Should I ask Carnival about a TA price difference?

We booked our cruise direct with Carnival under the ES rate. I just used the first rep who answered the phone two weeks ago instead of calling my PVP since we haven't been happy with her performance lately. We have been looking at upgrading our cabin and have decided on a category that we like. Just for fun, I browsed pricing through a couple of big box online TA's since that's usually how we book and all of them show the same price which is $100 cheaper than the price Carnival is offering. I made sure that I had the state and VIFP boxes checked on each search. It looks like they are offering the price under the Early Saver rate, but Carnival shows that the cabin can only be booked under Fun Select on their site.

Since they changed the rules for TA's, pricing has always been the same between the online TA's and Carnival when I've checked so this is the first time I've seen a price difference. It would be nice to save $100 since we weren't planning to spend a lot on this cruise. Can or will Carnival match the price that is being offered by the online TA's for the same room or would it be a waste of my time to call and ask about the price difference?

We booked our cruise direct with Carnival under the ES rate. I just used the first rep who answered the phone two weeks ago instead of calling my PVP since we haven't been happy with her performance lately. We have been looking at upgrading our cabin and have decided on a category that we like. Just for fun, I browsed pricing through a couple of big box online TA's since that's usually how we book and all of them show the same price which is $100 cheaper than the price Carnival is offering. I made sure that I had the state and VIFP boxes checked on each search. It looks like they are offering the price under the Early Saver rate, but Carnival shows that the cabin can only be booked under Fun Select on their site.

Since they changed the rules for TA's, pricing has always been the same between the online TA's and Carnival when I've checked so this is the first time I've seen a price difference. It would be nice to save $100 since we weren't planning to spend a lot on this cruise. Can or will Carnival match the price that is being offered by the online TA's for the same room or would it be a waste of my time to call and ask about the price difference?

I think a waste of time.

Just do a phantom booking on Carnival (exact cabin category etc) and link the lower price....

then fill out the Early Saver Form online....

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/requestforms/cclearlysaverform.aspx

My hubby suggested this, but it's the last triple available in that cabin type so once we upgrade, there's nothing to price match to.

I shouldn't have been browsing because it always gets me into trouble, but I REALLY want this cabin. We got the extended balcony we wanted when we originally booked it, but I noticed this one was available and now I have fallen in love.

are you talking about the Pride cruise in September?

I see early saver listed on the Carnival page for that sailing. :confused:

Bill

are you talking about the Pride cruise in September?

I see early saver listed on the Carnival page for that sailing. :confused:

Bill

I forgot to mention that the cabin I want to upgrade to is a suite and ES is offered on every category except the suites right now on the Carnival site.

Go all the way to through the booking process first.

On-line TAs are notorious for hidden extras or the price being "no longer available" when you go to pay.

I tried it. I made it all the way through to the section where they wanted me to put down a deposit. The price remained the same.

I wish I knew why Carnival isn't offering the ES rate on suites and the online TA's are.

I forgot to mention that the cabin I want to upgrade to is a suite and ES is offered on every category except the suites right now on the Carnival site.

OK that explains that. I didn't think to look at suites since you said you weren't planning to spend a lot on this cruise.:p

Me being frugal automatically thought you were looking at cheap cabins. :o

Bill

OK that explains that. I didn't think to look at suites since you said you weren't planning to spend a lot on this cruise.:p

Me being frugal automatically thought you were looking at cheap cabins. :o

Bill

Right after I responded to you I realized that you probably thought I meant inside or OV since I said we were trying to be cheap. :o We are taking DS so we had to find a balcony cabin so we have an escape after he goes to bed. The suite is an attempt to have more room and a bathtub since he's deathly afraid of the shower for some reason. I've got an inflatable tub, but he's a BIG boy and it's not comfortable for any of us to use.

Check on Fareviewer to see if ES is available.

On my cruise, the ES rate didn't show on the website, but did on Fareviewer.

So, I called and changed our booking to ES.

Or, just call and ask! Good luck! :)

Carnival's website is probably correct pricing and not the online TA. Carnival does not give the ES rate on suites.

They do offer ES rates on suites. The only reason that we booked the Pride is because we had to cancel our ES suite on the Liberty for February of next year and we won't be able to book another cruise any time in 2014 or 2015. We used the ES future cruise credit to book the Pride. (minus the $150 administrative fee of course)

Check on Fareviewer to see if ES is available.

On my cruise, the ES rate didn't show on the website, but did on Fareviewer.

So, I called and changed our booking to ES.

Or, just call and ask! Good luck! :)

That's a great idea! I just checked and the ES rate is showing up on the Fare Viewer at the same price that the online TA's are offering! Thank you!!:D

That's a great idea! I just checked and the ES rate is showing up on the Fare Viewer at the same price that the online TA's are offering! Thank you!!:D

You're welcome!

It is strange they don't show all the rates on the website, but I guess they only promote certain ones at a time.

You're welcome!

It is strange they don't show all the rates on the website, but I guess they only promote certain ones at a time.

That makes sense. I never thought to check all of the rate codes listed on Fare Viewer and compare them to what the website lists to find the best price.

I just hung up the phone and have upgraded to a VS under the ES rate so we got it for $100 cheaper than the site was showing for the total price. That made up for most of the admin fees we have for canceling an ES cruise and re-booking this one. :D

Thank you!

Archived