were about 6 they napped every day and slept 10 -12 hours per night. I'd have had to spend a lot of money just to sit in a cabin all day.

Not my cup of tea.

Plus, I am WAY too practical to spend that kind of money for a child. My thoughts were that if I am going to spend a fortune, I'll take them to Disney...Busch Gardens...or someplace like that, which to me is MEANT for kids. I never felt a cruise was meant for a young child at all....they especially weren't back then. Now, in the same situation, if I were to take them on a cruise ship before the ages of 15 (which was how old my youngest was when I took them on their first cruise) I'd definitely do a Disney Cruise. I honestly don't see Carnival as a place for kids...camp or no camp.

Our boys were 8 and 12 on their first cruise. They had both travelled alot, but mostly along the East Coast and a trip to AZ. They had been to Walt Disney World about 6 times. We sailed in February and had a Disney trip planned for December. As we were disembarking they asked if we could cancel Disney and plan another cruise instead. While onboard, we have a rule that they have to eat dinner with us and spend all port days with us. From there, it was up to them how much time they spent in the Kids Club. My older DS met a group of kids from all over the US, France, England, and Canada and he still keeps in touch with some of them by email. My younger DS met up with a boy he hung out with all week and was thrilled to find on our second cruise as well. I think that cruising has been a wonderful vacation for our family, and I THINK that they have been very well behaved on all of our trips. However, that being said, I could never have taken the first one on a cruise as a toddler. He was just to active and mischievious. He would have been one of those children you read about on these boards that ruin others vacations. The younger one was a dream toddler and would have been fine on the cruise. So, my very long story was just my way of saying that it all depends on the kid.

Tammy

To the OP...like you said, it depends on the child.

I wouldn't have taken my children until the youngest was at least 8..and NOT because they were bad..on the contrary...they were EXCELLENT...meaning until they were about 6 they napped every day and slept 10 -12 hours per night. I'd have had to spend a lot of money just to sit in a cabin all day.

Not my cup of tea.

Plus, I am WAY too practical to spend that kind of money for a child. My thoughts were that if I am going to spend a fortune, I'll take them to Disney...Busch Gardens...or someplace like that, which to me is MEANT for kids. I never felt a cruise was meant for a young child at all....they especially weren't back then. Now, in the same situation, if I were to take them on a cruise ship before the ages of 15 (which was how old my youngest was when I took them on their first cruise) I'd definitely do a Disney Cruise. I honestly don't see Carnival as a place for kids...camp or no camp.

Well said!

Archived