Crazy bathroom size question. Shower for big guy?

puggsie

This is the first cruise for my husband and I haven't cruised in over 20 years so I can't remember bathroom size. We booked the Gem this June and have a mid ship balcony. My husband is 6' 6" and 380lbs. The shower size just occurred to me and now I am wondering if it will be a problem for him or if I should upgrade to a mini suite. I also heard about the spa pass and thought that could be an option. Am I crazy or do you think it will be a problem? If so, should I upgrade or go for the spa pass. Also, can anyone tell me what the spa showers are like? He is a pretty modest guy. Thanks in advance. This is also my first question but I have been reading your comments and I am grateful for all the wonderful advice, so thanks for that too :)

I'm 6' and 200 lbs and I thought the shower was small. But I lived with it! I'm sure it will be a tight fit, he'll probably won't be able to move around much in the shower. But he should be able to take a shower...

I'm sorry to be negative, but... my brother is 6'1' and 350 pounds and he *hated* the normal size shower. He fit, but he was very unhappy. Is an HC cabin an option? (sitting back and waiting for flames about whether morbid obesity qualifies for HC ... while we take our wheelchair dependent mother with Parkinsons on cruises).

Happy cruising,

el henry

I'm sorry to be negative, but... my brother is 6'1' and 350 pounds and he *hated* the normal size shower. He fit, but he was very unhappy. Is an HC cabin an option? (sitting back and waiting for flames about whether morbid obesity qualifies for HC ... while we take our wheelchair dependent mother with Parkinsons on cruises).

Happy cruising,

el henry

I would prefer to either upgrade or get the spa pass. I know he will hate the shower based on your brother's reaction. I should have thought about when I was bookings.Thanks for your insight.

I would prefer to either upgrade or get the spa pass. I know he will hate the shower based on your brother's reaction. I should have thought about when I was bookings.Thanks for your insight.

My vote would go to the mini suite. Here's a link to the bathroom/shower area in the mini on the Pearl, so it should be similar to the Gem:

Here's a video of a balcony cabin on the Gem

Why not show both to your husband and see which he would be more comfortable with and then decide from there.

AND if money is not an issue ... I would vote for the 2 bedroom Villa/Haven suite. WOW

Have a wonderful trip.

I did the mini suite on the Star 6 months ago and I prefer the shower only setup. The shower/tub in the mini is hard to get into. I am a 5"10, 230 lbs and I thonk the "problem" is more the toilet itself. That is a very cramped area....

I don't know it there are closed shower in the spa area... The ones I saw and remember are shaped and sized like a telephone booth without the door.

Fantastic information! Initially, I didn't want to '' spoil'' ourselves with an expensive room because I wanted to show my husband that a cruise was less expensive than a week at the Jersey Shore, and also because if he likes it, I want to be a frequent cruiser. So the mid ship balcony seemed liked the best option. If my husband is uncomfortable, however, my goal will be a flop because of it. Thanks so much! I'll see what he wants to do. I'm liking the idea of upgrading best because I will benefit from that as well, having a bigger room.

Thanks for your knowledge!

Rich Pupura (Sky comedian) says he just soaps up the sides of the shower and spins. I am 6' 240 and I found the showers to be, um, cozy. If the mini-suites have bigger showers then that might be the best answer but as mentioned the gym showers are larger too if he doesn't mind the time it takes to do that.

I found the shower to be fine on the Jewel which should be similar. No shower curtains to stick to you. The mini-suite is bigger, but the tub has a high sides to step over.

The toilet area is small in the mini-suite and balcony. This may be a bigger problem than the shower.

In the video of the regular balcony cabin shower that Milliesmom posted you can see that he will definitely "fit". The shower heads are hand held. The toilet area is where he's going to get into Olympic level gymnastics. The spa shower pic that she posted shows you that there is an excellent option for a daily shower there (with a curtain).

Look, you're already booked. Might as well go with what you've got if you're trying to show that this is a value-priced vacation. Just trust me on this: embarkation day is going to be absolute hell. If you know that fact going in you're not going to find yourself in tears at sailaway time (been there). You need a plan for unpacking and getting settled when sharing a small cabin (face it, they're all small) with a very large person or a bunch of kids (I have five adult and teen sons). If you can get him to lie down on the bed while you unpack you'll be ahead of the game! Everything else will work itself out. I wouldn't go spending thousands more to upgrade now.

In the video of the regular balcony cabin shower that Milliesmom posted you can see that he will definitely "fit". The shower heads are hand held. The toilet area is where he's going to get into Olympic level gymnastics. The spa shower pic that she posted shows you that there is an excellent option for a daily shower there (with a curtain).

Look, you're already booked. Might as well go with what you've got if you're trying to show that this is a value-priced vacation. Just trust me on this: embarkation day is going to be absolute hell. If you know that fact going in you're not going to find yourself in tears at sailaway time (been there). You need a plan for unpacking and getting settled when sharing a small cabin (face it, they're all small) with a very large person or a bunch of kids (I have five adult and teen sons). If you can get him to lie down on the bed while you unpack you'll be ahead of the game! Everything else will work itself out. I wouldn't go spending thousands more to upgrade now.

You're probably right. I am probably just trying to use it as an excuse to upgrade because I want the bigger room because I know it will be difficult for me. Lol

I don't think the problem will be the shower as much as the "toilet-in-a-cubbyhole" setup. Without putting too fine a point on it, the umm...business...can be accomplished without much trouble, but the ...after-business...is next to impossible. I found a little used public toilet on the Jewel near the Blue Lagoon that worked a lot better.

Space is an issue for my DW, toilet space to small, tub/shower side to high to left the leg, not enough room to change one's mind in the shower - answer, Owner's Suite - LARGE walk-in shower, huge toilet space. I know it is $$$, but if DW is not comfortable in the bathroom area, then the rest of the trip goes down hill. And the rest of the suite treats are icing on the cake.

You're probably right. I am probably just trying to use it as an excuse to upgrade because I want the bigger room because I know it will be difficult for me. Lol

Totally understand. I have my eyes on a two bedroom Villa suite on the Pearl. Separate living room. 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Only two of us, but would be so nice to have the extra room and also 2 showers etc for when we get ready.

Here's the 2 bedroom Villa:

Here's the Owner's suite:

Saw this in an review just a couple of minutes ago and thought I would pass it on:

"Rooms were ready around 12:30. My sister and I had inside rooms at 9163 and 9157. They were a little smaller than other cruise lines, but had plenty of storage. The shower was nicer than most too. If you are tall though the toilet may be difficult to use. You have to be slightly turned; if you are not your knees hit the wall. The beds were very comfortable. My parents had a mini-suite 11114 and it was very spacious (compared to our inside cabins). It had a sitting area and a much larger bathroom with a separated toilet area and a tub. The 6 of us were every comfortable being in there. We were all in there most of Glacier Bay. The cabin and the balcony did not feel cramped."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652787&highlight=favorite

This was on the NCL Pearl

Saw this in an review just a couple of minutes ago and thought I would pass it on:

"Rooms were ready around 12:30. My sister and I had inside rooms at 9163 and 9157. They were a little smaller than other cruise lines, but had plenty of storage. The shower was nicer than most too. If you are tall though the toilet may be difficult to use. You have to be slightly turned; if you are not your knees hit the wall. The beds were very comfortable. My parents had a mini-suite 11114 and it was very spacious (compared to our inside cabins). It had a sitting area and a much larger bathroom with a separated toilet area and a tub. The 6 of us were every comfortable being in there. We were all in there most of Glacier Bay. The cabin and the balcony did not feel cramped."

Yowza. Hadn't thought about the wall in front. May want to check that out.

Good looking out! Thanks!

Good looking out! Thanks!

You are welcome. I was reading it because it was a review of the Pearl which we are booked on next year. Then I saw the comment and knew it would apply to this thread too.

Always happy to share (well, maybe not the last chocolate chip cookie, but information never a problem ... :D )

Archived