New to Princess

HOTROD1

This will be our 3rd cruise. The first two were on NCL which we enjoyed very much as we enjoy the casual attire and flexible dining. This year we are looking for new ports and are looking to choose between the Crown or Emerald.

A little background - traveling will be DH & myself + 18 year old son. Our 1st cabin had 3 of us in a mid-ship balcony (tight quarters). Second cabin was an Aft Suite for 3 (roomy, loved the priority tender tickets, embarkation and disembarkation.

For this sailing we are considering a mid-ship balcony + interior across the hall. DS loves this idea.

Will I miss the suite life by doing this or will we be happier giving up some perks to have our own space? Also, which ship - Emerald (10 days) or Crown (7 days)? Sailing date is Dec 29 so I would think there will be people of all ages on board either ship. Would you agree? I read one review where the OP couple were 51/54 and referred to the other passengers as old! :eek: We are 54/58. Hmmm

Any Princess or ship tips or suggestions we should consider?

Thank you in advance for your advise and comments

This will be our 3rd cruise. The first two were on NCL which we enjoyed very much as we enjoy the casual attire and flexible dining. This year we are looking for new ports and are looking to choose between the Crown or Emerald.

A little background - traveling will be DH & myself + 18 year old son. Our 1st cabin had 3 of us in a mid-ship balcony (tight quarters). Second cabin was an Aft Suite for 3 (roomy, loved the priority tender tickets, embarkation and disembarkation.

For this sailing we are considering a mid-ship balcony + interior across the hall. DS loves this idea.

Will I miss the suite life by doing this or will we be happier giving up some perks to have our own space? Also, which ship - Emerald (10 days) or Crown (7 days)? Sailing date is Dec 29 so I would think there will be people of all ages on board either ship. Would you agree? I read one review where the OP couple were 51/54 and referred to the other passengers as old! :eek: We are 54/58. Hmmm

Any Princess or ship tips or suggestions we should consider?

Thank you in advance for your advise and comments

If you do the mid-ship + interior, get a Caribe Deck balcony. Plenty of room for son to join you there as the balconies are roomier.

Princess tends to have an "older" demographic compared to some lines, but your age group will not be considered old.:D

I don't know what your net difference would be (Dolphin mini or Caribe balcony and interior + solo supplement) but I had a taste of the Suite and am hooked. Does the Emerald or Crown have a Window Suite (no balcony)?

Would it be possible for your DS to find a cabin mate so that he would not have to pay a solo fare? Could the two of you do a suite on Caribe and have him across the hall in an interior? He would not be able to join you in Sabatini's. Are these itineraries port intensive? Then you don't need a suite.

Lots more questions then there are answers.

Renee

If you do a 10-day beginning on 29 December, I'm guessing that there will be fewer young adults your son's age, as most colleges start up by a few days after the first of the year (our first day of classes is 8 January, as are our three neighbouring institutions). The 10-day before it probably would be a younger demographic. And the 7-day would definitely, because 7-days always skew younger.

Archived