Hotel in Amsterdam pre and post cruise in August

Hi all - need some advice for hotels in Amsterdam for one night pre and 3 nights post cruise. First trip to Amsterdam and we would like to be near everything, but also looking for quiet area. A small local hotel would be great, but not averse to staying at a larger hotel or chain. Does anyone have a place they have stayed at and can recommend? :)

We stayed at the Movenpick this past November. Hotel is right next door to the cruise terminal. It's a 5 minute walk to central station. Not centrally located but we like to walk and had no problems walking to all there was to see. Very quiet area. We booked our stay thru the cruise line (did a river cruise) but many people have booked this hotel on priceline for about $85 per night. Hotel is spotless, great restaurant and the staff is awesome.

We stayed at the Hilton which was the other side of the Volkspark from the City Centre. We were happier with that quieterarea than had we been in the centre which was perhaps 20 minutes walk away, although on a bus route if needed.

We stayed at The Toren before our cruise last year. Loved it! Excellent service! They even made DH sandwiches at 3 am when everything was already closed at the hotel and he wasn't up to looking for a febo.

After the cruise we spent one night at the Grand Hotel Amrath. It is beautiful and has huge rooms but you can't control the a/c and it can get hot on the top floor and only 1 window opens from each room.

We didn't have trouble walking everywhere and it never took more than 20 minutes to get anywhere we wanted to go on foot.

I have also stayed at the Movenpick & will be staying there again for 4 days post cruise next month. As previously posted, it is right next to the cruise terminal. You can catch tram #26 in front of the hotel (takes you to Centraal station in under 5 mins) or you can easily walk to Centraal Station. We like the rooms on the upper floors for gorgeous views overlooking the water. BTW, we used Priceline's NYOP & scored our rooms for $72 per night ... a steal for a 4 star hotel in AMS! :)

We stayed at The Toren before our cruise last year. Loved it! Excellent service! They even made DH sandwiches at 3 am when everything was already closed at the hotel and he wasn't up to looking for a febo.

After the cruise we spent one night at the Grand Hotel Amrath. It is beautiful and has huge rooms but you can't control the a/c and it can get hot on the top floor and only 1 window opens from each room.

We didn't have trouble walking everywhere and it never took more than 20 minutes to get anywhere we wanted to go on foot.

Thank you for the recommendation and wonderful post. Just spent the last hour or so reading your entries. Sounds like a wonderful cruise. We are so looking forward to being on the Connie in August for our 12 day Baltics cruise,

I have also stayed at the Movenpick & will be staying there again for 4 days post cruise next month. As previously posted, it is right next to the cruise terminal. You can catch tram #26 in front of the hotel (takes you to Centraal station in under 5 mins) or you can easily walk to Centraal Station. We like the rooms on the upper floors for gorgeous views overlooking the water. BTW, we used Priceline's NYOP & scored our rooms for $72 per night ... a steal for a 4 star hotel in AMS! :)

Thanks so much for your recommendation. What Priceline NYOP neighborhood is the Movenpick located in? We booked our pre cruise room through Priceline nyop for $130 at the grand Krasnapolsky. We still need a room for 2 nights post cruise.

Thank you for the recommendation and wonderful post. Just spent the last hour or so reading your entries. Sounds like a wonderful cruise. We are so looking forward to being on the Connie in August for our 12 day Baltics cruise,

I'm glad you liked it :).

Here's one review:

"..this was the worst stay in a Starwood property for many years.

We are coming to the Pulitzer once or twice per year since many years now, enjoying the"quirkiness" of the place, created by numerous Canal Houses being interconnected as well as the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. In the past we stayed in Executive Rooms or one of the Suites. I booked a Deluxe room this time (not sure why on reflection). As a Platinum Life guest I usually enjoy upgrades, which of course are based on availability. When I checked my reservation the day prior, I noticed that the room category had been changed to an Executive Room with Canal view. On arrival in our room the next day we were in for a major shock, a tiny room with wooden floors that were slightly loose and badly stained, a view of a courtyard approx 10 X 10 foot, on the right and left looking into other rooms, so close that with windows open you could overhear conversations. Across from the room you look a a brightly lid hallways 24/7. You have to lean out of the window to see the sky and check on the weather. Not sure what's Deluxe about this. We requested a room change the next day, even pay more, however we're told they were fully booked- strangely when I checked the SPG reservations system rooms up to Executive Room and Canal View rooms were still sold, however the reception staff denied this, even so I showed them on my computer.

There must be surely better Deluxe rooms than that; to give such a room to someone holding the highest Starwood Guest level is close to an insult - I can hardly imagine any rooms being more awful than the one we were given. Things were topped off by constant disturbance from the people in the room above, trampling on the wooden floors at all hours of the night and loud banging noise echoing through the courtyard in the early hours of the morning.- this was truly one of the most horrible stays I had at a Starwood Property and definitely the most horrific room I ever experienced. Breakfast in the mornings was at times very chaotic, clearly not enough staff around and tables remained uncleaned and the wait to get service far too long.

On a positive not, staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Reception tried very hard to sort out our room issue, we were offered a room change for the last night, however, why would I pack and move on a Sunday afternoon, when checking out early on Sunday morning. We received as well a bottle of champagne and a very nice note to apologies - unfortunately this did not compensate much for the negative experience.

Turndown service is only on request - requested it for the duration of my stay but was only lucky enough to have it once. Its "advertised" as being on request to allow more privacy - however, it sounds more like a cost saving initiative to me.

Staff overall is very friendly and really trying very hard - which is very refreshing.

The location of the hotel is great too as you can walk everywhere.

On check out on Monday, the computers did not work. As I needed to leave for the airport, I was unable to wait. Reception guaranteed to send me the bill by email imminently once systems are back operating. I checked that they had my private email details on file - to date I am still waiting to see the bill - unacceptable.

As such, if you stay here don't book anything bellow Canal View or Executive Room level if you don't want to risk living in terrible accommodation and request top floor, to avoid sleepless nights- but then, there are probably better hotels in that price category available in Amsterdam- I might check this out myself for future visits to this great city, which is very unfortunate as I still do like the hotel - but in the end a good hotel room and proper sleep should be guaranteed and it appears this is not the case any more at the Pulitzer - unless I was very unlucky this time around.

Room Tip: Don't book below Canal View or Executive Room. The main suites overlooking the main courtyard a...See more room tips

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple"

Archived