Night tour at the Vatican

slidergirl

Has anyone ever done the night tour of the Vatican? I was looking to book my admission ticket to day and I saw this option:

"An extraordinary opportunity to visit the Vatican Museums after sunset.

Every Friday from May 3rd to July 26th and from September 6th to October 25th, the Museums will be open to visitors from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm (last entrance at 9:30 pm).

Visitors will be able to admire important collections, following an itinerary that includes the Pio-Clementine Museum, the Egyptian Museum, the Upper Galleries (Candelabra, Tapestries and Maps), the Raphael's Rooms, the Borgia Apartment, the Collection of Modern Religious Art, the Sistine Chapel.

Booking online is mandatory."

I'll happen to be there on 5/3. If nothing else, it'll be cooler and less crowded. But, I'm wondering if having the lighting in the evening would bring a different aspect to it.

Thanks! I think I will do the evening tour. I did Segrada Familia in Barcelona at both daytime and evening. The difference was fantastic.

Everyone here has been amazing in helping me with this solo trip. I'm now doing the Vatican in the evening, driving myself from Rome to Florence instead of taking the train, I got my restaurants from here (and Chowhound). I will try to return the favor and give what I've learned to others when I return.

We did the garden tour at the Vatican last May it was beautiful. At that time you could only book online on the Vatican website. If you have extra time in Rome it's worth doing.

That's what I originally wanted to book. Unfortunately, the Garden is closed until further notice. I emailed to find out and I was told there was no reopening date as of yet.

I just finished booking my evening ticket. I'll take a little nap at the hotel in the afternoon so I can do the evening and then off to dinner. It'll be a late night!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, my face is red. It is FRIDAY nights, not Saturday nights, for the Vatican. I didn't think twice about it until I went back to this thread today. I immediately panicked - I've got my dinner reservations for Roscioli on Saturday. Phew - I double-checked and it is indeed Friday nights. I'll be doing it in 8 days!!!!! Pre-Vatican dinner at Pizzarium, post-Vatican drinks at Il Sorpasso.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, we did that night tour in Vatican friday night. All Ok,not really crowdy. we went about 5.30 pm to St. Peter, had no line at all, 7 pm came to entrance to Museum, had very short line, got tickets, watched everything with minimal crowd.

Ok, we did that night tour in Vatican friday night. All Ok,not really crowdy. we went about 5.30 pm to St. Peter, had no line at all, 7 pm came to entrance to Museum, had very short line, got tickets, watched everything with minimal crowd.

I'm glad that worked out for you. If people are pre/post staying in Rome over a Friday night, I think they should really consider saving their Vatican trip until that evening. It ends up being a nice way to break up a day and have some afternoon time to sit back and relax before heading out.

One thing that really got to me - standing in St. Peters square at night after my Vatican Museum visit. I don't think there were over 50 other people around. Then, I imagined how it was on the day that the new Pope was announced - totally mind blowing!!!

Archived